Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 248

Thread: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood[W:87, 145]

  1. #231
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    When I was in the Army, male billets were off limits to females.
    And as I said, things are changing. They aren't all off limits now. Some still are, but not all of them. Visitors aren't generally allowed to stay overnight (but then again, most don't allow for any overnight guests of either gender), but many do allow for visitors during the day at least.

    Plus, again, the original assertion was made about a married member and his wife being sneaked onbase, not into a barracks room. In most cases, on bases here in the US, there would have been no need to sneak her onbase. And in most cases, that married person would not have been in the barracks but rather in housing out in town or possibly onbase (although most military housing has moved offbase for most places) but where she would also be.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #232
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    And as I said, things are changing. They aren't all off limits now. Some still are, but not all of them. Visitors aren't generally allowed to stay overnight (but then again, most don't allow for any overnight guests of either gender), but many do allow for visitors during the day at least.

    Plus, again, the original assertion was made about a married member and his wife being sneaked onbase, not into a barracks room. In most cases, on bases here in the US, there would have been no need to sneak her onbase. And in most cases, that married person would not have been in the barracks but rather in housing out in town or possibly onbase (although most military housing has moved offbase for most places) but where she would also be.
    I doubt youll find and enlisted barracks, in the Army, that aren't off limits to opposite sex soldiers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #233
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I doubt youll find and enlisted barracks, in the Army, that aren't off limits to opposite sex soldiers.
    I was allowed to go into my brother's barracks on Fort Hood when I visited him. I had a hotel room for the night offbase, but I still could go into his barracks room when I was onbase. And that was over 10 years ago.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #234
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I was allowed to go into my brother's barracks on Fort Hood when I visited him. I had a hotel room for the night offbase, but I still could go into his barracks room when I was onbase. And that was over 10 years ago.
    When I was at Ft. Hood, females weren't allowed in male enlisted billets. Your brother probably violated unit policy and you just didnt realize it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #235
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    When I was at Ft. Hood, females weren't allowed in male enlisted billets. Your brother probably violated unit policy and you just didnt realize it.
    No. I looked it up. There are several Army bases that allow females to be in male enlisted barracks during the day and vice versa. (As I've said, they can't stay overnight.)

    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6003607AAmepgU

    It is generally up to the commander of the base at the time as to whether it is allowed or not. This is just like the policy of the Navy. It is up to the base CO for us. And there are plenty of soldiers who confirm this. The only commands I know of that have a strict no opposite sex visitors policy that doesn't depend on the CO is training commands. It is considered a quality of life improvement because it is unrealistic to expect service members to not have friends or family members of the opposite sex and for them to not want to spend time with their loved ones even on base, including seeing where they live. But there is also the fact that why should a servicemember be kept from having a person of the opposite sex in their room to play games or watch movies with, even during the middle of the day? Sure, they could be having sex, but it is less likely to happen with a roommate and they are adults if they don't have a roommate.

    But I was there even while they were mustering, right in front of his chain of command and they didn't say anything about me being there. They all knew I was there and who I was visiting. And I know I signed in to be in my husband's room at K Bay in Hawaii.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #236
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,689

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood[W:87, 145]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Ok: allow NCO's and certain officers to carry sidearms.
    There is ni need to overeact to the very very VERY occasional instances of armed attacks on military installations. No need for 'special' rules. I'd say this can be solved by allowing Soldiers to exercise their Constitutional right to carry a concealed firearm legally. Military installations arent different from civilian installations. Those intent on violating the law will. Law abiding citizens are and will be law abiding citizens.

  7. #237
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,689

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Unlike the civilian world, really this is about a soldier doing their basic job, General Order #1. Gun-free-zones are prejudicial to the maintenance of good order and conduct.


    I dont think thats all that different from the Civ world.

  8. #238
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No. I looked it up. There are several Army bases that allow females to be in male enlisted barracks during the day and vice versa. (As I've said, they can't stay overnight.)

    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...6003607AAmepgU

    It is generally up to the commander of the base at the time as to whether it is allowed or not. This is just like the policy of the Navy. It is up to the base CO for us. And there are plenty of soldiers who confirm this. The only commands I know of that have a strict no opposite sex visitors policy that doesn't depend on the CO is training commands. It is considered a quality of life improvement because it is unrealistic to expect service members to not have friends or family members of the opposite sex and for them to not want to spend time with their loved ones even on base, including seeing where they live. But there is also the fact that why should a servicemember be kept from having a person of the opposite sex in their room to play games or watch movies with, even during the middle of the day? Sure, they could be having sex, but it is less likely to happen with a roommate and they are adults if they don't have a roommate.

    But I was there even while they were mustering, right in front of his chain of command and they didn't say anything about me being there. They all knew I was there and who I was visiting. And I know I signed in to be in my husband's room at K Bay in Hawaii.
    Yahoo.answers isn't a source.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #239
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood[W:87, 145]

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    There is ni need to overeact to the very very VERY occasional instances of armed attacks on military installations. No need for 'special' rules. I'd say this can be solved by allowing Soldiers to exercise their Constitutional right to carry a concealed firearm legally. Military installations arent different from civilian installations. Those intent on violating the law will. Law abiding citizens are and will be law abiding citizens.
    I strongly disagree that military installations aren't different than civilian installations. On most installations, the average response time of emergency personnel of any kind will be much faster than the average response time within civilian communities, when speaking of something like a school shooting or a theater shooting or mall shooting. And military installations are controlled for a reason. There is plenty of classified information on those bases. And not everyone onbase is military. There are plenty of civilians who are given access to bases, including family members, civilian workers, contractors, and even guests of military members and their families. Some bases are even open to the public for certain events (for instance, every year Kaneohe Bay MCB in Hawaii is opened up partially to the public for an event that last for 3-5 days around the 4th of July called Bay Fest). Do you allow everyone to open carry aboard bases and hope for the best despite having that classified material/information onbase?

    Heck, we are limited on where and what kind of cell phones we can have on some bases or parts of bases (I have to switch phones once a year so that mine doesn't get confiscated or worse because most cell phones cannot be bought without a camera in them but we also have to have one with us for communication purposes). Why would anyone think that allowing people (either everyone or only military members) to carry guns on a military base was a good idea? I'm all for people carrying them more in public, in the civilian world. And I'm not against military members owning guns, even those who live onbase owning guns that they can sign in and out leaving base if they wish, but just carrying them on military bases is a bad idea. Many military members who have actually been involved with base security would tell you this. There is little chance that allowing this would have really stopped or prevented either of the shootings at Fort Hood (and very little chance at all it would have made any difference for the Norfolk ship shooting).

    There are plenty of things different on a military base. Even tickets onbase are different. (Ticketing/arresting anyone on base involves rules that change depending on whether the person being ticketed/arrested is military or civilian.) And you can be searched at any time while on a military installation, unlike out in the civilian world. By coming on base, you are agreeing to restricting some of your rights.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #240
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yahoo.answers isn't a source.
    It proves that there are others who are saying that "yes, opposite sex people are allowed to visit Army barracks rooms". You have yet to provide anything except your personal experience, which I have easily accounted for as either outdated or simply policy of that commander of the base at the time you were there. Commanders change every so many years, and many policies change with them.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •