Page 40 of 67 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 665

Thread: Obamacare enrollment hits 7 million

  1. #391
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Obamacare enrollment hits 7 million

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    ACA is a federal program approved by the citizens of the nation
    No, it wasn't approved by the citizens of the nation, it was passed by a partisan vote in a Democrat controlled Congress, and the public voted in November 2010 with a massive rejection in the "Peoples House" You don't implement a totally controversial change in our healthcare system by a totally partisan vote without one opposition vote. I have no idea how old you are but you certainly have no idea what you are talking about. Amazing how Democrats are running from the bill and the majority in this country don't like it and why would they when premiums and deductibles are going up. The only ones liking it are the ones being subsidized by others. That is the new liberal normal, get something for free paid for by someone else.

  2. #392
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obamacare enrollment hits 7 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Than they were when and what is the alternative? You buy what you are told. You simply cannot admit you are wrong on any subject, there are much better options than SS but liberals like you need the nanny state to take care of you.
    I do when I am. But you were asked a specific question. I only want an honest answer. I'm waiting.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #393
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Obamacare enrollment hits 7 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I do when I am. But you were asked a specific question. I only want an honest answer. I'm waiting.
    You got an honest answer from GBFAN and it provides actual details for you. Not surprised that you didn't respond to it. People like you who ignore history and still believe in the nanny state are part of the problem we face today. You cannot admit you are wrong on any issue. Only in the liberal world is a govt. run program where the family doesn't get your SS contributions should you die a good program.

  4. #394
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obamacare enrollment hits 7 million

    Quote Originally Posted by GBFAN View Post
    Let me help you with that ...

    "For example, in 2012 half of all Medicare beneficiaries had annual incomes below $22,500, with median income considerably lower among black and Hispanic beneficiaries ($15,250 and $13,800, respectively) than among white beneficiaries ($24,800). By 2030, median incomes for black and Hispanic beneficiaries will increase to $19,000 and $18,100, respectively, in inflation-adjusted 2012 dollars, while for white Medicare recipients median income is expected to be $32,800. The median income for beneficiaries is projected to be $28,600 in 2030.

    Other factors will diminish income for future retirees, the report notes. They include the increase in Social Security’s full retirement age from 65 to 67, the continued shift among employers from defined-benefit pensions to defined-contribution pensions, and a decline in the number of employers offering retiree health benefits.

    “If this trend continues, fewer future Medicare beneficiaries will have retiree health benefits and more will be responsible for paying Medicare premiums and out-of-pocket costs,” the report notes. “Furthermore, rising budget deficits will increase pressure to reduce spending, increase taxes, or both.”" Report Looks At Income Disparities For Seniors On Medicare – Capsules - The KHN Blog

    Medicare rate increases continue to outpace the cost-of-living raises for Social Security/SSI ...

    New Medicare premium rates come out each fall and take effect in January. Medicare beneficiaries as a group are required to pay one-fourth the cost of running Medicare, and annual premiums are set at a figure calculated to achieve that level of revenue. Although the annual premium rates aren't officially set until they are announced each fall, Medicare administrators track trends and anticipated changes and use them to formulate projections of Medicare premiums for the next several years. According to the most recent report of the system's trustees, issued in April 2012, those projected premiums (as listed on page 229) are:

    2013: $109.10
    2014: $112.10
    2015: $117.00
    2016: $122.00
    2017: $128.20
    2018: $135.50
    2019: $143.60
    2020: $151.90
    2021: $161.20
    Read more at snopes.com: A Message from Blue Cross/Blue Shield

    When you couple all this with the negative impact of the Obama-driven change in COLA computations by using the changed-CPI average, the seniors average home income continues to spiral downward, particularly when you consider that the new 'methodology' for determining the CPI does NOT include the cost of energy OR the cost of healthcare. As a result ....

    "Cuts to the nation’s food stamp program hit 48 million Americans this week, including more than 9 million elderly and disabled people." despite recognition that only 30% of the seniors eligible for food stamps actually take advantage of the program. Food stamp cuts hit 9 million elderly and disabled people

    So, in answer to your question ... no, seniors are NOT better off than they were years ago.

    Consider your challenge met, and turned away. You were NOT correct.
    Better effort than the person I asked, but a blog?

    Any way:

    Fact #6: Almost half of the elderly would be poor without Social Security. Social Security lifts 14 million elderly Americans out of poverty.
    Without Social Security benefits, more than 40 percent of Americans aged 65 and older would have incomes below the federal poverty line, all else being equal. With Social Security benefits, less than one-tenth of the elderly do. (See figure below.) The program lifts 14 million elderly Americans out of poverty.[18]
    Almost 90 percent of people aged 65 or older receive some income from Social Security.[19] Those not receiving Social Security mostly comprise recent immigrants, state and local government retirees (and federal retirees hired before 1984) who are covered by separate retirement systems, people under age 66 with significant earnings, and people who are so seriously disabled that they never worked and also have never married.[20]

    image.jpg

    Policy Basics: Top Ten Facts about Social Security — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #395
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obamacare enrollment hits 7 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    You got an honest answer from GBFAN and it provides actual details for you. Not surprised that you didn't respond to it. People like you who ignore history and still believe in the nanny state are part of the problem we face today. You cannot admit you are wrong on any issue. Only in the liberal world is a govt. run program where the family doesn't get your SS contributions should you die a good program.
    He did better than you, true. However, not effective all the same:

    Fifty years ago the median income for those 65 and over was $8,027 for singles; in 2010 it was $17,845. For couples, the ’62 median was $20,424; in 2010 it was up to $43,114.

    One reason seniors were, on average, better off financially is monthly Social Security payments, which have risen faster than inflation and in 2010 averaged more than $1,200 per retiree. Another reason: more than three times as many seniors got private pension payments in 2009 compared to 1962. Those getting government pensions increased by nearly 50 percent.

    - See more at: Fact: Median senior income has more than doubled since 1962 - pensions and Soc Sec hikes beat inflation

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #396
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Obamacare enrollment hits 7 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    He did better than you, true. However, not effective all the same:

    Fifty years ago the median income for those 65 and over was $8,027 for singles; in 2010 it was $17,845. For couples, the ’62 median was $20,424; in 2010 it was up to $43,114.

    One reason seniors were, on average, better off financially is monthly Social Security payments, which have risen faster than inflation and in 2010 averaged more than $1,200 per retiree. Another reason: more than three times as many seniors got private pension payments in 2009 compared to 1962. Those getting government pensions increased by nearly 50 percent.

    - See more at: Fact: Median senior income has more than doubled since 1962 - pensions and Soc Sec hikes beat inflation
    So you think a check for 9600 a year or 12000 a year brings a person out of poverty? You are absolutely unbelievable and a typical liberal. Then you totally ignore that the contribution you make to SS and your employer makes on your behalf isn't your money. That is why people like you need the nanny state

  7. #397
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Obamacare enrollment hits 7 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    So you think a check for 9600 a year or 12000 a year brings a person out of poverty? You are absolutely unbelievable and a typical liberal. Then you totally ignore that the contribution you make to SS and your employer makes on your behalf isn't your money. That is why people like you need the nanny state
    Of course not. But it helps. I said better off, and not anything else.

    Kind claimed that basically half of seniors lacked health insurance before Medicare, and the program reduced the share of seniors in poverty by 75 percent. His statistics pan out, but he overplays his hand by making Medicare the hero for getting seniors above the poverty line when experts agree other things, chiefly Social Security, are the reason.

    U.S. Rep. Ron Kind says that "thanks to Medicare," 75% fewer seniors are in poverty, and most have health coverage | PolitiFact Wisconsin

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #398
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Obamacare enrollment hits 7 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Of course not. But it helps. I said better off, and not anything else.

    Kind claimed that basically half of seniors lacked health insurance before Medicare, and the program reduced the share of seniors in poverty by 75 percent. His statistics pan out, but he overplays his hand by making Medicare the hero for getting seniors above the poverty line when experts agree other things, chiefly Social Security, are the reason.

    U.S. Rep. Ron Kind says that "thanks to Medicare," 75% fewer seniors are in poverty, and most have health coverage | PolitiFact Wisconsin
    Thanks to Medicare which I was forced to take I lost my doctor of 22 years. Do you ever think with the brain you have or just with your heart? Medicare is trillions in debt, SS is trillions in debt but because you can find a politician that supports it that is good enough for you. One of these days you are going to realize how foolish you have been but then it will be too late, your dollar will be worthless.

    What liberalism does is create dependence that you can never get out of. SS is and will always be a ponzi scheme but too many are dependent on it. It is a raw deal for families and it is broke because the money was stolen, I mean borrowed. Medicare is also broke but as long as the govt. prints money payments will be made. You liberals have quite a racket going

  9. #399
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Obamacare enrollment hits 7 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    No, it wasn't approved by the citizens of the nation, it was passed by a partisan vote in a Democrat controlled Congress, and the public voted in November 2010 with a massive rejection in the "Peoples House" You don't implement a totally controversial change in our healthcare system by a totally partisan vote without one opposition vote. I have no idea how old you are but you certainly have no idea what you are talking about. Amazing how Democrats are running from the bill and the majority in this country don't like it and why would they when premiums and deductibles are going up. The only ones liking it are the ones being subsidized by others. That is the new liberal normal, get something for free paid for by someone else.
    This is spot on, and apparently under a million of this 7 million figure did not have insurance before. Under a million, less than a third of one percent of the population of this nation.

    The ACA democrats are going to take a hit in november.

  10. #400
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Obamacare enrollment hits 7 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Better effort than the person I asked, but a blog?

    Any way:

    Fact #6: Almost half of the elderly would be poor without Social Security. Social Security lifts 14 million elderly Americans out of poverty.
    Without Social Security benefits, more than 40 percent of Americans aged 65 and older would have incomes below the federal poverty line, all else being equal. With Social Security benefits, less than one-tenth of the elderly do. (See figure below.) The program lifts 14 million elderly Americans out of poverty.[18]
    Almost 90 percent of people aged 65 or older receive some income from Social Security.[19] Those not receiving Social Security mostly comprise recent immigrants, state and local government retirees (and federal retirees hired before 1984) who are covered by separate retirement systems, people under age 66 with significant earnings, and people who are so seriously disabled that they never worked and also have never married.[20]

    image.jpg

    Policy Basics: Top Ten Facts about Social Security — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
    Its still a fundamentally flawed system and its immoral to continue it. At some point we need to stop digging.

Page 40 of 67 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •