Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 131

Thread: Tomboy pressured to leave Christian school [W: 87]

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    re: Tomboy pressured to leave Christian school [W: 87]

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Well, of course, she actually wasn't kicked out of school and her parents or grandparents were the ones to take her out of school, but yes, this is the school discriminating.
    An institution doesn't have to kick someone out for there to be grounds for an anti-discrimination lawsuit. Say if you were a college student and were harassed because of something about you, gender, race, religion, anything by the school and voluntarily left on your own accord that doesn't automatically rule out an anti-discrimination suit as you can still seek damages for being compelled by the illegal activity of others to uproot yourself. Plus there would be the issue of tuition already paid, etc, etc.

    I'm speaking in a general sense but just to point out that leaving on your own doesn't remove all grounds for a lawsuit.

  2. #12
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 04:24 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,721

    re: Tomboy pressured to leave Christian school [W: 87]

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    An institution doesn't have to kick someone out for there to be grounds for an anti-discrimination lawsuit. Say if you were a college student and were harassed because of something about you, gender, race, religion, anything by the school and voluntarily left on your own accord that doesn't automatically rule out an anti-discrimination suit as you can still seek damages for being compelled by the illegal activity of others to uproot yourself. Plus there would be the issue of tuition already paid, etc, etc.

    I'm speaking in a general sense but just to point out that leaving on your own doesn't remove all grounds for a lawsuit.
    If the "discrimination" were against someone for their Christian beliefs would you be similarly concerned?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
    Mahatma Gandhi


  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    06-24-16 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,073

    re: Tomboy pressured to leave Christian school [W: 87]

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    It looks as though this Christian school is showing it true colors. Start looking like a girl or leave is their message. I am not religious but I don't have a problem with others believing whatever faith they choose so don't think this is Christian bashing because it's not. I think this is outrageously stupid though.

    Tomboy pressured to leave Christian school | The Journal Gazette

    FOREST, Va. – Eight-year-old Sunnie Kahle likes to keep her hair short, wear boys clothes, collect hunting knives and shoot her BB gun.

    “She’s a pure, 100 percent tomboy,” said her great-grandfather Carroll Thompson, who along with his wife, Doris, adopted their granddaughter’s child.

    But to Timberlake Christian School administrators, the second-grader’s boyish ways warranted an ultimatum: Start acting like a girl or find another school.

    snip
    Many religions have beliefs about they type of clothes you wear and the way the TWO different genders are supposed to act. I'm surprised you are not aware of that?

    So based on your issue with this private religious school, you would be just as annoyed by a Islamic school that asked a girl to leave because she refused to wear a hijab?


    A private religious school is free to set their own rules and standards, and YOU should be defending that. Because I'm sure if you ran a private liberal lefty school you would be tossing out kids who prayed in public or showed up to school wearing NRA T-shirts.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    re: Tomboy pressured to leave Christian school [W: 87]

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    If the "discrimination" were against someone for their Christian beliefs would you be similarly concerned?
    Yes
    .
    .

  5. #15
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,190

    re: Tomboy pressured to leave Christian school [W: 87]

    Quote Originally Posted by Del Zeppnile View Post
    Many religions have beliefs about they type of clothes you wear and the way the TWO different genders are supposed to act. I'm surprised you are not aware of that?

    So based on your issue with this private religious school, you would be just as annoyed by a Islamic school that asked a girl to leave because she refused to wear a hijab?


    A private religious school is free to set their own rules and standards, and YOU should be defending that. Because I'm sure if you ran a private liberal lefty school you would be tossing out kids who prayed in public or showed up to school wearing NRA T-shirts.
    To be fair,criticism of a policy isn't necessarily the same as denying they're right to have that policy. He doesn't seem to be actually saying they ashouldnt be allowed to.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  6. #16
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    re: Tomboy pressured to leave Christian school [W: 87]

    Quote Originally Posted by Del Zeppnile View Post
    Many religions have beliefs about they type of clothes you wear and the way the TWO different genders are supposed to act. I'm surprised you are not aware of that?

    So based on your issue with this private religious school, you would be just as annoyed by a Islamic school that asked a girl to leave because she refused to wear a hijab?


    A private religious school is free to set their own rules and standards, and YOU should be defending that. Because I'm sure if you ran a private liberal lefty school you would be tossing out kids who prayed in public or showed up to school wearing NRA T-shirts.
    Please stop with the strawman arguments, if you read the article you would know its not about clothing, its the fact she looks like a boy. l

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    01-13-17 @ 10:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    3,237

    re: Tomboy pressured to leave Christian school [W: 87]

    Just leave them alone and let them be bigots. Eventually they'll lose the younger generations and organized religion will be a thing of the past.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    06-24-16 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,073

    re: Tomboy pressured to leave Christian school [W: 87]

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Please stop with the strawman arguments, if you read the article you would know its not about clothing, its the fact she looks like a boy. l
    The article clearly said she likes to wear boys clothes. The photo of her is wearing boys clothes.

    If the school has standards about clothing, that counts. You may not like it, but it is up to the school to set whichever standards they believe are essential to their way of educating students.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,665

    re: Tomboy pressured to leave Christian school [W: 87]

    A 66 year old Great Grandfather of an 8 year old!!!?? That family is moving right along

  10. #20
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,296

    re: Tomboy pressured to leave Christian school [W: 87]

    This personifies the hypocrisy of so many so called Christians.

    What would Christ have done?

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •