Page 1 of 116 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 1157

Thread: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

  1. #1
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,791

    Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    DETROIT — In a historic ruling that provided a huge morale boost to the gay-rights movement, a federal judge Friday struck down Michigan's ban on same-sex marriage, making it the 18th state in the nation to allow gays and lesbians to join in matrimony just like their heterosexual counterparts.
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...age-ban/671022

    Another one bites the dust. It is noteworthy that not a single judge at any level has upheld a same-sex marriage ban since Windsor.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #2
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...age-ban/671022

    Another one bites the dust. It is noteworthy that not a single judge at any level has upheld a same-sex marriage ban since Windsor.
    This seems so silly to me. It's obvious that SSM is here to stay . . . that it's going to be ruled unconstitutional to ban it. Why are states wasting taxpayer money trying to fight it?? Taxpayers should be furious.

  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    This seems so silly to me. It's obvious that SSM is here to stay . . . that it's going to be ruled unconstitutional to ban it. Why are states wasting taxpayer money trying to fight it?? Taxpayers should be furious.
    Because there are taxpayers that want these bans no matter the monetary cost. They can't see past their own selves enough to realize that trying to ban it is a lost cause.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #4
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...age-ban/671022

    Another one bites the dust. It is noteworthy that not a single judge at any level has upheld a same-sex marriage ban since Windsor.
    Scary.

    So We, you know, the People, do not get to decide what is acceptable and not in our own culture anymore? Judicial tyrants decide that for us now, do they?

    Scary.
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  5. #5
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Trying to outlaw SSM makes as much sense as banning abortion or shutting down Gov't by holding your breath to stop the ACA.

    You may be against these things...but they aren't going anywhere, like screaming in your bedroom when you were three and being punished for hitting your sister.

  6. #6
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    This seems so silly to me. It's obvious that SSM is here to stay . . . that it's going to be ruled unconstitutional to ban it. Why are states wasting taxpayer money trying to fight it?? Taxpayers should be furious.
    To endorse the people to act like Nero seems ill fated to me. Taxpayers should be furious about their will being countermanded by a tyranny of the few.

    We had a revolution about that.
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  7. #7
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    Trying to outlaw SSM makes as much sense as banning abortion or shutting down Gov't by holding your breath to stop the ACA.

    You may be against these things...but they aren't going anywhere, like screaming in your bedroom when you were three and being punished for hitting your sister.
    Yes, that is what they said about getting rid of slavery at one point as well. Your proclamations to the contrary, all such injustice will be eventually rooted out. No doubt replaced by another one that we will have to manage then eventually iron out... its always a moving target and always trying to get it right, or at least better.

    ACA [boo-bamacare], SSM and abortion are not the saviors, they amongst the ragged holes needing a good patching back up.
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  8. #8
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    To endorse the people to act like Nero seems ill fated to me. Taxpayers should be furious about their will being countermanded by a tyranny of the few.

    We had a revolution about that.
    IMO, the majority of people in the United States couldn't care any less that SSM is allowed. So, yes, taxpayers should be furious that the tyranny of a few is wasting their money. You've just picked the wrong side.

  9. #9
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Scary.

    So We, you know, the People, do not get to decide what is acceptable and not in our own culture anymore?
    Correct.

    The People, through the govt, get to decide what is legal (not acceptable) but only within the limits set by our constitution.

    As an individual, you can accept (or not) whatever you choose. However, you must obey the law or suffer the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  10. #10
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Yes, that is what they said about getting rid of slavery at one point as well. Your proclamations to the contrary, all such injustice will be eventually rooted out. No doubt replaced by another one that we will have to manage then eventually iron out... its always a moving target and always trying to get it right, or at least better.

    ACA [boo-bamacare], SSM and abortion are not the saviors, they amongst the ragged holes needing a good patching back up.
    I don't remember "them" saying that about slavery....probably because I wasn't there to listen, and no one bothered to write is down for me.

    By the way....thanks for showing the validity of my point.

Page 1 of 116 1231151101 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •