Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 143

Thread: Girl, 9, barred from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

  1. #11
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,143

    Re: Girl, 9, barred from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    You can't sue over a child's suspension for rule-breaking. Were that so, the ghettos would be packed with millionaires.
    so, a kid's head cannot be shaved to eliminate the presence of head lice? interesting surmise. wrong too
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Girl, 9, barred from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    so, a kid's head cannot be shaved to eliminate the presence of head lice? interesting surmise. wrong too
    They already publicly stated that it was for cancer support. Now had she kept her mouth shut, she could argue that. She'd probably still lose, but she could argue it.

    Lice don't know there's an honor code.

  3. #13
    Professor

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-21-17 @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,577

    Re: Girl, 9, barred from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

    Stupid administration is stupid. Absolutely no reason to punish a kid for an act of charity towards someone in need - especially one that will not disrupt the educational experience she or her classmates recieve. I think there are times when school administrators forget exactly what they are there to do: promote the educational experience of the children and promote them becoming decent people. Any monkey can mindlessly enforce policies and procedures. Whoever is in charge of making this decision to come down hard on the girl is in my opinion being paid more than they are worth and should apologize to the girl and then either take a salary cut or be terminated.

  4. #14
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Girl, 9, barred from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

    School handbook can be found here: http://www.caprockacademy.org/wp-con...nal-draft1.pdf

    Page 33: no shaved heads. Pretty clear cut(get it?). I think it is time people atop being outraged all the time. School is public, but not one kids are required to attend. School has a special ruleset. Student ignores rules. Student is punished. People spaz out that a school enforces its rules.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #15
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,936

    Re: Girl, 9, barred from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

    Look at this statement.......
    the dress code "was created to promote safety, uniformity, and a non-distracting environment for the school's students. Under this policy, shaved heads are not permitted."

    Explain a safety hazard resulting from a shaved head: "uniformity", in this application isn't that another way of say they discourage students from thinking as individuals?
    A "non-distracting environment", now I am going to guess those kids and I means 100 % of the student body have seen thousands of shaved heads.
    I think this young lady, Kamryn has learned that there are many stupid things and people that she will cross paths with in her life and this has been one of them. Last, if I knew the name of the school was Cap Rock I would have not applied.
    It's nothing more than X's and O's.

  6. #16
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,012

    Re: Girl, 9, barred from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Do you know that many of the best education systems in the world have not just dress codes, but school uniforms as well. Part of what charter schools ate supposed to do is provide alternatives to the standard US public schools.
    Yes. I am aware of that.

    One could make the case the school doesn't care about the sick child who the friend is supporting. Charter school or not. The school missed a learning opportunity. Instead, lets just suspend the kid who is trying to support her friend.

  7. #17
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Girl, 9, barred from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by rhinefire View Post
    Look at this statement.......
    the dress code "was created to promote safety, uniformity, and a non-distracting environment for the school's students. Under this policy, shaved heads are not permitted."

    Explain a safety hazard resulting from a shaved head: "uniformity", in this application isn't that another way of say they discourage students from thinking as individuals?
    A "non-distracting environment", now I am going to guess those kids and I means 100 % of the student body have seen thousands of shaved heads.
    I think this young lady, Kamryn has learned that there are many stupid things and people that she will cross paths with in her life and this has been one of them. Last, if I knew the name of the school was Cap Rock I would have not applied.
    Why is this hard? If you don't like the rules, do not send your kid to the school.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Girl, 9, barred from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    seems an arbitrary rule
    atrociously so if it causes a child to forfeit a part of her education
    kudos for the kid to be willing to shave her head in support of her friend. she should be celebrated by the community instead of made a pariah by the school

    the parents should have kept quiet and sued - for large money - that their daughter was denied an education because her head was shaved for medical reasons: to get rid of lice
    I do agree with most of what you are saying. I would be proud of my daughter for this. But I doubt that she could sue. In order to take it to court she would need a legitimate medical reason supported by a doctor.

    When you enroll you child in a charter or any private school you are agreeing to abide by their rules. As a parent you have to know what those are before committing there. I understand the girls intent was noble, and I would like to see the school support her, however, it is the schools choice. The parents can switch schools, they can try to convince other parents to switch schools. But thats about all they can do.
    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.”
    Stephen R. Covey


  9. #19
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,377

    Re: Girl, 9, barred from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    School handbook can be found here: http://www.caprockacademy.org/wp-con...nal-draft1.pdf

    Page 33: no shaved heads. Pretty clear cut(get it?). I think it is time people atop being outraged all the time. School is public, but not one kids are required to attend. School has a special ruleset. Student ignores rules. Student is punished. People spaz out that a school enforces its rules.
    Clearly everyone on DP is clicking the link because it wasn't responding for me. I'm generally one to agree with this sentiment, but I wasn't able to see if there was an appeals procedure or whether there are avenues of exception (doctor's note, etc.). I can certainly understand if they were trying to avoid having distracting hair styles, but to have no hair due to shaving seems to be outside that sentiment.

  10. #20
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,315
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Girl, 9, barred from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    Yes. I am aware of that.

    One could make the case the school doesn't care about the sick child who the friend is supporting. Charter school or not. The school missed a learning opportunity. Instead, lets just suspend the kid who is trying to support her friend.
    I certainly hope they do not care about the sick child. It is not their responsibility. Their responsibility is to their students and parents who enrolled their children in a school expecting certain standards that the school advertised. That includes a strict dress code.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •