Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 72

Thread: U.S. warns China not to attempt Crimea-style action in Asia

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: U.S. warns China not to attempt Crimea-style action in Asia

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Why do you say he is my good friend? You are not American, it seems.
    Obviously I was being facetious, as it appears at the very least Obama is not someone whose policies you are fond of, and it's possible you may actually hate him.

    I'm not in your mind, but perhaps you think I'm not American because you don't like what I have to say sometimes. I'm sorry about that, but the things people like Victoria Nuland do have an effect on my life.

  2. #52
    Bohemian Revolutionary
    Demon of Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    03-07-17 @ 12:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,095

    Re: U.S. warns China not to attempt Crimea-style action in Asia

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    The United States is too valuable to China so that would never happen - not to mention China and Russia aren't exactly "buddies" either. If Russia was to attack the US China would beat Russia into snot bubbles.. Russia is **** to China and China understands that Russia is being an aggressor at this point in time.
    While I do agree that Sino-Russian ties are not nearly as tight as some try to claim, I do not think it is accurate to say they understand "that Russia is being an aggressor" with regards to Ukraine. I think China understands full well that Russia's actions are a response to covert American machinations inside Ukraine. However, for Beijing its concerns are more about how Russia handled the matter. A big part of it is Russia invoking the Kosovo precedent to push Crimean secession.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    China would be North Korea if it wasn't for the United States so I have no idea why Obama being the mental reject he is is talking **** to China. Did it ever dawn on the idiot Obama that Chinas economy relies on the US economy?
    Here I have to really disagree with you. China would have become a booming market regardless of what the U.S. did as its pursuit of market reforms opened the country up to major growth and the rest of the Western world was already opening up to China when Washington finally got on board. The U.S. also relies on China a great deal and that reliance is only increasing. Eventually, I expect America's relationship to China to be akin to the U.K.'s relationship to the U.S.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joby View Post
    The minute China invokes Crimea to annex some islands is the minute we should begin invoking Crimea and call for Tibetans to hold a referendum on independence.
    The situations are not equivalent at all. For centuries Tibet has been under Chinese control and recognized as Chinese territory. Only the dispute over the East China Sea has China on somewhat shaky ground, with their claims over the South China Sea having the strongest standing of all claimants and their claims on Taiwan recognized by the United Nations. China is not going to invoke Crimea and the comparison of these disputes to Crimea is nonsensical.
    "For what is Evil but Good-tortured by its own hunger and thirst?"
    - Khalil Gibran

  3. #53
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S. warns China not to attempt Crimea-style action in Asia

    China has absolutely no reason to give a damn what the USA says about anything. Its a known fact we have a president who will do absolutely nothing whatever China did.

    Every country on earth should obtain any and all possible weapons of mass destruction for their own survival and the survival of their government officials. History is clear. Every time a government has agreed to give up weapons of mass destruction that country or government is attacked by the superpower(s) demanding they disarm first.

    Japan has the means to build nuclear weapons and delivery systems very quickly. They should do so. So should S. Korea and every other country in the world.

    Obama should be labeled as the president who initiated a new worldwide nuclear arms race - but the media of course won't breathe a word of it. It will just seemingly happen over the next 20 years.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: U.S. warns China not to attempt Crimea-style action in Asia

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Obviously I was being facetious, as it appears at the very least Obama is not someone whose policies you are fond of, and it's possible you may actually hate him.

    I'm not in your mind, but perhaps you think I'm not American because you don't like what I have to say sometimes. I'm sorry about that, but the things people like Victoria Nuland do have an effect on my life.
    What is this "hate" thing? I hate no one! Perhaps English is not your first language but it is a word you should avoid. Victoria Nuland is a minor functionary.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: U.S. warns China not to attempt Crimea-style action in Asia

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Here's another reason why it was a bad idea to have been over aggressive in the UKraine with regards to Yanukovych rejecting the EU deal. That's something we should have left for the Europeans to do. It appears that we have opened a can of worms. Do we really want to go to war with China too over some small islands that the Japanese claim? It's time for a serious rethink of our foreign policy.

    U.S. warns China not to attempt Crimea-style action in Asia
    China isn't a very aggressive nation, so I wouldn't worry about them.

    Of course I would be opposed to any hostility, however Japan tortured China for 100's of years, of course the majority of present day Japanese had nothing to do with that so they shouldn't be held accountable over Japans former Napoleon complex.

    I may go a little off topic here but, given the size of Japan it was simply amazing how aggressive they were with China and the US back in the day... Japan was really aggressive and they got their jollies off torturing the Chinese... I'm shocked China hasn't already taken Japan as compensation for Japan's moonbattery.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: U.S. warns China not to attempt Crimea-style action in Asia

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    China has absolutely no reason to give a damn what the USA says about anything. Its a known fact we have a president who will do absolutely nothing whatever China did.

    Every country on earth should obtain any and all possible weapons of mass destruction for their own survival and the survival of their government officials. History is clear. Every time a government has agreed to give up weapons of mass destruction that country or government is attacked by the superpower(s) demanding they disarm first.

    Japan has the means to build nuclear weapons and delivery systems very quickly. They should do so. So should S. Korea and every other country in the world.

    Obama should be labeled as the president who initiated a new worldwide nuclear arms race - but the media of course won't breathe a word of it. It will just seemingly happen over the next 20 years.
    I think China gives a **** about it's economy and they wouldn't have one without the US.

    The only nation in this fiasco that truly doesn't care is Russa because Putin is a blatant communist and is ideologically similar to Stalin and IMO he is pissed he cant get away with playing Stalin...

    I've said it before and I will say it again - Russia (or better yet Putin) want's the USSR back and he wants every resource in Europe.

    IMO, If I was the POTUS I would tell China to take care of Putin - I wouldn't even get involved in that nonsense. You better believe China would listen to because the United States is way more valuable to China than Russia.... Russia is a ****hole that builds hotels out of cardboard - they have nothing to offer China... Russia is not important to the global economy - Russia is a novelty at best.

  7. #57
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,399

    Re: U.S. warns China not to attempt Crimea-style action in Asia

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I followed most of what you had to say and I would like to respond. But before I do, could you please clarify what you mean by
    "They would not have done so with the threat of today, had the EU acted quickly after unification."

    The word "unification" was poorly chosen. It is the main event here in Germany, but actually it was die implosion of soviet dominance that was the driving event. In the aftermath there was a window of opportunity that the EU missed. During that time the Russians were too occupied with their immediate domestic affairs and were open to all sorts of negotiated solutions. At that time the EU (and NATO) could have closed the issue without too many real problems. Developments since then, Russia is more coordinated and thus powerful and Schröder's gas deal has made Europe quite dependent, have made it much more difficult for the EU to act unilaterally ie against perceived Russian interests in Ukraine. The EU personnel should (and possibly did) know(n) this.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: U.S. warns China not to attempt Crimea-style action in Asia

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    What is this "hate" thing? I hate no one! Perhaps English is not your first language but it is a word you should avoid. Victoria Nuland is a minor functionary.
    Ok. If you don't hate him that's good. Some people do. I didn't say you actually did, I merely said it's possible. But you have provided clarification, and I will take your word for it.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: U.S. warns China not to attempt Crimea-style action in Asia

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    China isn't a very aggressive nation, so I wouldn't worry about them.

    Of course I would be opposed to any hostility, however Japan tortured China for 100's of years, of course the majority of present day Japanese had nothing to do with that so they shouldn't be held accountable over Japans former Napoleon complex.

    I may go a little off topic here but, given the size of Japan it was simply amazing how aggressive they were with China and the US back in the day... Japan was really aggressive and they got their jollies off torturing the Chinese... I'm shocked China hasn't already taken Japan as compensation for Japan's moonbattery.
    China isn't very aggressive, but Taiwan was actually a part of China until Mao defeated the regime that was in China. So they regard Taiwan as part of China, and that is an issue that is a very sore point for them. It leaves them exposed to advanced US weaponry being placed right next to them, so to say the least they are very uncomfortable about it.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: U.S. warns China not to attempt Crimea-style action in Asia

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    "They would not have done so with the threat of today, had the EU acted quickly after unification."

    The word "unification" was poorly chosen. It is the main event here in Germany, but actually it was die implosion of soviet dominance that was the driving event. In the aftermath there was a window of opportunity that the EU missed. During that time the Russians were too occupied with their immediate domestic affairs and were open to all sorts of negotiated solutions. At that time the EU (and NATO) could have closed the issue without too many real problems. Developments since then, Russia is more coordinated and thus powerful and Schröder's gas deal has made Europe quite dependent, have made it much more difficult for the EU to act unilaterally ie against perceived Russian interests in Ukraine. The EU personnel should (and possibly did) know(n) this.
    So what do you think the EU/NATO could have done then with regards to Ukraine that would have made a difference to the current situation?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •