Page 86 of 87 FirstFirst ... 367684858687 LastLast
Results 851 to 860 of 869

Thread: Obamacare tops 6 million signups [W:263:617]

  1. #851
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,757

    Re: Obamacare tops 6 million signups [W:263:617]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    I don't think you could be more utterly obstinate if you tried.

    Support for civil rights was largely based on geographic lines, not party lines, as has been illustrated to you numerous times by the regional voting for the CRA. Northern Democrats and Republicans voted overwhelmingly for it; Southern Democrats and Republicans voted overwhelmingly against it. These are facts, this is actually what happened. I do not know why this is so difficult for you to understand, except that for you to admit it would be for you to admit that all Democrats are not pure evil, and you're incapable of that.
    I've explained this to him several times. It's partisan hackery. One becomes so wedded to the "us vs. them" mindset that it is impossible for them to see facts.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #852
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,908

    Re: Obamacare tops 6 million signups [W:263:617]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I've explained this to him several times. It's partisan hackery. One becomes so wedded to the "us vs. them" mindset that it is impossible for them to see facts.
    "Partisan hackery" would be an improvement. It's simply blindness to facts.

    Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The original House version:

    Southern Democrats: 7–87 (7–93%)
    Southern Republicans: 0–10 (0–100%)

    Northern Democrats: 145–9 (94–6%)
    Northern Republicans: 138–24 (85–15%)

    The Senate version:

    Southern Democrats: 1–20 (5–95%) (only Ralph Yarborough of Texas voted in favor)
    Southern Republicans: 0–1 (0–100%) (John Tower of Texas)
    Northern Democrats: 45–1 (98–2%) (only Robert Byrd of West Virginia voted against)
    Northern Republicans: 27–5 (84–16%)

    How anyone can claim it was simply a Republican/Democrat thing is just stunning. They even get the Robert Byrd cudgel, and STILL they pretend that ALL Democrats, including those in the north, simply hated the blacks, and ALL Republicans, including those in the south, were the triumphant freedom fighters, AND they ignore that the guy who signed the bill into law was a Democrat.

    I don't have a ton of use for the Democrats, but the willful ignorance of history forces me to speak up for them.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  3. #853
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,127

    Re: Obamacare tops 6 million signups [W:263:617]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    So despite the history of Republicans supporting Blacks for over a century, including fighting and dying for their freedom, and the Democrats fighting against Black rights, in 1964 it was decided that everyone switch sides and the Democrats would henceforth become pro civil rights and the Republicans anti Black. Is that the sophisticated political observation?
    The sophistication is understanding the conservative influence, which would include understanding the distinction between Republicans and conservatives as well as the distinction between Democrats and liberals. The sophistication would be in understanding the Republican and Democratic track records may be as you suggest, but it the underlying issue is that it was (and is) the conservatives that were fighting against the rights of blacks. They did so under the umbrella of the Democrats until the in 1960's and now do it as Republicans. Given that the conservatives have cleansed the Republican party; its not illogical to blame the current Republicans for such things. The fact that the conservatives changed leagues does not diminish the conservative legacy of being anti-black rights.

  4. #854
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,757

    Re: Obamacare tops 6 million signups [W:263:617]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    "Partisan hackery" would be an improvement. It's simply blindness to facts.

    Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The original House version:

    Southern Democrats: 7–87 (7–93%)
    Southern Republicans: 0–10 (0–100%)

    Northern Democrats: 145–9 (94–6%)
    Northern Republicans: 138–24 (85–15%)

    The Senate version:

    Southern Democrats: 1–20 (5–95%) (only Ralph Yarborough of Texas voted in favor)
    Southern Republicans: 0–1 (0–100%) (John Tower of Texas)
    Northern Democrats: 45–1 (98–2%) (only Robert Byrd of West Virginia voted against)
    Northern Republicans: 27–5 (84–16%)

    How anyone can claim it was simply a Republican/Democrat thing is just stunning. They even get the Robert Byrd cudgel, and STILL they pretend that ALL Democrats, including those in the north, simply hated the blacks, and ALL Republicans, including those in the south, were the triumphant freedom fighters, AND they ignore that the guy who signed the bill into law was a Democrat.

    I don't have a ton of use for the Democrats, but the willful ignorance of history forces me to speak up for them.
    Already posted this information at post #350. I've posted it towards him in the past, too. Cognitive dissonance prevents him from being able to get the meaning behind it.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #855
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,908

    Re: Obamacare tops 6 million signups [W:263:617]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Already posted this information at post #350. I've posted it towards him in the past, too. Cognitive dissonance prevents him from being able to get the meaning behind it.
    I post it every time the issue comes up. It makes little difference.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  6. #856
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obamacare tops 6 million signups [W:263:617]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    I've explained this to him several times. It's partisan hackery. One becomes so wedded to the "us vs. them" mindset that it is impossible for them to see facts.
    RiverDad gave you a far greater historical analysis with graphs and stats and dates on anther thread. You probably didn't read it, nor did you watch the video on the history of Civil Rights in America.

    If you truly believe that the two parties suddenly switched sides some time in the mid sixties with the Democrats becoming Republicans and Republicans then becoming Democrats then I think you should continue to believe that. It's already locked in place and nothing can shake your determination to continue with that belief.

  7. #857
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obamacare tops 6 million signups [W:263:617]

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    The sophistication is understanding the conservative influence, which would include understanding the distinction between Republicans and conservatives as well as the distinction between Democrats and liberals. The sophistication would be in understanding the Republican and Democratic track records may be as you suggest, but it the underlying issue is that it was (and is) the conservatives that were fighting against the rights of blacks. They did so under the umbrella of the Democrats until the in 1960's and now do it as Republicans. Given that the conservatives have cleansed the Republican party; its not illogical to blame the current Republicans for such things. The fact that the conservatives changed leagues does not diminish the conservative legacy of being anti-black rights.
    So you believe it was a Conservative versus a Liberal thing, and the names of the parties really didn't matter. Would that be correct? Thus the Democrats through the great portion of their history were really Conservative and the Republicans Liberal. Then they suddenly switched sides.

    But there is strong evidence that the Democrats are not all that 'liberal' today and continue to have racist policies. How do you explain that?

  8. #858
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,757

    Re: Obamacare tops 6 million signups [W:263:617]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    RiverDad gave you a far greater historical analysis with graphs and stats and dates on anther thread. You probably didn't read it, nor did you watch the video on the history of Civil Rights in America.
    Riverdad has a history of posting links that either don't support his position or that misrepresent facts in an anti-liberal partisan hack way. I've yet to see him post a link that has credibility. I don't remember what he posted on this, but if he posted it, I would be very skeptical. Further, I posted stats and information that you have been totally incapable of refuting... now or in the past.

    If you truly believe that the two parties suddenly switched sides some time in the mid sixties with the Democrats becoming Republicans and Republicans then becoming Democrats then I think you should continue to believe that. It's already locked in place and nothing can shake your determination to continue with that belief.
    If you want to believe that the South suddenly turned Republican in 1964/1965 after nearly 100 years of being Democrat on some sort of odd whim, then I think you should continue to believe that and continue to ignore all the evidence to the contrary. I posted information that, as I have said, you have been incapable of refuting. Now, if you want to stay with your biased, inaccurate position, I can't stop you, but that's exactly what it is... biased and inaccurate.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #859
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obamacare tops 6 million signups [W:263:617]

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    The sophistication is understanding the conservative influence, which would include understanding the distinction between Republicans and conservatives as well as the distinction between Democrats and liberals. The sophistication would be in understanding the Republican and Democratic track records may be as you suggest, but it the underlying issue is that it was (and is) the conservatives that were fighting against the rights of blacks. They did so under the umbrella of the Democrats until the in 1960's and now do it as Republicans. Given that the conservatives have cleansed the Republican party; its not illogical to blame the current Republicans for such things. The fact that the conservatives changed leagues does not diminish the conservative legacy of being anti-black rights.
    So in your sophisticated logic it was Conservatives who are racist, not the Democrats, and because Republicans are called Conservative, it is really they who are now racist. Conservatives, according to you, must inevitably be racist.

    That's leftist sophistication, alright!

  10. #860
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,908

    Re: Obamacare tops 6 million signups [W:263:617]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    RiverDad gave you a far greater historical analysis with graphs and stats and dates on anther thread. You probably didn't read it, nor did you watch the video on the history of Civil Rights in America.

    If you truly believe that the two parties suddenly switched sides some time in the mid sixties with the Democrats becoming Republicans and Republicans then becoming Democrats then I think you should continue to believe that. It's already locked in place and nothing can shake your determination to continue with that belief.
    Of course, nobody said that's what happened.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

Page 86 of 87 FirstFirst ... 367684858687 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •