Page 175 of 179 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177 ... LastLast
Results 1,741 to 1,750 of 1784

Thread: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

  1. #1741
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    And what were the Republicans pushing for at the time?
    Wouldn't that depend on the Republican?

  2. #1742
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,835

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    And yet the evidence says it was the Democrats who crafted 'Don't Ask - Don't Tell' and the Defense of Marriage Act. Obama always claimed to be against Gay Marriage.
    Not true. As I understand it, around the time of DADT, Congress, led by GOPers, passed a law codifying a ban on allowing gays to serve in the military. DADT was the directive by Clinton that didn't overturn the ban, just directed the military to "Don't ask" and for gays to "Don't tell." But the reason those who were found out were discharged is because the law was for them to be discharged. Clinton had supported open service for gay - DADT was the supposed compromise between that and an outright ban.

    And DOMA was proposed in both houses by a republican, passed with large veto proof majorities, and Clinton signed it but never supported it.

  3. #1743
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Not true. As I understand it, around the time of DADT, Congress, led by GOPers, passed a law codifying a ban on allowing gays to serve in the military. DADT was the directive by Clinton that didn't overturn the ban, just directed the military to "Don't ask" and for gays to "Don't tell." But the reason those who were found out were discharged is because the law was for them to be discharged. Clinton had supported open service for gay - DADT was the supposed compromise between that and an outright ban.

    And DOMA was proposed in both houses by a republican, passed with large veto proof majorities, and Clinton signed it but never supported it.
    Clinton signed it but never supported it, huh? He said this "I have long opposed governmental recognition of same-gender marriages and this legislation is consistent with that position".

    Was he lying again?

  4. #1744
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    21,835

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Clinton signed it but never supported it, huh? He said this "I have long opposed governmental recognition of same-gender marriages and this legislation is consistent with that position".

    Was he lying again?
    Granted. I should have said it was drafted by republicans, Clinton to my knowledge never campaigned on it, didn't hold a signing ceremony for it, which happened at 1am after a trip, and probably did what politicians do and signed a bill that passed with a veto proof majority, and the likely support of the independents he'd need 4 months later, and signed it, and threw his gay supporters overboard to help his chances in November 1996.

  5. #1745
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Granted. I should have said it was drafted by republicans, Clinton to my knowledge never campaigned on it, didn't hold a signing ceremony for it, which happened at 1am after a trip, and probably did what politicians do and signed a bill that passed with a veto proof majority, and the likely support of the independents he'd need 4 months later, and signed it, and threw his gay supporters overboard to help his chances in November 1996.
    Isn't it funny that when liberals enact legislation that is unpopular later, then it's never their fault, they had to do it. But a repub? Aw, their racist, homophobic, fill in the blank.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #1746
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by JasperL View Post
    Granted. I should have said it was drafted by republicans, Clinton to my knowledge never campaigned on it, didn't hold a signing ceremony for it, which happened at 1am after a trip, and probably did what politicians do and signed a bill that passed with a veto proof majority, and the likely support of the independents he'd need 4 months later, and signed it, and threw his gay supporters overboard to help his chances in November 1996.
    Do you not feel a twinge of embarrassment trying to cover for him when his position was made perfectly clear? It is the same with Obama.

    Why not just accept the truth and deal with is rather than feel the need to defend 'your side', even at the cost of your own integrity?

  7. #1747
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Do you not feel a twinge of embarrassment trying to cover for him when his position was made perfectly clear? It is the same with Obama.

    Why not just accept the truth and deal with is rather than feel the need to defend 'your side', even at the cost of your own integrity?
    Politicians don't HAVE positions.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #1748
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,890
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Thought Police on Patrol - Charles Krauthammer, Washington Post

    ". . . . Long a staple of academia, the totalitarian impulse is spreading. What to do? Defend the dissenters, even if — perhaps, especially if — you disagree with their policy. It is — it was? — the American way."
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  9. #1749
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    An example or two would be welcome here
    Cases where religious institutions have fired people for going against what THEY believe.

  10. #1750
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    And yet the evidence says it was the Democrats who crafted 'Don't Ask - Don't Tell' and the Defense of Marriage Act. Obama always claimed to be against Gay Marriage.
    Don't ask don't tell was a compromise to the anti-gay right so gay people can serve. Before that gay people couldn't serve without lying. I'd say Clinton did more for gays than any CON or the right did previously.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •