Page 92 of 116 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast
Results 911 to 920 of 1157

Thread: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

  1. #911
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Nope. Constitutionally protected under the EPC of the 14th Amendment. Otherwise, what exactly would the EPC protect because it doesn't specifically mention race at all.
    Everybody within US jurisdiction is Constitutionally protected under the 14th... so I would suppose same sex couples are protected under the 14th just about as much as two 12 year olds wanting to marry, especially if groups of 12 year olds and their advocates had been pushing this silliness as long as homosexuals have been pushing theirs.
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  2. #912
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,850

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Gays can pursue happiness all they want, who is stopping them?

    Wow, you really feel that way about gays, do you? Or do you just normally go around muttering caricatures of what it is you think is going on in other people's minds? Think that is a good debate tactic, or an illogical emotional release that just feels good?

    I have explained it plenty of times. Everybody doesn't get everything they want. Lets say I want a million dollars, are you going to say I don't deserve it? I am an American, don't I just deserve it? Why, because of my views on gay marriage, you just don't like me, that why? What if I want to marry my sister, we are both Americans, you just don't like us, do you?

    How about we get off the emotional merry-go-round here, huh?
    Gays dont want MORE than anyone else...they want what anyone else...any straight couple...in American gets. And you have not shown any reason why they should be denied.

    You most certainly are attempting to deny them one of the most important ways that American couples pursue happiness....thru marriage. You cant deny that.

    Marriage is about an emotional bond....is it not? So of course it's an emotional issue. Marriage is about love and intimacy...

    Does every other American get handed a million dollars by the state? No? OK, then you'll have to earn it and you have the same equal opportunity to do so as any other American...is anyone denying you that opportunity?

    So...back to reality....what grounds to you have to deny gay Americans the right to pursue the happiness and equal privileges and protections of marriage?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #913
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Everybody within US jurisdiction is Constitutionally protected under the 14th... so I would suppose same sex couples are protected under the 14th just about as much as two 12 year olds wanting to marry, especially if groups of 12 year olds and their advocates had been pushing this silliness as long as homosexuals have been pushing theirs.
    Your deliberate ignorance of judicial scrutiny is noted.

  4. #914
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    .


    Oh, I've ponder enough. The one denying here is the perceived majority. You lose nothing by not denying. Your marriage stays the same. You are free to honor or degrade it as you see fit. Only those denying rights are being tyrants. Not those seeking equality.

    And as you study, note the Constitution contains protections of the minority, and addresses equality.
    Sorry, but that is just ridiculous. We are all denied things every day. That is NOT tyranny. How simplistic.

    I know the Constitution, and its concepts, far better than others, it seems apparent. Why don't you inform me of where in the Constitution that the minority rules. Why don't you explain to us, if this is so, why there are all sorts of examples of majority rules within the Constitution itself... say for example, the majorities needed for amendments, and...oh, but you are right because the President is elected by a minority of electoral college votes...oh wait, no, that would be the majority, too... dang, maybe you can help me find a place in the Constitution where the minority wins... but I think you merely will find they, we, have rights in place so they, we, cannot be silenced and may, through those rights, potentially rise to the point of being the majority... which rules.

    Your turn.
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  5. #915
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,796

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Sorry, but that is just ridiculous. We are all denied things every day. That is NOT tyranny. How simplistic.

    I know the Constitution, and its concepts, far better than others, it seems apparent. Why don't you inform me of where in the Constitution that the minority rules. Why don't you explain to us, if this is so, why there are all sorts of examples of majority rules within the Constitution itself... say for example, the majorities needed for amendments, and...oh, but you are right because the President is elected by a minority of electoral college votes...oh wait, no, that would be the majority, too... dang, maybe you can help me find a place in the Constitution where the minority wins... but I think you merely will find they, we, have rights in place so they, we, cannot be silenced and may, through those rights, potentially rise to the point of being the majority... which rules.

    Your turn.
    this is easy lol

    heres a question i know that will never get answered

    when it comes to equal rights for gays WHO is being silenced?

    and bets on this NEVER being answered and getting dodged because the answer totally destroys the dishonesty in the quoted post.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #916
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Gays dont want MORE than anyone else...they want what anyone else...any straight couple...in American gets. And you have not shown any reason why they should be denied.

    You most certainly are attempting to deny them one of the most important ways that American couples pursue happiness....thru marriage. You cant deny that.

    Marriage is about an emotional bond....is it not? So of course it's an emotional issue. Marriage is about love and intimacy...

    Does every other American get handed a million dollars by the state? No? OK, then you'll have to earn it and you have the same equal opportunity to do so as any other American...is anyone denying you that opportunity?

    So...back to reality....what grounds to you have to deny gay Americans the right to pursue the happiness and equal privileges and protections of marriage?
    Good lord, have you read the thread? For the same reason we deny all sorts of others who may demand they too be able to be married... polygamists, father- daughter, grandfather-grandson, there are all sorts of people we deny this privilege to as that is not what we want our culture to become, a messed up mixed up chaotic train wreck...and because we can... we, the majority, can make such decisions about what our culture is and will be... if you convince enough of us to become the majority, your way becomes the way we do things... at least until we regain the majority and change it back... got it now?

    If you had taken the time to read the thread you would already have seen all this posted ad nauseum...
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  7. #917
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Sorry, but that is just ridiculous. We are all denied things every day. That is NOT tyranny. How simplistic.

    I know the Constitution, and its concepts, far better than others, it seems apparent. Why don't you inform me of where in the Constitution that the minority rules. Why don't you explain to us, if this is so, why there are all sorts of examples of majority rules within the Constitution itself... say for example, the majorities needed for amendments, and...oh, but you are right because the President is elected by a minority of electoral college votes...oh wait, no, that would be the majority, too... dang, maybe you can help me find a place in the Constitution where the minority wins... but I think you merely will find they, we, have rights in place so they, we, cannot be silenced and may, through those rights, potentially rise to the point of being the majority... which rules.

    Your turn.
    That is the easiest question you have ever asked. Article III of the Constitution that established the judicial branch. The judicial branch exists to protect INDIVIDUAL rights. That is the check the founders envisioned on the will of the majority. They respected it, but they knew it needed to be reasonable or it would be oppressive, so the judicial branch allows an individual to argue and defend their rights. Oddly enough, people like you who claim to value individual rights and to understand the Constitution know so little of its history. Start with Federalist Paper Number 10.

    Bill of Rights Institute: Federalist Papers No. 10

  8. #918
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,850

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Good lord, have you read the thread? For the same reason we deny all sorts of others who may demand they too be able to be married... polygamists, father- daughter, grandfather-grandson, there are all sorts of people we deny this privilege to as that is not what we want our culture to become, a messed up mixed up chaotic train wreck...and because we can... we, the majority, can make such decisions about what our culture is and will be... if you convince enough of us to become the majority, your way becomes the way we do things... at least until we regain the majority and change it back... got it now?

    If you had taken the time to read the thread you would already have seen all this posted ad nauseum...
    I dont esp. care if those other people are allowed marriage either. Please feel free to show how any of those groups is interested in getting married. Polygamists? Sure...let them make their case, I have nothing against it and dont see how it harms society either.

    Just because you feel uncomfortable...that marriage of other couples equals chaos....that is YOUR hangup. You have not ONCE shown how SSM has or may harm society. A lack of control over YOUR personal environment...that is your problem, not the rest of America's.

    If you cant prove any harm, any danger, anything wrong AT ALL...then it seems totally irrational to believe you should be able to enforce your unfounded paranoia on gays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #919
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Your deliberate ignorance of judicial scrutiny is noted.
    Your appreciation of judicial tyranny is also duly noted. We the People get to make the major decisions, our decisions, as to how our society will be, not a group of nine judges using some judicial jujitsu that could well go against the majority's will on far too important an issue.

    Hardly ignorance, just putting it in its proper place in the pecking order, yano?
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  10. #920
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Your appreciation of judicial tyranny is also duly noted. We the People get to make the major decisions, our decisions, as to how our society will be, not a group of nine judges using some judicial jujitsu that could well go against the majority's will on far too important an issue.

    Hardly ignorance, just putting it in its proper place in the pecking order, yano?
    You had a majority. Past tense. You lost it. Even conservative pollsters have conceded that same sex marriage is demographically a dead issue. Too many young people support it from both ends of the political spectrum. The like of the National Organization of Marriage now refer to themselves as a minority.

    Yeah, give me a country that protects individual rights against the mob and feel free to call it "judicial tyranny" if you want. I call it conservative principles, which you apparently have forgotten. You do nothing but spew populist rhetoric.
    Last edited by CriticalThought; 03-28-14 at 01:12 AM.

Page 92 of 116 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •