Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 419

Thread: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

  1. #171
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,583

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I think you snuck under the radar. The IRS guidelines are quite clear.



    Publication 970 (2013), Tax Benefits for Education
    he didn't sneak under the radar i have posted those links for him multiple times. he is ignoring it on purpose.

  2. #172
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,036

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    we will learn after the contract negotiations have concluded

    in your opinion, does one deserve a larger stipend than the other ... and why?
    No, so now universities won't be able to afford a swim team, soccer team, golf team, water polo team, tennis team, softball team, baseball team, etc, etc, etc.

    That is, unless tuitions are raised to pay these athletes. Or taxes, for state schools.

    The implications on this are incredibly far reaching, and the forethought on this is ridiculously naďve. Athletics actually keep school more affordable for everyone at state schools.

    And are you ready for the bidding war for high school players? It'll be insane. And what will that do to high school athletics? Will high school football coaches now make $300,000 a year because of their track record of "earning" big salaries for their athletes in college?

    Domino after domino will fall. You don't just switch amateur athletics to professional without a massive shift in the whole collegiate system.

  3. #173
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,538

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    no it doesn't that is where you are so wrong. athletic scholarships come from that evil revenue that college generate. in fact all athletic scholarships come from that money.
    it has nothing to do with educational funding.

    you don't know what you are talking about.

    it does apply see the IRS code that you have ignored for 4 times now. the IRS says you are wrong.
    they are not students they would be considered employee's. which means any money received is considered income under IRS guidelines.
    Athletic scholarships ALL come from revenue? Really? What about all the schools that get little to no revenue from sports - which is the majority of them.

    I guess you are entitled to your opinion, but just making stuff up about scholarships doesnt really count as opinion... no matter how much you want it to be true.

    And again... the law may read that scholarships are taxable now (although I bet its not that clear), but if the athletes are actual employees, the NCAA will negotiate that with the players. Thats a 'sky is falling' argument.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  4. #174
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,036

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    since football basically funds the soccer team and the soccer team brings in either 0 revenue or negative revenue there is no reason that a soccer player should get more or even equal to a football player.

    actually colleges will drop all non-revenue generating sports. which would be soccer, field hockey, soccer, tennis, etc...
    if title XI won't let them then they will just drop all scholarships all together.
    Then how will universities compete for the top recruits? Boosters, of course, and their nefarious ways will suddenly become fully legal.

    And how many athletes can T. Boone Pickens buy if allowed to at Oklahoma State? What about Phil Knight at Oregon?

  5. #175
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,036

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Athletic scholarships ALL come from revenue? Really? What about all the schools that get little to no revenue from sports - which is the majority of them.
    I guess you are entitled to your opinion, but just making stuff up about scholarships doesnt really count as opinion... no matter how much you want it to be true.

    And again... the law may read that scholarships are taxable now (although I bet its not that clear), but if the athletes are actual employees, the NCAA will negotiate that with the players. Thats a 'sky is falling' argument.
    This is just false. The majority of universities make good money off their football and men's basketball teams, and some other sports break even or come close.

    You seem to wish that was true, but it isn't.

    However, opening up this can of worms will certainly make athletics unprofitable for the majority of schools, and they'll simply drop them altogether.

  6. #176
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,538

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    he didn't sneak under the radar i have posted those links for him multiple times. he is ignoring it on purpose.
    NO. i'm saying that it wont necessarily be the case that they are true employees and not students.

    Look at graduate students (why do I think this area may be foreign to you?). They get a stipend that is NON TAXABLE and they act essentially as employees - teaching in classrooms or doing research work. The scholarship is contingent on it being a part of their education, and I think you can make a case for many of these players that participation in their sport is part of their educational endeavor - especially when they are majoring in PE or kinesiology, or sports marketing, etc.

    Its a simple hurdle that will be handled.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  7. #177
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,739

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    There is a reasonable solution to this situation that can benefit the athlete, the athletic program, the university and the entire industry of college athletics. Just pay athletes a part time wage to be members of teams which generate revenue for the university in addition to the scholarship they get. A stipend of $10K per season for something like football and basketball (the 2 big revenue generating sports) would be fine and would show the university and the NCAA is willing to meet the athlete in the middle and compromise.

    The think I have always loathed about college athletics is the fraud that these are "student athletes pursuing an education" when a good chunk of them could never ever get into those universities based on pure academic merit. if I had my way I would establish a rule that ALL student applicants must first get into the university and meet the same academic standards as every other student and then the university can offer athletic scholarships to those who play sports from that same student body. You would not have some kid with a high school GPA of 2.0 and low SAT scores playing for a major university where the average accepted applicant has a GPA and test scores in a much higher stratosphere. That is a recipe for failure and it is not fair to the student.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #178
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,583

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    NO. i'm saying that it wont necessarily be the case that they are true employees and not students.

    Look at graduate students (why do I think this area may be foreign to you?). They get a stipend that is NON TAXABLE and they act essentially as employees - teaching in classrooms or doing research work. The scholarship is contingent on it being a part of their education, and I think you can make a case for many of these players that participation in their sport is part of their educational endeavor - especially when they are majoring in PE or kinesiology, or sports marketing, etc.

    Its a simple hurdle that will be handled.
    employee's must pay tax on income. unless their scholarship is related to their degree they will have to pay tax on that money period. i am sorry you cannot accept facts but that doesn't change it one bit.

    they will have to pay taxes. the facts are in front of you the fact you are ignoring them means you are just being dishonest.

    how does a QB relate to business admin? how does a OL relate to engineering or accounting?

    the answer is they don't.

  9. #179
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,583

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    There is a reasonable solution to this situation that can benefit the athlete, the athletic program, the university and the entire industry of college athletics. Just pay athletes a part time wage to be members of teams which generate revenue for the university in addition to the scholarship they get. A stipend of $10K per season for something like football and basketball (the 2 big revenue generating sports) would be fine and would show the university and the NCAA is willing to meet the athlete in the middle and compromise.

    The think I have always loathed about college athletics is the fraud that these are "student athletes pursuing an education" when a good chunk of them could never ever get into those universities based on pure academic merit. if I had my way I would establish a rule that ALL student applicants must first get into the university and meet the same academic standards as every other student and then the university can offer athletic scholarships to those who play sports from that same student body. You would not have some kid with a high school GPA of 2.0 and low SAT scores playing for a major university where the average accepted applicant has a GPA and test scores in a much higher stratosphere. That is a recipe for failure and it is not fair to the student.
    as an employee any income they receive unless it is related to their major is non-exempt and considered income.

    They do meet the qualifications to get into college. they have to in order to get the scholarship to begin with.

  10. #180
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,538

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    employee's must pay tax on income. unless their scholarship is related to their degree they will have to pay tax on that money period. i am sorry you cannot accept facts but that doesn't change it one bit.

    they will have to pay taxes. the facts are in front of you the fact you are ignoring them means you are just being dishonest.

    how does a QB relate to business admin? how does a OL relate to engineering or accounting?

    the answer is they don't.
    Well, everybody in a sport gets a minor in PE.

    There. Solved it.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

Page 18 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •