Page 49 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 1157

Thread: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

  1. #481
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    This was already answered. Read the responses to your posts or just stop posting entirely.

    And same-sex marriage bans do affect me. They prevent me from marrying a man. That I do not choose to exercise such a right is irrelevant. Much in the way a gun ban affects me despite my not owning a gun.
    So wrong, wow, lol...

    And truly, if you don't like my posts [yet you seem addicted ] just ignore them, most assuredly will not hurt my feelings...but to be so asinine as to attempt to tell me what I should do, well, shows a level of maturity that is probably a bit less than sufficient, would you not agree? If its getting to you that much that you cannot win, that you are just not that convincing, or persuasive, give it a rest.

    I certainly understand you have the harder task, an uphill battle, being on the wrong side of the issue and having to defend it.
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  2. #482
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,125

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    That is questionable, extremely questionable. You, being on that side, may feel that it is the same, that there are no provable, discernible differences between SS and OS couples' children and their development... but we don't really know, perhaps the repercussions will not be felt for a generation, maybe more. Just like climate change, current snapshots are not necessarily the best way to analyze medium to long term effects. For instance, we now know that the benefits of access at age 4 to the much praised and promulgated Head Start program are largely absent by First grade. You are willing to play Russian Roulette with these children's lives and with our society, I am not quite that nationally suicidal.
    What the hell are you talking about? Children are ALREADY being raised by same sex couples in all 50 states. The question is not whether or not same sex couples can raise children, but whether or not the kids will have better family stability if their parents are allowed to marry. What right do you have to deprive children raised by same sex couples the family stabilizing benefits of marriage?

    Next, its more than disingenuous to put forth something you indicate as being my "only argument". Hard to debate civilly with someone that insolently presumptuous... and that wrong. There are myriad "arguments". Going against nature, going against all established religious practices [ against the wisdom of the ages, empirical evidence ], a tyranny of the minority over the majority, going against the people's will and our ability to determine what is allowable and not in our own culture, SSM being absolutely unnecessary... well, you would get the idea, if you really wanted to, but I think you consciously turn away.
    Every state has the right to govern marriage as it sees fit, provided it does not violate the Constitutional rights of citizens. All the cases you mentioned were fair means by which the people could govern marriage and should, but bans against same sex marriage advance no legitimate state interest and infringe on the Constitutional rights of same sex couples. Your weak attempt to go down the slippery slope is logically fallacious because of the obvious fact that same sex couples are not the SAME as pedophiles, zoophiles, and polygamists. There are distinct differences which you deliberately choose to ignore in order to make the argument sound sensible in your own mind.

    As was itemized in another recent post of mine in this thread, all that rationality you present with regard to children...all can be erased, changed by a stroke of a pen, a judgement of an activist judge with the subsequent precedent, many things could go, and go rapidly, from rational to the irrational, proven by very the fact that, here we are, 2014, currently arguing whether same sexes should be able to marry one another. How rational is that... and you seem convinced you are on the right side. Ten years from now, if you folks get your way, I will be reminiscing about how I predicted that children will be allowed to serve on a juries, drive a car, marry, whatever... you haven't a clue, nor seemingly a care, as to what Pandoras you will be releasing upon us all.
    Wrong. No single judge in this land has any such power. At best it will go before a state judge, and then a state appeals court, and then a state Supreme Court, and then a federal court, and then a federal appeals court, and then the Supreme Court. It will be argued over and over and over again before dozens of judges before it gets anywhere near a final decision. Once again, go learn about Due Process. It is one of your Constitutional rights, so I would think you would know something of it.

  3. #483
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,803

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    So wrong, wow, lol...

    And truly, if you don't like my posts [yet you seem addicted ] just ignore them, most assuredly will not hurt my feelings...but to be so asinine as to attempt to tell me what I should do, well, shows a level of maturity that is probably a bit less than sufficient, would you not agree? If its getting to you that much that you cannot win, that you are just not that convincing, or persuasive, give it a rest.

    I certainly understand you have the harder task, an uphill battle, being on the wrong side of the issue and having to defend it.
    and yet every post you made has failed and been destroyed

    have you support your failed arguments with any facts yet? even once?

    have you answered how equal rights for gays effete you yet?

    Seems "the wrong" side as you call it is winning and in real life and destroying your posts her lol

    Let us know when this changes
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #484
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,868

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Protected classes don't get carte blanche. If they think they do, or if it even came close, we would need a wholesale recalibration society, a reset at normal. We are getting to the point of complete ridiculousness here, this is like a comedy show.

    .
    Gays dont want 'carte blanche,' they want the same thing that straight couples have.

    Is marriage ridiculous for straight people? If no, then it's not ridiculous for gays. Also, there are not great changes to infrastructure or society to make this happen....gays already reproduce, have families, participate in society, etc. in the same ways that straight couples do.

    There is **no real change**....only legal accommodations that are FAIR....EQUAL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #485
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,868

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Of course the courts have their place... they do not, however, supersede the will of the people on fundamental cultural constructs. They can tinker at the edges, at least until they become a roadblock to the will of the people. They, because of their position, do not become the new kings who make the people's will inferior.

    I would say all those laws you indicated that we would still have, and in some cases still have, did not have the majority supporting them when they were pushed to the side. There are lines to be drawn, red lines that folks do want adhered to, not the boobama style red lines. And even with all that history of injustice, that does not mean your side is right because we overcame injustice, real injustice, in the past. This is merely silliness, me me me-ness, that will fade as rapidly as it came up.

    Just because you are in the minority does not in any way mean you get to make the decisions for the rest of us... that is foolishness. The Constitution, nor the courts, were meant to do that, they were meant to protect your individual rights and allow you the freedom to say what you want, not to just do anything you want. That is simply an absurd analysis of our governing framework.

    One person's morals are not necessarily equivalent to another's. Newbie smarts rarely equates to the wisdom of the ages.
    You cannot seriously see that this entire 'argument' (and I use that term loosely)....applied to interracial marriage in its time?

    Word for word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #486
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,868

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Counting your turkeys way before they are hatched.

    As those younger currently thinking SSM is okay become adults they start thinking more clearly, like adults. They generally become more conservative. Especially after they realize the line of bull they have been force fed in school, in media and now by government... and should that not happen, wow, what a wonderfully mixed up and predictably war torn world this is soon to become. Once family stability breaks down here completely, once nobody cares much about anything worth caring about anymore, once the weakness that your side's termites are constantly eating away at our foundations to create becomes apparent to the predators out there in the world... and they are out there, waiting... well, we will see if you get to keep your cherished SSM then.

    Once you have chased all the strong away, nursed the rest into being namby pambies, the nation will be ripe for the picking. Yes, no doubt in your lifetime... if the quickening pace that is apparent in just this lifetime does not slow down. That would be unfortunate, yet poetic justice.
    ROFLMAO...are you basing your assessment of Americans more and more accepting SSM on that it's younger people supporting it?

    Ha ha ha ha. Not around here. Many people over 50, even 40, remember the civil rights movement and the fight for women's rights in the 70's. We are on the side of equality for gays too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #487
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,868

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Oh, I understand what you are saying, but you see, as a society we, many of us, don't want that kind of nothing matters above anything els sort of world. Some things aren't equal, are not meant to be equal, some things just should not be. Maybe we, as a nation, will at some point agree to allow this outrage, but not while we have the strength to support a strong nation.

    Not while I can help it.
    You have yet to show how it 'matters' at all. You have offered no harm at all... to you or marriage.

    You dont like it....that's it so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #488
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    The right to equal protection of the laws as stated in the 14th amendment.

    "No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

    Ahh, very nice, however inadequate, prestidigitational attempt at slipping in something that seemingly makes your case, but something I did not ask for. Remember? What I asked was you to provide proof of your claim, what you incorrectly misstated that you said I said.

    You said,
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Your argument is that Constutional rights should be up for a vote.
    Now, I ask again, please go back and provide me with the instance in which I argued that... you cannot, it does not exist, I never made the claim you said I did. Then you tried to make it seem like I had denied the 14th amendment. Busted. One major Naughty compounded by another Naughty.

    Both at best disingenuous.

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Same place. It is called "due process". I recommend you read the Constitution past the 10th amendment. There have been some developments in the last 200 years.
    Nice, smarmy post. I am quite familiar with our Constitution, obviously a bit more than yourself... Proof of an instance of proven awareness, you ask perhaps? I quoted that very same passage of the 14th myself, much earlier in the thread...

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/breaki...post1063065356

    Let me know if you ever really want to, you know, actually debate something.
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  9. #489
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,803

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Oh, I understand what you are saying, but you see, as a society we, many of us, don't want that kind of nothing matters above anything else sort of world. Some things aren't equal, are not meant to be equal, some things just should not be. Maybe we, as a nation, will at some point agree to allow this outrage, but not while we have the strength to support a strong nation.

    Not while I can help it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    You have yet to show how it 'matters' at all. You have offered no harm at all... to you or marriage.

    You dont like it....that's it so far.
    for PAGES AND PAGES

    the question has been asked is there any FACTS that support that failed claim and is there and facts that show how equal rights hurts anybody.

    This question has been ignored over and over and this wont change
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #490
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,868

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    That is questionable, extremely questionable. You, being on that side, may feel that it is the same, that there are no provable, discernible differences between SS and OS couples' children and their development... but we don't really know, perhaps the repercussions will not be felt for a generation, maybe more. Just like climate change, current snapshots are not necessarily the best way to analyze medium to long term effects. For instance, we now know that the benefits of access at age 4 to the much praised and promulgated Head Start program are largely absent by First grade. You are willing to play Russian Roulette with these children's lives and with our society, I am not quite that nationally suicidal.
    .

    This has absolutely nothing to do with SSM. These families exist now and will continue to do so. THey have done so in the face of public abuse and legal discrimination. Gay families HAVE BEEN and will continue to be part of American society. They arent going anywhere.

    However you CHOOSE to deny them the same benefits and legal protections that are accorded to straight couples and families. And can prove zero harm why you believe that's acceptable? blech, you make me ashamed to be a Christian. Many of these protections extend to their children.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 49 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •