Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 419

Thread: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

  1. #151
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,036

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    It really doesnt. Most athletic programs are money losers.


    And we could have students make bricks for free and sell them at a profit in Universities too - that would be profitable and bring down tuition. Doesnt mean we should.

    Universities should be for education. Not paid sporting events.
    That's nice, in a kumbaya kind of way.

    The fact of the matter is, serious student-athletes (which most college athletes are) tend to be vastly more successful in life and business, and make a significantly more positive impact on society in general.

    What you learn in the classroom pales greatly from what you learn through athletics about persistence, teamwork, and what it takes to win and lose in life.

    There's great truth to the adage, "The C students end up working for the B students, and the A students teach." And the A student who's also play athletics....they rule the world.

  2. #152
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,036

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I'm jumping in here out of context, but just want to point out that a $27,000 yearly scholarship indeed would be taxable if the student is considered an employee. Right now, an employee may deduct up to $5,250 in tuition reimbursement from his income. If the law doesn't chnge, $23,000+ of that $27,000 would be taxable.
    This is messy for the athlete because how many of these kids' families can pay that?

    It's like when imbecile Oprah gave everyone a car, and she was shocked that many of them couldn't take it because they couldn't afford the taxes. LOL, she honestly didn't know that.
    Last edited by Erod; 03-27-14 at 12:51 PM.

  3. #153
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,582

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    You mean because poor kids arent smart? Or is it because we give the poor kids with athletic ability the shot at college at the expense of the poor kids with academic ability? I have a feeling you just want the poor kids who get to go to college give you some entertainment instead of studying all the time.

    All I can tell you is the median value of a scholarship is 27k per year. In state tuition and room and board is often about this amount.

    Like I said, I already provided you an example that a scholarship is NOT taxable. You're clinging to that fantasy. Stop.
    where did i say that poor kids aren't smart quote me or stop strawmaning.

    if the poor kids has academic ability then he can get educational scholarships.

    exactly what you think is a strawman but that is all you have against the facts that you can't address.

    that is in-state tuition most kids that play sports come from other states. which means they get charged the out of state rate..

    I posted the IRS guidelines that says you are wrong you keep ignoring it. so the only one clinging to fantasy here is you.
    if these students are going to be considered employee's then their scholarships under IRS guidelines are only non-taxable if they relate to their degree.

    i even copied and posted you the IRS CODE itself you ignored it. why is that?

    also tell me what does a RB or QB position relate to a business major or computer science major or accounting major or any other major except physical education?

  4. #154
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,582

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I'm jumping in here out of context, but just want to point out that a $27,000 yearly scholarship indeed would be taxable if the student is considered an employee. Right now, an employee may deduct up to $5,250 in tuition reimbursement from his income. If the law doesn't chnge, $23,000+ of that $27,000 would be taxable.
    there is still the exception in there but it would mean that the scholarship would have to relate to the sport played.

    The new pay-for-play: CFB union could get slammed with tax bill
    Hannon cited Sec. 117 of the “Current Internal Revenue Code,” which essentially states that though a “qualified scholarship” is not considered gross income, that can change if the scholarship money “represents payment for teaching, research or other services by the student required as a condition for receiving the qualified scholarship or qualified tuition reduction.”

    there you have it in black and white.

    they would be taxed.

    the other impact of this would be that the college would also have to supply them healthcare as well according to the ACA laws. this whole thing is just going to be a mess.
    Last edited by ludin; 03-27-14 at 12:40 PM.

  5. #155
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,537

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I'm jumping in here out of context, but just want to point out that a $27,000 yearly scholarship indeed would be taxable if the student is considered an employee. Right now, an employee may deduct up to $5,250 in tuition reimbursement from his income. If the law doesn't chnge, $23,000+ of that $27,000 would be taxable.
    Well, I can only go by personal experience of working at a University Hospital and getting a full tuition waiver for school. It was a substantial amount, and none of it was taxable. I was certainly an employee.

    The issue is silly, because if these students will become employees, you know the law will allow them to get scholarships or they will be paid an equivalent amount to offset the scholarship cost (compensaion will be 'grossed up').
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  6. #156
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,623

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    I believe that since the student-athletes have decided they are now a Union, the University should immediately withdraw all scholarships, reinstate full tuition costs, full costs for books, full cost for meals, full cost for housing. And since they are now employees, they should also have to pay for their extraneous costs like sideline snacks and beverages as well as access to athletic trainers. Let the games begin. A FEW may warrant pay...all will suffer.

    Oh...and BTW...

    Northwestern Football...

    (edit-Oh...and good point...say goodbye to admission standards waivers for student athletes)

  7. #157
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,036

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    This will only serve to make college more unaffordable for the poor and minorities and turn schools into a lilly white bastion of homogeny.

    Athletics has an amazing way of diversifying a school and getting people of different backgrounds and ethnicities to come together. It's like nothing else.

    Those that have played team sports in high school and beyond understand this well.

    Unionizing college athletics will make them impractical for the majority of colleges and universities in the country.

  8. #158
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,537

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    where did i say that poor kids aren't smart quote me or stop strawmaning.

    if the poor kids has academic ability then he can get educational scholarships.

    exactly what you think is a strawman but that is all you have against the facts that you can't address.

    that is in-state tuition most kids that play sports come from other states. which means they get charged the out of state rate..

    I posted the IRS guidelines that says you are wrong you keep ignoring it. so the only one clinging to fantasy here is you.
    if these students are going to be considered employee's then their scholarships under IRS guidelines are only non-taxable if they relate to their degree.

    i even copied and posted you the IRS CODE itself you ignored it. why is that?

    also tell me what does a RB or QB position relate to a business major or computer science major or accounting major or any other major except physical education?
    Do you think college scholarships are unlimited? Every dollar you give to a basketball player who can barely pass high school you take away from an academically gifted poor student.

    And the scholarship thing is a red herring. It wont ever apply because its nonsensical to make a low grade D1 student pay money when you give him a free ride. Thats a fixable glitch, if it even is a glitch.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  9. #159
    Quantum sufficit

    Threegoofs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The birthplace of Italian Beef
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,537

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I believe that since the student-athletes have decided they are now a Union, the University should immediately withdraw all scholarships, reinstate full tuition costs, full costs for books, full cost for meals, full cost for housing. And since they are now employees, they should also have to pay for their extraneous costs like sideline snacks and beverages as well as access to athletic trainers. Let the games begin. A FEW may warrant pay...all will suffer.

    Oh...and BTW...

    Northwestern Football...

    (edit-Oh...and good point...say goodbye to admission standards waivers for student athletes)
    I never thought I would agree with a post of yours.

    But I'm all in on this one.
    Many Trump supporters have lots of problems, and those deplorables are bringing those problems to us. They’re racists. They’re misogynists. They’re islamophobic. They're xenophobes and homophobes. And some, I assume, are good people.

  10. #160
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,036

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by Threegoofs View Post
    Well, I can only go by personal experience of working at a University Hospital and getting a full tuition waiver for school. It was a substantial amount, and none of it was taxable. I was certainly an employee.

    The issue is silly, because if these students will become employees, you know the law will allow them to get scholarships or they will be paid an equivalent amount to offset the scholarship cost (compensaion will be 'grossed up').
    And who gets to pay that bill?

Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •