Page 44 of 179 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 1784

Thread: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

  1. #431
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    I see an answer, and I see someone trying to twist it around. Tsk, tsk.
    You clearly didn't read the exchange or you'd see that my example fit in with his "no one" comment, or that he didn't even attempt to deny it, and still won't because then his "no one" post would be unraveled.

  2. #432
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,566
    Blog Entries
    11

    re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    What? This was for a contribution he made six years ago? When he stood shoulder to shoulder with the beliefs of Barack Obama?
    Yeah, I was wondering when someone would point out that this guy was hounded out of a job for expressing the same opinions that the President did back then. Can we expect you guys to be hounding the President out of his job now? Just to be consistent? Just this once be consistent with the beliefs you yourselves espouse?

    Having said that I'm totally on board with this idea of having people lose their jobs because of their political opinions. There are far more conservatives running companies than the converse. I expect this would result in big improvements in our business culture and climate and far fewer expressions of liberal beliefs, not to mention far fewer donations to liberal and democratic candidates. Coupled with Citizens United and the more recent decision on donation limits I think we can put a stake right through the heart of the liberal Democratic faction. Happy days are here again!

    They set the precedent. Now I say use it against them.

    I'm kind of surprised that the LGBT community is resorting to these sorts of tactics. No matter how you slice it they are a tiny minority. They greatly depend on the sympathy of others. If they start acting like a bunch of Nazis they will lose that sympathy pretty quickly. As it stands I think you can expect gay activists to be beaten about the head and shoulders (figuratively speaking) over this on a regular basis during the public discourse about these issues.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  3. #433
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,491

    re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post


    Please tell me why I shouldn't conclude that you don't think voters are allowed to vote out the Senator for his contribution to the Nazi Party.
    Umm, because I didn't say that...perhaps?

    You're going to tell whatever lie you feel like telling, so guess reality is irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #434
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Umm, because I didn't say that...perhaps?

    You're going to tell whatever lie you feel like telling, so guess reality is irrelevant.
    Say, "Cardinal, I believe no such thing. Of course I believe people are allowed to vote out a Senator for contributing to the Nazi Party!"

    That's all you have to do. Do it, and all of this will go away like a bad dream.

  5. #435
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Yeah, I was wondering when someone would point out that this guy was hounded out of a job for expressing the same opinions that the President did back then. Can we expect you guys to be hounding the President out of his job now? Just to be consistent? Just this once be consistent with the beliefs you yourselves espouse?

    Having said that I'm totally on board with this idea of having people lose their jobs because of their political opinions. There are far more conservatives running companies than the converse. I expect this would result in big improvements in our business culture and climate and far fewer expressions of liberal beliefs, not to mention far fewer donations to liberal and democratic candidates. Coupled with Citizens United and the more recent decision on donation limits I think we can put a stake right through the heart of the liberal Democratic faction. Happy days are here again!

    They set the precedent. Now I say use it against them.

    I'm kind of surprised that the LGBT community is resorting to these sorts of tactics. No matter how you slice it they are a tiny minority. They greatly depend on the sympathy of others. If they start acting like a bunch of Nazis they will lose that sympathy pretty quickly. As it stands I think you can expect gay activists to be beaten about the head and shoulders (figuratively speaking) over this on a regular basis during the public discourse about these issues.
    People do lose their jobs for their political opinions all the time. That's why only idiots air their politics, and that's why we're anonymous. On my Facebook where I go under my real name, my opinions on political matters barely exist, and where I have alluded to them they're about as watered down as you can get.

  6. #436
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    This is taking an unnecessarily pedantic approach.



    https://brendaneich.com/2012/04/comm...and-diversity/

    Whether or not you agree with the content of Eich's response, it was extremely combative. And whether or not you agree taking a combative approach was the right thing to do, you can at least agree that it ended with him losing his job. I believe a different approach would have been wiser.



    Yes, Eich clearly went for that option, and he is now no longer CEO.
    The difference is not inconsequential. The field was changed after the fact, and the herd was then instructed to make noise.

    As to what he wrote via the link you provided, I couldn't agree more. It wasn't combative at all. I think he called out the thought police for the people they are, and warned of the precedent they were attempting to set.

    Obviously hypocrisy is now part of the mission statement there, which is too bad.

    However, their precedent has been set, and if history is any indicator, and it usually is, the results will not be good for them.

  7. #437
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,036

    re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    The difference is not inconsequential. The field was changed after the fact, and the herd was then instructed to make noise.
    And thus his departure was hilariously avoidable.
    As to what he wrote via the link you provided, I couldn't agree more. It wasn't combative at all. I think he called out the thought police for the people they are, and warned of the precedent they were attempting to set.
    I assume you mean you couldn't disagree more. Would you say that he took an apologetic or a head-on approach to his detractors?

  8. #438
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    People do lose their jobs for their political opinions all the time. That's why only idiots air their politics, and that's why we're anonymous. On my Facebook where I go under my real name, my opinions on political matters barely exist, and where I have alluded to them they're about as watered down as you can get.
    I'm unaware he "aired" his beliefs before his private donation was aired publicly by someone else. Have I missed something?

  9. #439
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,566
    Blog Entries
    11

    re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    People do lose their jobs for their political opinions all the time. That's why only idiots air their politics, and that's why we're anonymous. On my Facebook where I go under my real name, my opinions on political matters barely exist, and where I have alluded to them they're about as watered down as you can get.
    That's good to hear, because records of donations to political candidates and the like are made public, available through sites like opensecret.org. So it's a simple matter to root out people who donate no matter how quiet they might be at work about their politics. I'll bet a lot of managers don't even know about that. Perhaps they could be informed about which of their employees are suspect? After all, this is exactly what was done to Eich.

    But saying that it happens isn't the same thing as saying you approve of people getting fired for their politics. Do you approve of that?

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  10. #440
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,400

    re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    I'll just humiliate you

    *snicker*

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •