Page 97 of 116 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast
Results 961 to 970 of 1157

Thread: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

  1. #961
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,082

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Judges are not supposed to make law from the bench and that is exactly what they are doing here.
    that's not true

    In a historic ruling that provided a huge morale boost to the gay-rights movement, U.S. District Judge Bernard Friedman Friday struck down Michiganís ban on same-sex marriage

  2. #962
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,082

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    You can't pass a law against a right that is clearly written out in the constitution, gay marriage does not rise to that level.
    you can if your reasoning is bad but to be fair its not clear to you in that case

  3. #963
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,082

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Everybody within US jurisdiction is Constitutionally protected under the 14th... so I would suppose same sex couples are protected under the 14th just about as much as two 12 year olds wanting to marry, especially if groups of 12 year olds and their advocates had been pushing this silliness as long as homosexuals have been pushing theirs.
    more like just as much as 2 people 1 black and 1 white wanting to marry

    cause your not letting 2 adults who can get married marry one another based on a trait that's not essential to a marriage in this case gender

    the hole their being treated as equals because their free to marry some one that the people discmrinaitng against them approve of, rather then the consenting adult of their choice is the exact same lie

  4. #964
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,082

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    So that would mean anybody that is not married could sue who, the Federal government, if they are not married? Would that not be an undeniable denial of one's civil rights?
    maybe if they found some one else who could get married and then the state decides to not let them marry without any rational cause then they could sue either the feds or the local government depending on who was ****ing with them and their rights

  5. #965
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,082

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Hey, if we are gonna be so preposterously idiotically silly as to who can be married from your ideological viewpoint, why not just bring on the kids... try to keep up, your side is the one that is taking things to the point of ludicrously absurd, don't blame me.

    You see, it is we who are the ones arguing for sanity in such cases.
    because being for same sex marge is not shown to be idiotic or silly and your just using a fallacy as a scare tactic and making yourself look like an asshole when you need popular support because you lack reason that's why not

  6. #966
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,781

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    So that would mean anybody that is not married could sue who, the Federal government, if they are not married? Would that not be an undeniable denial of one's civil rights?
    Only if they had been denied marriage. Who have you got lined up as an example?

    Is anyone attempting to marry, besides gays, and being denied? And if so, on what basis?

    Gays are being denied on gender discrimination, something clearly ruled on as unConstitutional. Let's examine your examples on that basis....you know, 'equal protection under the law.' Let's start there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #967
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,781

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Everybody within US jurisdiction is Constitutionally protected under the 14th... so I would suppose same sex couples are protected under the 14th just about as much as two 12 year olds wanting to marry, especially if groups of 12 year olds and their advocates had been pushing this silliness as long as homosexuals have been pushing theirs.
    Have you seen 12 yr olds (& their 'advocates') with that agenda? Or would you like to keep pulling false and unrelated examples out of the sky? Because it only shows how weak your position is.

    Do you want to deny that the ability to consent is not part of and should not be part of contractual law in the US?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #968
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,781

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate
    Finally? I have discussed previously what marriage is for and one of the main reasons is for protecting children that are, yes, created through the act of procreation that can only, besides in-vitro or cloning, be accomplished by opposite sex couplings. Marriage does not specifically require procreation, just the general likelihood of the ability to procreate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate
    No to your first question, In a free society I do not think it is possible, plausibly optimal but probably not possible...but if a SS couple have them one takes ones chances and gets what one gets in custody battles... one cannot complain and besides, no sympathy, not my/our problem.

    I would certainly not allow for SS adoption. Toleration is one thing, condoning, acceptance or promotion is simply out of the question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa
    And then are the children of gay couples less worthy of protection? They exist, thru natural reproduction, thru surrogacy, thru IV, thru adoption....do they not deserve the protection that marriage affords straight families?

    Because gay couples do desire families just as much as straight couples...and have them. Legalizing SSM wont change that...it will only provide more protections for families, kids. Gays arent going to stop having families......
    Seems it's still easier to punish kids than face the reality of society today...and what is best for kids.

    (No one has yet shown ANY harm to society at all, so one wonders how there is justification to make kids suffer.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #969
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,781

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Oh its been said plenty of times from our side...If the majority of the people don't want it as a part of our culture, we have no need to allow it. That is more than legal, it is the will of the people, we being the ultimate sovereigns here.

    Just when are you referencing that I brought up pedophiles... not that it isn't a "valid" argument? Just because its useful, applicable and effective... and you don't like it does not make an argument against it. But you can cry about it and tears might get you sympathy from some quarters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate
    We the people don't have to have that standard... we can just pass an amendment should we so choose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Yes you do. You cant just create a law for NO REASON.

    If you have a reason, what is it? I'd love to see a law based on 'we just dont like it, it makes us feel icky because we cant keep our minds out of their bedrooms.'


    I mean...they're not having sex on the sidewalks, are they?

    I love it! Please give us a reason! Otherwise you claim a majority of your other Americans are just preparing for a big temper tantrum, "I dont have to have a reason, I just dont like it!"
    ..............
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #970
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,781

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    And continuing with the theme of what "the majority" of Americans want....how about a little clarification here, you seem to have missed it:

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate
    No, not when it comes to fundamental changes in our culture we don't. You can, you do, because its been structured to go the wrong way here, the way you would like it to go. We do not have to stand for that as a culture. If its wrong and we do not want it, no court tricks are gonna make it happen
    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Please explain how it is 'wrong' and how their culture is any different. (It's not different....their lifestyles are exactly the same: PTA, dinner as a family, vacations, going to work, taking kids to soccer, piano lessons, dance class, gardening, taking out the garbage, mowing the lawn, community service, going to church, paying their bills, paying taxes, etc.)

    Any chance you could tell us how they will change our culture when their lives are exactly the same?
    Surely "the majority of Americans" have solid grounds for taking that stand! I'm sure you can justify it on their behalf, since you have so freely been speaking for "them" here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 97 of 116 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •