Page 2 of 128 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 1274

Thread: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    no, i assume the unemployment rate stayed the same because more people began looking for work again.

    How the Government Measures Unemployment
    It is a reasonable assumption. As reasonable as mine, I suppose.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:34 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,986

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by fmw View Post
    One would assume that, if the unemployment rate is unchanged that the economy lost about 192000 jobs as well?
    No, the economy was +192,000 jobs. When you take all the jobs which were added and remove the ones which were subtracted, you're left with 192,000.

    The reason for the unemployment rate not changing is generally due to a change in the number of people in the labor force (in this case, more people in the labor force).

  3. #13
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,134

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by AJiveMan View Post
    Bad news, I'm guessing Obama won't be reelected.

    no need for a reelection. Obama, Bush, and Hillary Clinton will cross the Potomac and form a new triumvirate. when this happens, every job report will become good and bad at the same time, resulting in division by zero and the space time continuum shrinking back to pre-big bang size and density. then everything will begin again.

    max out your credit cards.

  4. #14
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    No, the economy was +192,000 jobs. When you take all the jobs which were added and remove the ones which were subtracted, you're left with 192,000.

    The reason for the unemployment rate not changing is generally due to a change in the number of people in the labor force (in this case, more people in the labor force).
    Well then, other than my normal disbelief in whatever the government says, I'll view it as good news. Happy to know it.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Wages dropped, indicating these are primarily low wage and part time jobs. It's like the economy is settling into 6.7% unemployment.
    Yup.

    Average pay went down, manufacturing went down (slightly) and the largest area of growth outside of 'leisure and hospitality' was 'temporary help services'.

    Trillions of dollars pouring in from the Fed/government and record low interest rates and this is all it produces - other then propping up the stock markets (which benefits almost exclusively the rich).

  6. #16
    Paying To Play
    AJiveMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    wisconSIN
    Last Seen
    05-15-15 @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,775

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    no need for a reelection. Obama, Bush, and Hillary Clinton will cross the Potomac and form a new triumvirate. when this happens, every job report will become good and bad at the same time, resulting in division by zero and the space time continuum shrinking back to pre-big bang size and density. then everything will begin again.

    max out your credit cards.

  7. #17
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,697

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Yup.

    Average pay went down, manufacturing went down (slightly) and the largest area of growth outside of 'leisure and hospitality' was 'temporary help services'.

    Trillions of dollars pouring in from the Fed/government and record low interest rates and this is all it produces - other then propping up the stock markets (which benefits almost exclusively the rich).
    That is the other point that people need to understand. This is the economy on life support. These numbers we see today are not sustainable numbers. At some point the interest rates will rise above 0.25% and the fire hose spraying cash at banks will need to be turned off. That is when we find out what kind of economy we actually have.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  8. #18
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,050

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    monthly jobs report. rage or rejoice.
    Mixed bag, isn't it? I noticed that the number working part time for economic reasons had a increase of 225,000 in March. Not sure if that means that we actually had a loss in full time employment.

    Top Picks (Most Requested Statistics) : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

  9. #19
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,134

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric7216 View Post
    Mixed bag, isn't it? I noticed that the number working part time for economic reasons had a increase of 225,000 in March. Not sure if that means that we actually had a loss in full time employment.

    Top Picks (Most Requested Statistics) : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
    not sure; could be. there's this :

    Some other labor market indicators were also positive. The average workweek rose to 34.5 hours from 34.3 hours amid the better weather. Average hourly earnings dipped one cent, however, to $24.30.
    and then this :

    A broader measure of joblessness that includes part-time employees who prefer full-time jobs and those who've given up looking for work, as well as the unemployed — ticked up to 12.7% from 12.6%.
    Employers add 192,000 jobs in March

  10. #20
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Economy adds 192,000 jobs; unemployment rate holds steady at 6.7%

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Wages dropped, indicating these are primarily low wage and part time jobs.
    By one cent, yes. This would also be only the second time hourly wages have dropped in the past year.

Page 2 of 128 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •