Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 215

Thread: Thousands of Gallons of Crude Oil Spills in Ohio Nature Preserve

  1. #141
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Thousands of Gallons of Crude Oil Spills in Ohio Nature Preserve

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Yes, that is right. However, it is clear that you believe that the term "Welfare" means something totally different than what the founders meant by the term. When they were saying 'welfare' they were speaking of the survival of the union through things like raising a standing army for defense, NOT paying for your monthly food allotment.

    Well, thank you, but I don't need your permission. You are clearly a supporter of big government, with cradle to grave entitlements, but I don't want the government with that much control over my life.
    Why do you believe providing for the general welfare does not mean what it says? Compare and contrast that to providing for the common defense. Does the common defense Only consist of coastal fortifications?

  2. #142
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,340
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Thousands of Gallons of Crude Oil Spills in Ohio Nature Preserve

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    If you want to change the constitution, update it, or reform it in any way, there is a process for that....You don't just get to declare that you don't like the limitations anymore so you're not going to follow it....
    That isn't what I said.

    The constitution and your system of government does need a dramatic overhaul but that's not possible because of how many people stick dogmatically to "What would the founders do, what did the founders want".

    In business you have something called an S curve, which is the life of any product or business idea... eventually loses effectiveness or becomes unpopular at which point a new ideas and products must be implemented to prevent the destruction of the company.

    Recently I attended a seminar with a guy who was one of the top Disney executives for a long time, this guy opened Tokyo Disney among other things.

    And in the top brass meetings after Walt Disney died, the company almost died because they would constantly go "what would Walt Do, what would Walt want, Walt wouldn't like that" etc.

    It took a massive shift to make the company successful again.

  3. #143
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Thousands of Gallons of Crude Oil Spills in Ohio Nature Preserve

    Quote Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
    Why do you believe providing for the general welfare does not mean what it says? Compare and contrast that to providing for the common defense. Does the common defense Only consist of coastal fortifications?
    Because "the General Welfare" it was clear was not concerning the individual, as in their day to day well being, food, housing, etc. But rather, the "Welfare of the country"..... And that was to provide a free place for people to succeed on their own free from government interference as they had in England at the time. General Welfare is a clause, or if you will a goal, and Common Defense is a tool within the power granted to achieve that goal.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #144
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Thousands of Gallons of Crude Oil Spills in Ohio Nature Preserve

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    That isn't what I said.

    The constitution and your system of government does need a dramatic overhaul but that's not possible because of how many people stick dogmatically to "What would the founders do, what did the founders want".

    In business you have something called an S curve, which is the life of any product or business idea... eventually loses effectiveness or becomes unpopular at which point a new ideas and products must be implemented to prevent the destruction of the company.

    Recently I attended a seminar with a guy who was one of the top Disney executives for a long time, this guy opened Tokyo Disney among other things.

    And in the top brass meetings after Walt Disney died, the company almost died because they would constantly go "what would Walt Do, what would Walt want, Walt wouldn't like that" etc.

    It took a massive shift to make the company successful again.
    If it "needs a dramatic overhaul" as you say, (I don't think it does) then there are methods, and ways to do that. You don't just say at some point I don't like that dusty old document anymore so let's throw it in the trash and do something different.....Unless of course, you don't ascribe to the rule of law.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #145
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,340
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Thousands of Gallons of Crude Oil Spills in Ohio Nature Preserve

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    If it "needs a dramatic overhaul" as you say, (I don't think it does) then there are methods, and ways to do that. You don't just say at some point I don't like that dusty old document anymore so let's throw it in the trash and do something different.....Unless of course, you don't ascribe to the rule of law.
    You're putting words in my mouth.

    You haven't actually tackled my point.

    Your current system of governance no longer works, it is fundamentally broken.

    I don't have all the answers but one thing that stands in the way of using prescribed methods to change thing is

    1) the two parties would have alot to lose, and so would never wish to change their current monopoly on power.

    2) Too many people have this nostalgic and strict view of the constitution without the required flexibility to make such necessary changes.

  6. #146
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Thousands of Gallons of Crude Oil Spills in Ohio Nature Preserve

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    You're putting words in my mouth.

    You haven't actually tackled my point.

    Your current system of governance no longer works, it is fundamentally broken.

    I don't have all the answers but one thing that stands in the way of using prescribed methods to change thing is

    1) the two parties would have alot to lose, and so would never wish to change their current monopoly on power.

    2) Too many people have this nostalgic and strict view of the constitution without the required flexibility to make such necessary changes.
    Change it to what exactly?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #147
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: Thousands of Gallons of Crude Oil Spills in Ohio Nature Preserve

    Someone should invent a way to harnass the energy from all those people running on tread mills. If one jogger running for an hour could produce enough energy to run a few appliances, imagine what a marathon could do. It just seems like all that people power could be put to better use.

  8. #148
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,340
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Thousands of Gallons of Crude Oil Spills in Ohio Nature Preserve

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Change it to what exactly?
    Look man I don't have all the answers.

    But the American government is fundamentally broken and it's painfully obvious a change is needed.

    I've proposed changes including proportional representation and a change to a more parliamentary style of governance that allows more parties and more views into the arena.

    Is it the best solution?

    I'm not sure.

    Every situation is different and it may require something else.

    But recognizing a major change is needed is but the first step of many, but probably one of the most important ones.

  9. #149
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,267

    Re: Thousands of Gallons of Crude Oil Spills in Ohio Nature Preserve

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Look man I don't have all the answers.

    But the American government is fundamentally broken and it's painfully obvious a change is needed.

    I've proposed changes including proportional representation and a change to a more parliamentary style of governance that allows more parties and more views into the arena.

    Is it the best solution?

    I'm not sure.

    Every situation is different and it may require something else.

    But recognizing a major change is needed is but the first step of many, but probably one of the most important ones.
    Well, damn. I have been hoping somebody would.

  10. #150
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Thousands of Gallons of Crude Oil Spills in Ohio Nature Preserve

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Look man I don't have all the answers.

    But the American government is fundamentally broken and it's painfully obvious a change is needed.

    I've proposed changes including proportional representation and a change to a more parliamentary style of governance that allows more parties and more views into the arena.

    Is it the best solution?

    I'm not sure.

    Every situation is different and it may require something else.

    But recognizing a major change is needed is but the first step of many, but probably one of the most important ones.
    Changing ourselves into a more Euro-centric type of government, with a Parliamentary system I don't believe is the answer....I know that is what Progressives want, is for America to conform more to a Euro system, but that is not what we are, and I would further say, that is exactly what we left.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •