Page 116 of 179 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,160 of 1784

Thread: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

  1. #1151
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,035

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Oh, and I missed the fact that more significant than black people (again) was whether or not somebody had a gay family member. Shocker, that.

  2. #1152
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    LOL, of course you don't. And where are you from to characterize California like that? Do you look over here and just see West Hollywood and San Francisco?
    Here's the ABC News poll, not some contrived poll from "California Voters for Equality" which is most certainly not an unbiased observer.


  3. #1153
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    You know, I hear you and I understand your concerns about the "traditional" definition of marriage changing and how that concerns some. I don't share that concern though. Think about it for a minute. Historically, how humans define marriage has changed again and again. If it did change (again), from our current definition, how exactly would that harm anyone? How would it harm you? It wouldn't. You would live your and promote your understanding of it and others would do the same. Nothing in your life would change.

    As for the rest of the world or for future generations, I would guess that some would have concerns about the moral decay our society but there are many things that are rotting us from within at a much faster clip than the changing definition of marriage.

    It's hard not to believe that those who oppose altering our current definition of marriage, are primarily motivated by a fear of change or a fear that people will start marrying sheep or some such nonsense. I see their fear as their problem and while I would certainly make an effort to reassure them that everything will be okay, it's not enough to warrant not allowing the definition to evolve to something more inclusive.
    I share your feelings about marriage and its changes over the years. Personally I'm not against Gay marriage or polygamous marriages so long as the children and the rights of the individuals are protected. It seems that unwed mothers are a greater problem for society than Gay marriages.

    But this isn't about Gay marriage. It's about the harassment of a man for legally donating to a cause in which he believed and for which he was publicly vilified, losing his job in the process. That is shameful and no matter where anyone stands on marriage this selective attack on people for their view supporting traditional marriage between a man and a woman is worse than anything McCarthy is said to have stood for.

  4. #1154
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,035

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Here's the ABC News poll, not some contrived poll from "California Voters for Equality" which is most certainly not an unbiased observer.

    Yes, I'm familiar with the NEP poll. It's an outlier, and literally the only one that reports a number at 70%. All the rest are down in the mid 50's, which actually makes sense. As for the rest it supports what I've said, which is that ideology, party identification and faith were the driving factors behind prop 8 passing. Did you even read it?
    Last edited by Cardinal; 04-06-14 at 01:52 AM.

  5. #1155
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Yes, I'm familiar with the NEP poll. It's literally the only one that reports a number at 70%. All the rest are down in the 58% neighborhood, which actually makes sense. As for the rest it supports what I've said, which is that ideology, party identification and faith were the driving factors behind prop 8 passing. Did you even read it?
    If you want me to believe that 45% of Californians report going to church weekly, then post some other evidence in support of that position. As it stands now I believe that that poll was manipulated to achieve a desired outcome. I'll change my mind if you can actually support the fact that Californians are so overtly religious that 45% of them go to weekly service.

    Here's the LA Times on the black vote:

    He was thrilled that the nation elected its first African American president. But he was disappointed that black voters, traditionally among the most reliably liberal in the state, voted overwhelmingly to ban same-sex marriage. . . .

    Although many of the state's black political leaders spoke out against Proposition 8, an exit poll of California voters showed that black voters favored the measure by a ratio of more than 2 to 1. Not only was the black vote weighted heavily in favor of Proposition 8, but black turnout -- spurred by Barack Obama's historic campaign for president -- was unusually large, with African Americans making up roughly 10% of the state electorate.

    The exit poll didn't ask voters why they voted the way they did. But Madison Shockley, pastor of Pilgrim United Church of Christ in Carlsbad and among the roughly one-third of blacks who opposed Proposition 8, said the vote was understandable. "Black folks go to church, probably more than the Caucasian population, and the churches they go to tend to be very traditional."
    Last edited by RiverDad; 04-06-14 at 01:54 AM.

  6. #1156
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,035

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    If you want me to believe that 45% of Californians report going to church weekly, then post some other evidence in support of that position. As it stands now I believe that that poll was manipulated to achieve a desired outcome. I'll change my mind if you can actually support the fact that Californians are so overtly religious that 45% of them go to weekly service.

    Here's the LA Times on the black vote:

    He was thrilled that the nation elected its first African American president. But he was disappointed that black voters, traditionally among the most reliably liberal in the state, voted overwhelmingly to ban same-sex marriage. . . .

    Although many of the state's black political leaders spoke out against Proposition 8, an exit poll of California voters showed that black voters favored the measure by a ratio of more than 2 to 1. Not only was the black vote weighted heavily in favor of Proposition 8, but black turnout -- spurred by Barack Obama's historic campaign for president -- was unusually large, with African Americans making up roughly 10% of the state electorate.

    The exit poll didn't ask voters why they voted the way they did. But Madison Shockley, pastor of Pilgrim United Church of Christ in Carlsbad and among the roughly one-third of blacks who opposed Proposition 8, said the vote was understandable. "Black folks go to church, probably more than the Caucasian population, and the churches they go to tend to be very traditional."
    So now you don't like your own source? LOL.

    Anyway, about all those black people voting "overwhelmingly" to ban same sex marriage. Let's look at all the polls instead of just the outlier that everybody peed their pants over.

    differentpolls.jpg

    Yeah, I know you don't like my source, but I tracked down enough of the polls in that screen cap to see they were real. Simply put, the numbers don't support your narrative. In fact, you continue to cherry pick your own source by ignoring the ideology, party identification and age factors.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 04-06-14 at 02:18 AM.

  7. #1157
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    In fact, you continue to cherry pick your own source by ignoring the ideology, party identification and age factors.
    Don't start arguing against a strawman. You made a claim that race was irrelevant to the vote. I falsified your claim. That's all I did. I didn't advance some counter argument that race was the only issue or whatever you may be imagining.

    All of our comments to each other are quoted, so you can backtrack up the chain and see what you said to start this and what I said in response.

    Also, the only poll taken on the day of the vote was the NEP poll.

  8. #1158
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    I'll change my mind if you can actually support the fact that Californians are so overtly religious that 45% of them go to weekly service.
    Not so sure why you are so concerned with that. Fact remains many people, even religious, are more open now to gay marriage being legal.

    It's much like pornography. Religious people will tell you that pornography is wrong. The majority of those same people believe that pornography shouldn't be illegal. Now you don't believe me? Why isn't pornography illegal? Because there isn't a majority that believes it should be.

    It's going to be the same with gay marriage. People will still believe it isn't moral, but they don't believe it should be illegal either.

    That's the beuaty of this country, people can believe something isn't moral, however, it's legal. There are people TO THIS DAY that believe interracial marriage is immoral. They just don't have the legal power federally to say so. Freedom of religion still can happen with SSM being legal, just like some people believe to this day that interracial marriage is immorally wrong. They just don't have the federal legal power to say so.

    What many religious folk don't realize is, that legal does not equate to moral.

    Pornography is legal, but not moral to many religious folk.

  9. #1159
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Not so sure why you are so concerned with that. Fact remains many people, even religious, are more open now to gay marriage being legal.

    It's much like pornography. Religious people will tell you that pornography is wrong. The majority of those same people believe that pornography shouldn't be illegal. Now you don't believe me? Why isn't pornography illegal? Because there isn't a majority that believes it should be.

    It's going to be the same with gay marriage. People will still believe it isn't moral, but they don't believe it should be illegal either.

    That's the beuaty of this country, people can believe something isn't moral, however, it's legal. There are people TO THIS DAY that believe interracial marriage is immoral. They just don't have the legal power federally to say so. Freedom of religion still can happen with SSM being legal, just like some people believe to this day that interracial marriage is immorally wrong. They just don't have the federal legal power to say so.

    What many religious folk don't realize is, that legal does not equate to moral.

    Pornography is legal, but not moral to many religious folk.
    Do you think that morality has increased or decreased during the last generation? What is the source of public morality, or is it all about laws?

  10. #1160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Mozilla’s CEO steps down amid gay marriage furor[W:577]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Do you think that morality has increased or decreased during the last generation? What is the source of public morality, or is it all about laws?
    In EVERY generation morality is different. Why should YOUR morality be the BASELINE? I mean when what YOU were doing as a kid was different than your parents. What YOU did as a generation was different than your parents. And don't try to tell me it wasn't. You may not have participated personally but your generation did and it changed things.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •