Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 665

Thread: Obamacare enrollment hits 7 million

  1. #131
    Professor
    JoeTrumps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Memphis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,570

    Re: Obamacare enrollment hits 7 million

    Can we just get a picture of Obama in front of a "Mission Accomplished" sign? That will make the irony of this much more epic.

  2. #132
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,151

    Re: Obamacare enrollment hits 7 million

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Thanks for confirming what Erod said. Right now all we have are "impressions" that 7 million previously uninsured have entered the system. We don't have any of the data showing who is signed up and we certainly don't know if they will pay the first premium. Doctors aren't falling for the grace period crap. Let us know when you have something other than impressions.
    Obviously you did not read the LA Times article and you chose to respond with your impressions. The LA Times article says at least 9.5 million that were previously uninsured are now insured. This was extrapolated based upon a McKinnsey study (and using the 6 million exchange sign-up, which we now know is 16% larger)... again, you make a claim and offer no support for your claim... its an impression. I make a claim and back it up..... Advantage guy with the proof.

    Obamacare has led to health coverage for millions more people - latimes.com

    I know you are one that wants Obamacare to fail; wants your country to fail... but wishful thinking does not make for good argument.

  3. #133
    Sage
    Anthony60's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Northern New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,595

    Re: Obamacare enrollment hits 7 million

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post

    Obamacare has led to health coverage for millions more people - latimes.com

    I know you are one that wants Obamacare to fail; wants your country to fail... but wishful thinking does not make for good argument.
    Don't forget to subtract the 6.2 million that had their insurance cancelled. So, what, about 900k sign ups for God knows how many $trillions and trillions? Everything is awesome!
    "We have met the enemy and they are ours..." -- Oliver Hazard Perry
    "I don't want a piece of you... I want the whole thing!" -- Bob Barker

  4. #134
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,306

    Re: Obamacare enrollment hits 7 million

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Obviously you did not read the LA Times article and you chose to respond with your impressions. The LA Times article says at least 9.5 million that were previously uninsured are now insured. This was extrapolated based upon a McKinnsey study (and using the 6 million exchange sign-up, which we now know is 16% larger)... again, you make a claim and offer no support for your claim... its an impression. I make a claim and back it up..... Advantage guy with the proof.

    Obamacare has led to health coverage for millions more people - latimes.com

    I know you are one that wants Obamacare to fail; wants your country to fail... but wishful thinking does not make for good argument.
    The article also says the following:


    Precise figures on national health coverage will not be available for months

    I've added and re-added those numbers they provided. Where did they come up with 9.5 million?

    This isn't backing anything up, you do realize I hope. This is the LA Times' assumption, by their own admission, based on surveys and unpublished survey data.

  5. #135
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:21 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,098

    Re: Obamacare enrollment hits 7 million

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Once again, in the battle of proof vs. impressions (no proof)... it seems some wish to stick with their impressions....

    You can have your opinions; you also have the luxury of going through life being ill-informed... but ill-informed opinions do not win a debate.
    You have no proof. You have BS numbers being fed to you by your Dear Leader, and you will believe anything he tells you.

    Some would call that a cult.

  6. #136
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,151

    Re: Obamacare enrollment hits 7 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    You have no proof. You have BS numbers being fed to you by your Dear Leader, and you will believe anything he tells you.

    Some would call that a cult.
    The article explained the source of the numbers..... I have something; you got nutin'....

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    The article also says the following:


    Precise figures on national health coverage will not be available for months

    I've added and re-added those numbers they provided. Where did they come up with 9.5 million?

    This isn't backing anything up, you do realize I hope. This is the LA Times' assumption, by their own admission, based on surveys and unpublished survey data.
    That is true... PRECISE numbers are not available, but PRECISION is not required. ... Surveys conducted by McKinnsey at least have some science (sampling and statistics) behind them. Elections are called based upon statistical sampling... its not voodoo.

    While their is a preset (and defined) margin of error in any statistical sampling, it remains evidence than "impressions" of others that post with nothing to back up their impressions. Any argument with evidence trumps an argument of impression....

    Feel free to support your argument.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 04-03-14 at 10:45 PM.

  7. #137
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,919

    Re: Obamacare enrollment hits 7 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    You have no proof. You have BS numbers being fed to you by your Dear Leader, and you will believe anything he tells you.

    Some would call that a cult.
    The usual "Cult of Obama" garbage aside, right here shows the intellectually bankrupt rampart that the Obama Hater Brigade has constructed for itself.

    If the numbers are bad, it's proof positive that Obama is teh suck and everything liberals say or do is bad.

    If the numbers are good, well, they're just phony anyway, and that's just proof positive that Obama is teh suck and everything liberals say or do is bad.

    We saw it with the economic numbers, unemployment statistics and now Obamacare sign-ups. They've built an ideological firewall that doesn't let through anything but self-affirmation.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  8. #138
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,919

    Re: Obamacare enrollment hits 7 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    Don't forget to subtract the 6.2 million that had their insurance cancelled. So, what, about 900k sign ups for God knows how many $trillions and trillions? Everything is awesome!
    Of course, your math is wrong, unless you're claiming that all 6.2 million that supposedly had their insurance cancelled re-upped through the exchanges, rather than just buying a new policy outright.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  9. #139
    Educator
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Arizona
    Last Seen
    10-02-17 @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    738

    Re: Obamacare enrollment hits 7 million

    Polls aren't pulling numbers out of their bum, there is a fair bit of math involved with and they are more accurate then not, surprisingly. I used to be one who though all polls were B.S. and it really wasn't until reading some of fivethirtyeight that my view changed, along with learning a bit more about statistics and polling. It isn't to say that polls can't be manipulated, but (again at least from when I was reading fivethirtyeight, not sure if they do it now) anyone with enough knowledge can spot when there is likely manipulation and when there isn't.

    Selection biases are the one way it can be wrong that seem to stick out the most, though from the (small) knowledge I have it seems somewhat rare to happen, at least deliberately. Have heard arguments, that make sense, that some that do just landline sampling may be bias since younger people tend to not have landlines as much as the older generations. Though I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) most pollsters have formulas they use to correct bias from something like that so it is still fairly accurate. Internet polls I've heard are usually the least reliable though can't back that up.

    Rambling a bit but I agree dismissing polls for being polls (or surveys) isn't much of an argument. I'd fathom most of the public (myself included) probably couldn't tell you what polls are full of BS (due to poor wording, or bad sampling) and which aren't. Personally I go with them likely being true unless otherwise stated unless it is certain sites I'm skeptical about (e.g. a Redstate or Daily Kos poll I'd probably have doubts on being accurate compared to WSJ or NBC, etc.)

  10. #140
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,151

    Re: Obamacare enrollment hits 7 million

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony60 View Post
    Don't forget to subtract the 6.2 million that had their insurance cancelled. So, what, about 900k sign ups for God knows how many $trillions and trillions? Everything is awesome!
    You are making broad assumptions (that 1) there were 6.2 million cancellations and 2) all of those cancellations were remedied by signing up on the exchange). I think we need to see proof of your impression, otherwise, its just that, an impression, which is likely misguided (in other words, you are living in a lie)...

    Check your facts, then repost.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 04-03-14 at 11:57 PM.

Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •