Page 91 of 179 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141 ... LastLast
Results 901 to 910 of 1784

Thread: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

  1. #901
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    Thank you for the link, but I don't see anything in there that contradicts the Washington Post claim that 7 out of 10 blacks supported Prop 8, making them bigots. He says that "exit polls suggest" that 6.2 out of 10 were bigots instead of 7 out of 10.
    The point of all that is that support for Obama wasn't the reason Prop 8 passed. It wasn't so much black people as it was old people. Younger black people, younger people in general, and first-time voters (three of Obama's big demographics) vote by a large margin in favor of marriage equality. Prop 8 passed because of all the old people who voted for it, and older black people vote Democrat anyway and were always going to do so.

    An important quote: " If California’s electorate had been the same as it was in 2004, Prop 8 would have passed by a wider margin."

    And yes, I think people who take it upon themselves to vote against someone else's relationship are bigots. As a Minnesotan it was offensive that I was given this option in 2012. Who the hell am I to decide whether or not someone else's relationship is acceptable? Why is it my business? But let's call a spade a spade: the problem isn't black people, it's old people. Old people are against same-sex marriage more and they also vote more.

    Or they did, anyway. That majority has, quite literally, died. All four votes on the issue went in favor of marriage equality in 2012. I don't expect any vote from here on out is going to go differently.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #902
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    You should be held accountable for your opinions or suffer the consequences. Is that your point?
    No, because those two things are pretty much the same thing.

    My point is that no man is an island and if a person's "free" political exercise has negative consequences on another, that other may do something to defend themselves. This is what happened. His actions ran the risk of hurting other people (and helped do that before a judge overturned that harm) and people who are hurt tend to want to defend themselves.

  3. #903
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    That would have been removing a right, not adding a right. It makes no sense.
    Your posts are simply devolving into incoherence at this point.

  4. #904
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    You are not qualified to participate in this discussion, though it's clear you will continue to do so anyway.
    Is it you who decides who is qualified or not? Are you the man from GLAAD? Am I about to lose my job?

  5. #905
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The point of all that is that support for Obama wasn't the reason Prop 8 passed. It wasn't so much black people as it was old people. Younger black people, younger people in general, and first-time voters (three of Obama's big demographics) vote by a large margin in favor of marriage equality. Prop 8 passed because of all the old people who voted for it, and older black people vote Democrat anyway and were always going to do so.

    An important quote: " If California’s electorate had been the same as it was in 2004, Prop 8 would have passed by a wider margin."

    And yes, I think people who take it upon themselves to vote against someone else's relationship are bigots. As a Minnesotan it was offensive that I was given this option in 2012. Who the hell am I to decide whether or not someone else's relationship is acceptable? Why is it my business? But let's call a spade a spade: the problem isn't black people, it's old people. Old people are against same-sex marriage more and they also vote more.

    Or they did, anyway. That majority has, quite literally, died. All four votes on the issue went in favor of marriage equality in 2012. I don't expect any vote from here on out is going to go differently.
    The black people causing prop 8 to pass was good for a few yucks, but it was ultimately a false narrative. If you look at the actual demographics the largest contributing statistic wasn't race, or even old people, but religion.

  6. #906
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    No, because those two things are pretty much the same thing.

    My point is that no man is an island and if a person's "free" political exercise has negative consequences on another, that other may do something to defend themselves. This is what happened. His actions ran the risk of hurting other people (and helped do that before a judge overturned that harm) and people who are hurt tend to want to defend themselves.
    The man donated $1000 to Proposition 8, and many other people did the same thing. How did this have negative consequences on anyone?

  7. #907
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    The man donated $1000 to Proposition 8, and many other people did the same thing. How did this have negative consequences on anyone?
    It helped facilitate a legal condition where people could not follow their hearts and personal belief in what their rights are (from the perspective of their morality).

  8. #908
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Is it you who decides who is qualified or not? Are you the man from GLAAD? Am I about to lose my job?
    Since you don't even understand what rights are being denied to gay people, yes, you are unqualified to discuss this issue. If I were in your position I would make myself scarce instantly.

  9. #909
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Is your point that people should not be held accountable for their beliefs?
    It is impossible to hold someone responsible for their beliefs.

  10. #910
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,953
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    It can be debated either point was "righteous". People have a right to hear both sides and decide if they support side A or B or neither. That's called living in a democracy.
    Of course people have a right to hear both sides. I was not saying that they don't or shouldn't.

    What I was pointing out is that once people wrap themselves up in what they believe to be a righteous position, they tend not to listen to any additional information or the other side anymore. This is a behavior pattern exhibited on both sides of nearly any issue.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •