Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 248

Thread: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood[W:87, 145]

  1. #191
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,462

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    The Congressional 9/11 Commission Report asked similar questions.

    That the Clinton administration said that Al Qaeda was a law enforcement issue not a national security issue and went further to put up a "wall" where the FBI, CIA, ONI, NSA, USBP, INS, USCS, USMS, and state, county and local law enforcement couldn't share information with each other.

    But President G.W. Bush didn't spend eight years blaming Clinton's failed counter terrorist policies.
    Right, Bush ignored Clinton's counter terrorist policies and the country was attacked. The failure was all Bush.

  2. #192
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,189

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    It's government, they're bad at doing anything efficiently, least of all the military. There's simply no way to stop a 'prohibited person' from buying a gun, even in Canada. The best solution is to empower everyone else.
    I don't disagree with your final point, however, I do disagree with your premise that there is simply nothing that can be done to stop such actions. I don't have answers, however.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  3. #193
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,903

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    I see something like that as an honest mistake Navy. But it has been interesting watching the speculation in the media, on message boards, and various talking heads, etc. I think some were disappointed that the shooter was not an Islamic extremist; others disappointed that it wasn't some wacko skinhead gun nut or some such. At least the media so far has refrained from referring to him as a 'white Hispanic'. But the bottom line for those injured, those still in danger, and those mourning the loss of their comrades and loved ones, it that is was a cruel and senseless act. And I agree that is where our concerns should lie at the moment.
    I hope some good will come out of this, as just one example, continued and deeper scrutiny of these SSRI drugs.

    Lopez was apparently having a difficult time dealing with his mother's sudden death, and he seemed to have thought that the Army had tried to keep him from attending her funeral. And it also seems that he had an argument with another soldier/soldiers before the shooting.

    From ABC News:

    The soldier who killed three people at Fort Hood may have argued with another service member prior to the attack, and investigators believe his unstable mental health contributed to the rampage, authorities said Thursday.

    The base's senior officer, Lt. Gen. Mark Milley, said there is a "strong possibility" that Spc. Ivan Lopez had a "verbal altercation" with another soldier or soldiers immediately before Wednesday's shooting, which unfolded on the same Army post that was the scene of an infamous 2009 mass shooting. Argument May Have Preceded Deadly Fort Hood Attack - ABC News

    Fort Hood Shooter Ivan Lopez's Chilling Facebook Post: 'The Devil Will Take Me...Green Light And Finger Ready' | Fox News Latino

  4. #194
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I don't disagree with your final point, however, I do disagree with your premise that there is simply nothing that can be done to stop such actions. I don't have answers, however.
    What can't be prevented is 100% of any incidents. Even condoms fail. Most employees and residents will comply with the no-gun rule because thats the military culture, but there will always be the radical element who chose to quietly disregard the rules, and thats when prevention fails. At that point you need the ability to "react-to-contact".

  5. #195
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,903

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    How did Lopez get the weapon on base anyway?

  6. #196
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    How did Lopez get the weapon on base anyway?
    You say that like there's anything stopping you from bringing anything on base. There's no TSA search, you just drive up to the guard house, show your ID and then....drive forward....and *poof* your on the base. There's no search. There nothing but an ID check.

    There's absolutely nothing stopping anyone from bringing a firearm on base. Nothing. In fact during my pre-deployment a soldier smuggled his wife on base. He smuggled her the next day, too.

    Just because you make a no-gun rule doesn't mean there's anything in place to enforce it. There's no magic forcefield just because you made a rule.
    Last edited by Jerry; 04-04-14 at 08:51 AM.

  7. #197
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Can you say "Iraq" which is where he acquired his mental damage...very possibly PTSD?
    Possible, but he was evidently in Iraq for only four months and was not in combat. I have a feeling that this guy would have been a time bomb whether he worked in the shoe department at Macys or was in the army.

  8. #198
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,948

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Military personnel should be allowed to carry guns when in their bases, if civilians in the state of TX can do it I dont see why men in uniform shouldnt, they are trained to use them more than your ordinary civilian and could have put a stop to his the moment it happened.

  9. #199
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    How did Lopez get the weapon on base anyway?
    He put it in his car and entered the post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #200
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,655

    Re: Source: Active shooter at Fort Hood

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    Another drugged up, mentally unstable guy goes on a rampage. When will anti-gunners realize that its the drugs and mental illness thats the problem here, not the guns...
    its because banning or restricting guns punishes people for politics anti gunners don't like



Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •