Page 25 of 128 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 1274

Thread: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

  1. #241
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    I believe our only obligation is to solve simple poverty in our republic.

  2. #242
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,373

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I totally disagree with you...especially since the Fed has already admitted that one of the reasons for QE was to indirectly stimulate the economy through raising the stock market. And this goes along with the second Fed mandate which is for 'full employment'.

    Please show me exactly where Bernanke said that QE was started and continued ONLY for deflation?

    Btw - there is NOTHING free market about QE.
    You disagree that you are talking like a socialist by dissing the stock market gains? Why is that a problem to you? Did you scream when Bush tried to boost it with the housing bubble too or is just when a Democrat is in the White house that you hate stock market gains? Preventing deflation IS stimulating for the economy by the way. There is no drag worse for an capitalist economy than deflation.
    Here's some reading for you about the Europeans that are now copying the Fed to head off their own deflationary pressures
    On Europe's move toward QE to prevent deflation | Credit Writedowns
    Last edited by iguanaman; 04-09-14 at 02:23 AM.

  3. #243
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    You disagree that you are talking like a socialist by dissing the stock market gains? Why is that a problem to you? Did you scream when Bush tried to boost it with the housing bubble too or is just when a Democrat is in the White house that you hate stock market gains? Preventing deflation IS stimulating for the economy by the way. There is no drag worse for an capitalist economy than deflation.
    Here's some reading for you about the Europeans that are now copying the Fed to head off their own deflationary pressures
    On Europe's move toward QE to prevent deflation | Credit Writedowns
    I could care less what some economist 'thinks' about this..or some faceless nobody on a chat forum.

    And you still have not shown me what I asked for...because you cannot.

    Here is an excerpt from a Bernanke speech in 2012:

    'Large-scale asset purchases can influence financial conditions and the broader economy through other channels as well. For instance, they can signal that the central bank intends to pursue a persistently more accommodative policy stance than previously thought, thereby lowering investors' expectations for the future path of the federal funds rate and putting additional downward pressure on long-term interest rates, particularly in real terms. Such signaling can also increase household and business confidence by helping to diminish concerns about "tail" risks such as deflation. During stressful periods, asset purchases may also improve the functioning of financial markets, thereby easing credit conditions in some sectors.'

    FRB: Speech--Bernanke, Monetary Policy since the Onset of the Crisis--August 31, 2012

    Right there I have proven your apparent assertion wrong that QE was 'being used by the Fed to stave off DEFLATION.' That may have been one of their goals...but it was not the only one...not by a mile.


    As for your inflation paranoia, it is just that.

    Deflation as the giant boogeyman is a Keynesian-style fallacy that has never been proven.

    Whereas large and sustained deflation is definitely not good....short term deflation is often necessary to correct an overinflated market sector.


    AS for 'dissing' the stock market gains...you are right I am. And so are Peter Schiff and Ron Paul and Jim Rogers and Marc Faber...all strong Austrian schoolers.
    And they do so because they (apparently) realize that this market boom is a fantasy...a non-fundamentals based increase that is on the back of Fed money 'printing' and little more.
    There is NOTHING capitalist about QE.

    And yes I thought the Fed/Bush housing bubble stimulation was wrong...I am neither rep nor dem. I believe in a free market...free of government meddling.


    Now I have zero intention of getting into some long-winded back-and-forth with you on this.

    Believe whatever you want on this, I don't much care - no offense.

    Good day.
    Last edited by DA60; 04-09-14 at 06:00 AM.

  4. #244
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    The concept is employment at will. Why not get a clue and a Cause.
    And on que, you prove my point.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #245
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    pinqy;1063132438]No, they don't match the definition of unemployed, therefore they're not unemployed, by definition. Why do you insist they're unemployed? And again, why discouraged and not other marginally attached?
    Yes, I understand that but that is the problem, they are indeed unemployed and the number is subjective. The reality remains, discouraged workers are not included in the labor force which benefits the incumbent when it comes to the official unemployment rate

    It's not arbitrary...there's a strict definition. there are strict definitions for all categories. And actually, for the February to March change, the official rate didn't change, but the U-4, which adds in the discouraged, went down. So in this case, including the discouraged would have made things look better.
    You can't compare a change in one metric to a level of another. It doesn't make any sense.
    The U-4 rate went down but it is higher than the official rate. The reality is that Obama has had record numbers of discouraged workers, more than double the average of Bush and discouraged workers remains subjective which is the point. Subjectivity has no business is reporting official numbers

    Why should they be counted in the labor force? They're not participating in the labor market...they're not available to work...they just distort the issue. And how are you figuring the definition of unemployed is subjective...it's quite objective. And which is is, do you want to include just discouraged or all people without jobs?
    Why? Because they are able body people capable of working. They do indeed distort the real number of people not working and thus unemployed

    Judged? There's not judging. Why would it make any difference to a person what category they fall in?
    President's take credit for the official number and the official number is understated, that is why it is wrong

  6. #246
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,985

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Travis007 View Post
    You got schooled that day... again you just played a symantics game and everyone knew that
    Facts are not semantics, no matter how much you want to believe otherwise. Furthermore, that was my stance from the very beginning, so the idea of "being schooled" is absurd, since it was my position from the first.

    and I never acknowldedged you to be correct ( huh?)
    Yes, you did. You even pointed out how people are not forced to buy insurance, which was the tax.
    everyone is forced to buy healthcare... or pay a fine..aka as FORCED
    The fact they are allowed to pay the tax proves they are not forced to have insurance. This is really simply stuff.

    now back on topic please
    I never left the topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    So you (apparently) admit that you have no unbiased, factual proof that had the government/Fed just left the economy 'alone' (no bail outs, QE's, mark-to-market rule changes, stimulus, etc.) that the U-3 would not be much lower then it is?
    That's correct, I cannot provide proof of something which did not happen because no one can prove something which never happened and asking someone to prove something which never happened is simply asinine.

    So is there a reason you're asking an irrelevant question which no one can answer?

  7. #247
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,897

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I could care less what some economist 'thinks' about this..or some faceless nobody on a chat forum.

    And you still have not shown me what I asked for...because you cannot.

    Here is an excerpt from a Bernanke speech in 2012:

    'Large-scale asset purchases can influence financial conditions and the broader economy through other channels as well. For instance, they can signal that the central bank intends to pursue a persistently more accommodative policy stance than previously thought, thereby lowering investors' expectations for the future path of the federal funds rate and putting additional downward pressure on long-term interest rates, particularly in real terms. Such signaling can also increase household and business confidence by helping to diminish concerns about "tail" risks such as deflation. During stressful periods, asset purchases may also improve the functioning of financial markets, thereby easing credit conditions in some sectors.'

    FRB: Speech--Bernanke, Monetary Policy since the Onset of the Crisis--August 31, 2012

    Right there I have proven your apparent assertion wrong that QE was 'being used by the Fed to stave off DEFLATION.' That may have been one of their goals...but it was not the only one...not by a mile.
    You're correct. I'm not sure why the other poster is arguing that improving market conditions wasn't a goal. The entire point of QE was to bring down the far end of the yield curve to improve liquidity and bank balance sheets. This included but was not limited to fighting deflation. That much is obvious.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  8. #248
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    And on que, you prove my point.
    You keep proving my point all the time.

    The concept is employment at will. Why not get a clue and a Cause.

  9. #249
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    monthly jobs report. rage or rejoice.
    How many jobs were lost?

    How many people were not counted as unemployed because they stopped looking for work?

  10. #250
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,112

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Soupnazi630 View Post
    How many jobs were lost?

    How many people were not counted as unemployed because they stopped looking for work?
    discussed earlier in the thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •