Page 79 of 87 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 ... LastLast
Results 781 to 790 of 869

Thread: Obamacare tops 6 million signups [W:263:617]

  1. #781
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obamacare tops 6 million signups [W:263:617]

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    1. You'll find that most of the standards were suggested by the Heritage foundation when they first proposed what we today call Obamacare.
    I've never heard BHO offer them any credit for this. Perhaps it should be called Heritage Care. Othrs have claimed it was based on Mitt Romneycare. What seems to be happening is that the left is trying to blame this shambles on others.

    2. A growing percentage of those on the Right support the "right" of a business to serve someone because of their race, religion, ethnicity, or sexual gender/preference/identity...and this is personified in the growth of the libertarian sector of the GOP. In fact, legislation was just passed in Mississippi affirming just such a 'right' for business against those in the LGBT community.
    And how does this relate to Obamacare?

    In other words, a growing percentage of the Right wants to legitimize - or regain - their "right" of prejudice, of discrimination against others. On the other hand, most who are not white have experienced discrimination first-hand, and there's a great many older blacks who remember Jim Crow..so to them, the Right is trying to bring back Jim Crow...and that in their eyes is certainly unfriendly to them.
    . Learn your history. It was the Democrats who supported the Jim Crow laws.

    .

  2. #782
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,745

    Re: Obamacare tops 6 million signups [W:263:617]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    . Learn your history. It was the Democrats who supported the Jim Crow laws.

    .
    We've gone over this, before, Grant. You got shredded the last time you tried this approach. It wasn't Democrats who supported the Jim Crow laws. It was SOUTHERNERS. It happened to be that many southerners at the time were Democrats because of long-standing anger towards Lincoln... who supported the blacks. Of course, when the Civil Rights Act of 1964 got passed, we saw the shift. Now, Southerners tend to be Republicans. It's about regionalism. Must I keep reminding you of this?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #783
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Obamacare tops 6 million signups [W:263:617]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    We've gone over this, before, Grant. You got shredded the last time you tried this approach. It wasn't Democrats who supported the Jim Crow laws. It was SOUTHERNERS. It happened to be that many southerners at the time were Democrats because of long-standing anger towards Lincoln... who supported the blacks. Of course, when the Civil Rights Act of 1964 got passed, we saw the shift. Now, Southerners tend to be Republicans. It's about regionalism. Must I keep reminding you of this?
    It was Democrats, and no running away will change that. Bill Whittle - Racism - Democrats and Republicans switch sides? - YouTube

  4. #784
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,745

    Re: Obamacare tops 6 million signups [W:263:617]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    It was Democrats, and no running away will change that. Bill Whittle - Racism - Democrats and Republicans switch sides? - YouTube
    Let's see... actual history vs. comments from an idiotic conservative blogger. I'll take history, showing, once again, that you have no education on this issue.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  5. #785
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,985

    Re: Obamacare tops 6 million signups [W:263]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    This 'take a while' certainly wasn't expected by the White House
    When did the White House come out and say every American (or simply uninsured American) would be signed up on Obamacare in the first six months?

    which is why they kept giving extensions and changing the rules.
    The individual mandate extensions (which is what we're discussing) have been granted because the rollout was so terrible.

  6. #786
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Obamacare tops 6 million signups [W:263:617]

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    1. You'll find that most of the standards were suggested by the Heritage foundation when they first proposed what we today call Obamacare.

    .
    It was a man named Stuart Butler from The Heritage Foundation, Glen, and he only suggested the individual mandate. Obamacare isn't just about the individual mandate, is it?

  7. #787
    Sage
    Glen Contrarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, here I am...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    15,538

    Re: Obamacare tops 6 million signups [W:263:617]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I've never heard BHO offer them any credit for this. Perhaps it should be called Heritage Care. Othrs have claimed it was based on Mitt Romneycare. What seems to be happening is that the left is trying to blame this shambles on others.

    And how does this relate to Obamacare?

    . Learn your history. It was the Democrats who supported the Jim Crow laws.

    .
    1. Guy, Obama himself credited Romneycare:

    “Governor Romney said this has to be done on a bipartisan basis – this was a bipartisan idea, in fact it’s a Republican idea and Governor Romney at the beginning of this debate wrote and said what we did in Massachusetts could be a model for the inauguration and I agree that the Democrat legislators in Massachusetts might have given some advice to Republicans in Congress about how to cooperate but the fact of the matter is we used the same advisors and they say it’s the same plan.” (boldface mine)

    2. Obamacare and the new Jim Crow are two different things...but if you'll look back at your post #779, you'll see that YOU said two different things, and that my reply #780 answered your two different things by separating them into answers 1 and 2.

    3. Learn your own history - we're not discussing Democrat and Republican as much as we are liberal and conservative...because while the political parties switched social philosophies a full 180 degrees - Dems used to be the conservative party and the Republicans used to be the liberal party - it was ALWAYS the conservatives who supported Jim Crow, and it was ALWAYS the liberals who fought for equal rights. I grew up in the very deepest of the Deep South - a family acquaintance was a guy named James O. Eastland, a Democratic U.S. senator who was twice president pro tem...and who was for a generation the most powerful racist in America...and when one grows up white where I did, one is almost always at least moderately racist, as I was.

    Back before the civil rights struggle both parties had liberals and conservatives - indeed, the Civil Rights Act could not have been passed without liberal Republicans in Congress. But since it was the Dems who led the charge to pass the CRA, the South - which was called the "Solid South" since it was completely Democratic and had been for generations - essentially rebelled against the Democratic Party. Nixon took advantage of this as a part of his Southern Strategy. Here's what his political strategist said:

    From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that...but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats.

    So don't tell me I need to learn history - I LIVED it, was a part of it. Nixon's Southern Strategy is why the South is the strongest part of the GOP base today...and why there's so many in the GOP who are racist, and who are eager to legitimize their racism by giving businesses the "right" to discriminate by bringing Jim Crow laws back to life.
    To do evil, a human being must first of all believe that what hes doing is good" - Solzhenitsyn

    "...with the terrorists, you have to take out their families." - Donald Trump

  8. #788
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Obamacare tops 6 million signups [W:263:617]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    It was a man named Stuart Butler from The Heritage Foundation, Glen, and he only suggested the individual mandate. Obamacare isn't just about the individual mandate, is it?
    That's not entirely true

    HF also proposed state based markets, selling insurance across state lines and a few other ideas that are incorporated in ACA.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #789
    Kinky
    tres borrachos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    39,234

    Re: Obamacare tops 6 million signups [W:263:617]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    That's not entirely true

    HF also proposed state based markets, selling insurance across state lines and a few other ideas that are incorporated in ACA.
    I was talking about Stuart Butler's opinion piece, not the HF.

  10. #790
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Obamacare tops 6 million signups [W:263:617]

    Quote Originally Posted by tres borrachos View Post
    I was talking about Stuart Butler's opinion piece, not the HF.
    What opinion piece? This discussion is not limited to one opinion piece that he wrote

    Once again, your attempt to define the limits of a discussion has failed
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 79 of 87 FirstFirst ... 29697778798081 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •