Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 143

Thread: Girl, 9, barred from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

  1. #131
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,309

    Re: Girl, 9, barred from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Actually, my heart goes out to her if she is forced to wear a wig in school. She will be teased unmercifully.
    If so the administration put their heads together and made a pile of rocks.

  2. #132
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Girl, 9, barred from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    how many rich robbers do you know about?

    now, how many rich people do you know of, the ones who exploit the established system?
    Playing to emotions isn't debate, it's the sign of a desperate person with no argument

    Rich people perpetrating fraud are ALSO doing wrong in my mind

    Perpetrating fraud against "the rich" (of which I'm not even sure you could classify the school as such) doesn't magically make it legal or right.

  3. #133
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:56 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Girl, 9, barred from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Playing to emotions isn't debate...
    Wouldn't that be an indictment on this whole thread?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #134
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,205

    Re: Girl, 9, barred from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    You've seriously got to be kidding me.
    Figures you'd focus on the hyperbole and ignore the serious points made in the post. I'll look forward to your next quippy gem as you peruse my posts in this and other threads.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #135
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,205

    Re: Girl, 9, barred from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    It might be an elite school that is difficult to get into, or not. Charter schools are not all the same. One thing they do have in common: They have to attract students. If no one goes there, the school closes.
    That's fair - charter schools, in general, tend to have good reputations and are desirable so they'd have to otherwise be pretty bad to lose students over this.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #136
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,205

    Re: Girl, 9, barred from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Playing to emotions isn't debate, it's the sign of a desperate person with no argument

    Rich people perpetrating fraud are ALSO doing wrong in my mind

    Perpetrating fraud against "the rich" (of which I'm not even sure you could classify the school as such) doesn't magically make it legal or right.
    This whole issue is about emotions. It's about the empathy (capacity to recognize emotions) that a little girl showed towards the suffering that her friend was going through. Not recognizing that is a sign of a person who can't raise their nose out of a rule book and see the world going on around them.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  7. #137
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,205

    Re: Girl, 9, barred from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Wouldn't that be an indictment on this whole thread?
    Showing empathy is an indictment now? An indictment of a little girl who showed empathy and an indictment of those here and elsewhere who empathize with her because of it.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  8. #138
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Girl, 9, barred from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Figures you'd focus on the hyperbole and ignore the serious points made in the post.
    Perhaps people should not engage in hyperbole if they don't want people to comment on it.

  9. #139
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,205

    Re: Girl, 9, barred from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Perhaps people should not engage in hyperbole if they don't want people to comment on it.
    Perhaps, or they could just recognize it for what it is. Is there a rule against using hyperbole to point out the ludicrous?
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  10. #140
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Girl, 9, barred from school for shaving head to support friend with cancer

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Perhaps, or they could just recognize it for what it is. Is there a rule against using hyperbole to point out the ludicrous?
    No rule against it, but I didn't suggest it was an issue of the rule. It's an issue about credability and worth of ones argument.

    Sure, a clown can come on stage, throw a pie in someones face, and then start talking about socio-economic issues between China and Russia. There's no law against doing that (in relation to your random strawman regarding "rules"). But it's also a completely reasonable notion that there will be a significant dearth of trust in terms of the clowns credability and worth in terms of his argument based on the surrounding context.

    When one inserts blatant hyperbole into an argument without a clear and meaningful reason and thats not obviously connected directly and integrally to the point one is making then it clouds the entire argument in a context of bafoonery and cheap appeals to emotion and extremes for the sake of getting a reaction rather than making an argument. It's no one's fault but the individual presenting the hyperbole if people decide to focus on that portion, because they CHOSE to provide that oppertunity to their debate opponent by including it.

    Nothing inherently wrong with Hyperbole, but if you choose to use it you gotta accept the baggage that comes with such a tactic imho. And that's not even talking about some who either don't have any other argument and just jump straight to hyperbole (They expelled a girl for a few days, GIVE THEM CANCER!) or who seemingly use hyperbole but end up being serious (They expelled a girl for a few days, THEY SHOULD'VE COMMITTED FRAUD!).

    If it was integral to the point they were making, then it shouldn't be an issue that they focused on the hyperbole because it should still connect to the other points. If it WASN'T integral and doesn't connect, well then it's that persons fault for adding it in there if they didn't want it address. Complaining about it isn't useful, it just further highlights the lack of an argument that they had to begin with.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •