Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 419

Thread: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

  1. #101
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,177

    Re: NLRB rules NW University footballers can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    no they generate 10 of millions in revenue that is not all profit.
    Nope. See above.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    in fact most athletics run on the edge as they have to fund a ton of sports that do not make money.
    So what?

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    like the volleyball and soccer teams. football and basketball sometimes pays for almost all of the funding the athletic department uses.

    football revenue isn't just used for football but all the sports programs.
    So what?

  2. #102
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: NLRB rules NW University footballers can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovax View Post
    Look at the expenses

    Alabama had $123,370,004 in expenses for a whopping profit of $399,837 or $4,703 per player
    Alabama incurred only $33,553,257 in detailed expenses. What is the remaining $90 million in expenses covering? Likely profit. I'm guessing that there are some hinky accounting rules in play here where the school loads non-athletic expenses onto the budget to eat up that $90 million.

    Check the math yourself.

  3. #103
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Labor board: Northwestern University football players can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    What union ever agreed to a cap on compensation? Hell, these athletes will want a pension after graduation. LOL
    If an athlete is good enough to be drafted into the pros, then he makes himself some coin and if he gets injured with a career ending injury, then he at least benefited before he got put out of the game for good. What happens to that very same player who gets a career ending injury during a college game?

  4. #104
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,586

    Re: NLRB rules NW University footballers can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    That data's from 2008. Revenues (and profits) have grown substantially since then.

    USA Today | Sports | COLLEGE

    Profits for 2012:

    Texas - $25million

    tOSU - $18million

    Michigan - $25million

    Alabama - $17million

    ....
    yep and that money goes back into the school to improve facilities among other things. it is also saved for future scholarships and other travel related expenses that
    come up.

  5. #105
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,177

    Re: NLRB rules NW University footballers can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    yep and that money goes back into the school to improve facilities among other things. it is also saved for future scholarships and other travel related expenses that
    come up.
    SO WHAT? What is your ****ing point? Why does this mean that college athletes who help earn tens of millions of dollars for their schools should be banned from being paid for it?

  6. #106
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,586

    Re: NLRB rules NW University footballers can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    Nope. See above.



    So what?



    So what?
    so if they have no money how do you expect them to pay players? i think only about 23-30 athletic departments make money other lose and have to find donations to make up the difference.

    so what is all you can come up with then you don't have much of an argument to make.

  7. #107
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,586

    Re: NLRB rules NW University footballers can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    SO WHAT? What is your ****ing point? Why does this mean that college athletes who help earn tens of millions of dollars for their schools should be banned from being paid for it?
    they already get compensated to the tune of 100-120k+ is that not enough for you?
    which if they are employee's under IRS rules that is now taxable.

    i seriously doubt they thought this through. in fact i know they didn't.

  8. #108
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,177

    Re: NLRB rules NW University footballers can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    they already get compensated to the tune of 100-120k+ is that not enough for you?
    I don't give a **** what they're paid. Let the market decide. Right now the NCAA has a prohibition on athletes being paid for their work. It's a gross interference with the free market operation of student-athlete labor and needs to be lifted.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    which if they are employee's under IRS rules that is now taxable.
    If it's income it should be taxed accordingly.

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    i seriously doubt they thought this through. in fact i know they didn't.

  9. #109
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: NLRB rules NW University footballers can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    they already get compensated to the tune of 100-120k+ is that not enough for you?
    which if they are employee's under IRS rules that is now taxable.

    i seriously doubt they thought this through. in fact i know they didn't.
    The solution to end this problem is simple - Northwestern can follow the lead of the auto manufacturers, they can move their football program and stadium to Mexico and get lower priced football player labor there.

  10. #110
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,586

    Re: NLRB rules NW University footballers can unionize

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    I don't give a **** what they're paid. Let the market decide. Right now the NCAA has a prohibition on athletes being paid for their work. It's a gross interference with the free market operation of student-athlete labor and needs to be lifted.
    wait you said they needed to be compensated. i told you they were and you said you didn't care.
    what exactly is your argument again.

    when added up a college football player gets about 100-120k+ depending on the school to play football.

    If it's income it should be taxed accordingly.
    Sure tell a kid that has no money that he owes 60k plus a year in taxes for playing a sport.


    That pretty much sums up your argument.

Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •