Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 248

Thread: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood[W:87, 145]

  1. #221
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,810

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Every soldier should have the option of being armed while on or off duty, on or off base, in or out of uniform. This is basic safety.

    That being said, I agree to additional certification to carry on base, because armed personal can be called upon to assist base security and will need to be familiar with certain policies, tactics, and points-of-contact. The base will need to maintain a roster of people who can be called upon for special duty and what assets/training they bring to bear.
    Fair enough.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  2. #222
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood[W:87, 145]

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    There is an active shooter at the sprawling central Texas base of Fort Hood, a source at Fort Hood told CNN on Wednesday.

    The situation is serious and sirens are going off, said the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

    A spokesman for the base said an "incident" was under way but declined for provide additional information.

    Fort Hood's official Twitter feed asked that all personnel on post to shelter in place.

    Multiple casualties

    Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood - CNN.com
    If this was true they would have never released the story....

    It's almost as if our government enjoys tragedies - just so they can talk **** and further degrade the Bill of Rights using their tyranny as an excuse for your safety.

    Our government has a political reason for everything it does.

  3. #223
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,246

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood[W:87, 145]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You would actually trust a commissioned officer with a firearm? :P
    Ok: allow NCO's and certain officers to carry sidearms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #224
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,246

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Every soldier should have the option of being armed while on or off duty, on or off base, in or out of uniform. This is basic safety.

    That being said, I agree to additional certification to carry on base, because armed personal can be called upon to assist base security and will need to be familiar with certain policies, tactics, and points-of-contact. The base will need to maintain a roster of people who can be called upon for special duty and what assets/training they bring to bear.
    When I was in the service it was common place to SD (secondary duty)--that's how I learned to drive trucks. Simply allow troops to SD with the MP's for "X" amount of hours and become cerified to act in certain scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #225
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    When I was in the service it was common place to SD (secondary duty)--that's how I learned to drive trucks. Simply allow troops to SD with the MP's for "X" amount of hours and become cerified to act in certain scenarios.
    Unlike the civilian world, really this is about a soldier doing their basic job, General Order #1. Gun-free-zones are prejudicial to the maintenance of good order and conduct.

  6. #226
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Probably because je was quartered in the barracks and females weren't allowed in male barracks.
    I saw both my husband's (before we married) and my brother's barracks rooms.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #227
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Have you never been in a military living situation where everyone is armed? Jesus Christ, in Afghanistan every soldier had a firearm, by order of General Allen, and yet when **** happened no one ever just started shooting wildly like you describe. No, cops/sentries do not just start shooting whoever has a gun. That's just a retarded thing to say.

    We are all armed while deployed, there's no reason to disarm when we comes back.

    Edit:
    I realized you just said you never actually carried a firearm while in the service. Well sir, I have, quite often, and I was constantly surrounded by several other soldiers who were similarly armed. When **** happened, our training kicked in...we called out Description, Direction, Distance and followed 'react to contact' and 'gunnery' protocol. We all worked as one, not as individuals. My military experience is saturated with firearms carried by just about everyone, everywhere we went. I am thus acclimated to and very comfortable with walking among a well armed population.
    We are not just talking about certain military bases though. And very few won't allow most military members onboard, no matter what branch they are or what command they are with. Most simply check to ensure the person has an ID and that it is valid.

    I am married to a man who was part of base security for a major Navy installation and I'm pretty sure that what you believe would happen isn't what would really happen for somewhere like most Navy or Air Force or even Army or Marine bases. I have been to many throughout my life (on my own military ID and even as a dependent with my parents when I was younger). The vast majority, the vast majority of the time are completely open for any military members and dependents and even some civilians who get access granted to them to come on base. Many commissaries and exchanges are onbase. Many other services granted to dependents are onbase. Legal, FFSC, MWR and ITT centers, some bank branches, and plenty other things that are there to help us and dependents. The only time most service members on military bases are armed is when they are out of country (and even then it is in hostile environments, because most Navy bases still only see security forces armed onbase in "friendly" foreign countries, and I'm pretty sure places like Germany and other Army installations overseas only allow security to be armed normally). This includes places like Fort Hood. And it is wrong to assume that training would kick in automatically and give people a good idea of which person is good and which is bad when it comes to this type of situation, especially when you are talking about a mix of people in and out of uniform and having no clue which is truly the target. That simply isn't how things work here on bases in the states.

    You are trying to apply exceptions (being in a combat zone environment) to a rule when it comes to what is best for bases here at home. They are not anywhere close to the same and they aren't even treated the same. Even most of those who have been to combat zones (including my own husband) see the difference and know that it would be a bad idea to allow military members to be armed onbase here at home. My husband has the experience of both being in combat zones (as a Marine) and being security/police for our bases here at home and even overseas (as a sailor). I barely had to get out the question and he agreed that it would be a very bad idea.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #228
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,246

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I saw both my husband's (before we married) and my brother's barracks rooms.
    So? Your experience defines the Army as a whole?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #229
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So? Your experience defines the Army as a whole?
    Never said that. I was asking why someone's wife would not be allowed on base and you talked about barracks rooms, where many actually do allow women (at least during certain times) access. But since barracks rooms are mainly for single servicemembers, not married ones, then it is not generally an issue to begin with. Some military barracks do allow opposite sex members in rooms. Heck, a few bases have gone to apartment-like onbase barracks for members so they can have whoever they want in their rooms, whenever they want (so long as they are not causing problems of course). Sure there are still some bases where barracks are "opposite sex not allowed", but those are becoming more rare outside of training commands. The military is starting to realize that they aren't going to completely prevent their soldiers, sailors, Marines, or airmen from interacting with the opposite sex, so they are trying instead to simply limit it. Your own experience is also not what defines the rules for the Army as a whole. It mainly depends on the command.

    But none of that had much to do with why a person's wife would not be allowed on base. Most bases allow wives on bases at any time because they have an ID card. Jerry explained it (at least a little, since I've never heard of such a precaution, since we, sailors, have family come with us up to the pier gate when we leave). And a married soldier would not normally be quartered in the barracks either. I'm assuming that some bases assign barracks rooms temporarily for pre-deployment, however that would not be common and certainly would not be for very long. (The Navy wouldn't have enough rooms to do that for us on most bases, we are already struggling with barracks space, one reason they made the onbase apartments in San Diego.)
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #230
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,246

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Never said that. I was asking why someone's wife would not be allowed on base and you talked about barracks rooms, where many actually do allow women (at least during certain times) access. But since barracks rooms are mainly for single servicemembers, not married ones, then it is not generally an issue to begin with. Some military barracks do allow opposite sex members in rooms. Heck, a few bases have gone to apartment-like onbase barracks for members so they can have whoever they want in their rooms, whenever they want (so long as they are not causing problems of course). Sure there are still some bases where barracks are "opposite sex not allowed", but those are becoming more rare outside of training commands. The military is starting to realize that they aren't going to completely prevent their soldiers, sailors, Marines, or airmen from interacting with the opposite sex, so they are trying instead to simply limit it. Your own experience is also not what defines the rules for the Army as a whole. It mainly depends on the command.

    But none of that had much to do with why a person's wife would not be allowed on base. Most bases allow wives on bases at any time because they have an ID card. Jerry explained it (at least a little, since I've never heard of such a precaution, since we, sailors, have family come with us up to the pier gate when we leave). And a married soldier would not normally be quartered in the barracks either. I'm assuming that some bases assign barracks rooms temporarily for pre-deployment, however that would not be common and certainly would not be for very long. (The Navy wouldn't have enough rooms to do that for us on most bases, we are already struggling with barracks space, one reason they made the onbase apartments in San Diego.)
    When I was in the Army, male billets were off limits to females.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •