Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 419

Thread: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

  1. #371
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    It's because Riverbad was complaining that insurers have to pay for women's health care when men sign up.

    It's a stupid, failed argument against the ACA because all insurance covers stuff you'll never use. Like a woman's policy will cover prostate removal. Or testicular cancer.
    I don't see what that has to do with the thread or why he brought it up, but anyway I'm still against student athletes unionizing, and I haven't heard any good reason for it except for you guys to say "it's unfair" the other way. Well, that's they way they've been doing it for God knows how long, and it's worked out. I don't see any reason for this move, and it's going to ruin college sports IMO.

    Like it or not, there are a LOT of fans out there.

  2. #372
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,590

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I don't see any reason for this move, and it's going to ruin college sports IMO.

    .

    You say this like its a bad thing.

    College should not be a place for major sports. Period.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  3. #373
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    You say this like its a bad thing.

    College should not be a place for major sports. Period.
    Who are YOU to say? MANY other people would disagree with you. So, you don't like college sports and that's why you support this? What about all the people who do enjoy participating in and watching college sports?

  4. #374
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,128

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Outside of a free ride and a generous stipend, these kids shouldn't get a damn thing. They already get free generous gourmet meals provided 4 times daily(I almost did the providing but turned the position down for a more lucrative offer...)

    They're there to learn and to showcase themselves for the chance to go pro. Anything else sullies the game.

    Gonna have to spit out the window next time I go past Ryan Field...

    Ridiculous...
    "Oh no no no, you got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. ” -- Sheriff Chris Mannix

  5. #375
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,128

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    You say this like its a bad thing.

    College should not be a place for major sports. Period.

    They should rely on the generosity of their Alumni for their endowment?
    "Oh no no no, you got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. ” -- Sheriff Chris Mannix

  6. #376
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    They should rely on the generosity of their Alumni for their endowment?
    Well, another thing is, once they unionize it IS going to be "major" sports. Some of these colleges might actually spend money on these players. Other colleges will have to scrap most if not all of their sports teams, I would imagine. Unless this is repealed. I hope it gets repealed. I'm not a big college sports fan personally, but WTH, this is such a stupid idea!

  7. #377
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,128

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well, another thing is, once they unionize it IS going to be "major" sports. Some of these colleges might actually spend money on these players. Other colleges will have to scrap most if not all of their sports teams, I would imagine. Unless this is repealed. I hope it gets repealed. I'm not a big college sports fan personally, but WTH, this is such a stupid idea!
    See and if I do watch sports nowadays it's almost exclusively collegiate. Because it's about the game, its about rivalry, it's about anything and everything BUT the almighty dollar.(idealistically I know, trying to cut back on my cynicism)

    What these kids don't realize is that in part the money "made off them" is what pays for their free ride.
    "Oh no no no, you got me talkin' politics. I didn't wanna. Like I said y'all, I'm just happy to be alive. ” -- Sheriff Chris Mannix

  8. #378
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,590

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Who are YOU to say? MANY other people would disagree with you. So, you don't like college sports and that's why you support this? What about all the people who do enjoy participating in and watching college sports?
    I like college sports.

    But I like Higher Education better. And there is no reason they should be joined.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  9. #379
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:43 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,067

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The problem with the post above is that the kids in those programs earn the university far more money than any student/professor. So they do in fact earn their "opportunities".
    This is a common misstatement that I've been guilty of myself.

    The FOOTBALL PROGRAM earns the university tremendous amounts of money, but that is the result of years and years of tradition and lore that the alumni and fan base of the university have built, not the kids currently on the team. They had absolutely nothing to do with it.

    Instead, they get the opportunity and honor to attend a prestigious university and be at the center of all that tradition for a brief spell, and perhaps get the chance to showcase themselves FOR FREE and catch the fancy of the NFL. It's all been laid out for them before they were even born.

    The players are somewhat interchangeable. Swap Alabama's roster with Auburn or Florida, and the finances don't really change. It's not like the current Alabama players devised, created, promoted, and earned that money themselves. They just were next up for the chance to be a part of it.

  10. #380
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    I like college sports.

    But I like Higher Education better. And there is no reason they should be joined.
    Why? Do you remember a time when they weren't? Face it, this is about greed and it's a really stupid idea that isn't going to help anyone except for a few college athletes who are ALREADY receiving benefits (a free education on scholarship funding for one). Also, being on a great college team is going to get you noticed by the scouts, which opens the door for the professional leagues. THAT alone is a valuable benefit. So why these guys and girls who voluntarily join sports teams are now complaining, I have NO idea. And why are they different from high school teams? Do you consider high school football players professional and should they be able to unionize too?

Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •