Page 46 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 1157

Thread: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

  1. #451
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    IOW, it's a revenue grab.
    No. It is what people want. They want a way to be protected against other people when it comes to their relationships. Relationships are deemed important in our society so it is necessary to establish legal relationships so that there is some fairness/protection (because nothing is completely fair or protected) when it comes to various issues. Without recognition of kinship, who makes decisions for others when they can't and there are no documents? It makes it overall easier for society to have legal kin recognized for people.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #452
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Unable... or just unwilling?
    Your argument is that Constutional rights should be up for a vote. That is not how our system works. It falls on the state to justify why rights are being infringed. You cannot put forth a legitimate state interest that is advanced so you reject judicial authority and subsequently the entire Constitutional system. You are a straight up populist. You support mob rule.

  3. #453
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,669

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Just where is this gender discrimination? All genders have the same rights, all, if they want to marry, have to marry one of the opposite sex... that is equal for all genders. What do you not get about that?
    Because marriage is a contract that affords people of different genders certain things however it denies one person in a relationship those things...*based on their gender*. Things like next of kin, inheritance, hospital visits, etc etc etc. (Reader's Digest version, I cant believe someone else hasnt already covered this for you).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #454
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,669

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate
    Yeah, right.

    Maybe you can help me, and the rest of America, with all these folks wanting to ruin our culture with their ideas of forcing SSM on us then? I am sure you will be on board with that, right?
    You didnt tell me what rights of yours are being suppressed? You quoted something, but didnt answer it....just dodged. Try again.

    And while you are at it, please tell me what harm you see to our culture? You even have examples, as many states have had SSM for awhile now. Please make your case.

    Not only that, but gay families have ALWAYS been with us, only more public in the last decade or so. And they will always be with us, so legalization of their marriages wont change their existance....only make their relationships equal legally. So again: please demonstrate the harm. If you cannot, I suggest you stop lying about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #455
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    1. Anyone else notice he didn't actually name any effect?


    2. We allowed interracial marriage, what's to stop pedphile marriage?


    3. And there it is. Admission of support for sodomy laws and lynchings.


    4. And again, legalizing same sex marriage doesn't force you to accept anything. You're the one whining here. "Waaah. Waaah. Someone else is going to get married, and I don't want them to! This harms me because I don't want them to get married! Waaaaah!"

    See? Two can play that game.

    5. Your "debate" is pathetic. You cannot name any manner in which same-sex marriage causes you harm. None at all. This is why you've already lost. Same-sex couples are going to be getting married, nationwide, soon. Probably mid 2015, judging by how the SCOTUS schedule works. It has already been legal in Massachusetts for a freaking decade, where's all this doom you keep predicting?
    1. I think if anyone takes the time to actually notice, they will notice I pretty much mirrored your statements/answers [ see, I really do play down to my competition ], same depth, just a little more umph in mine than yours. So if you want to complain, look in the mirror...ha ha ha. By the way, I, and probably others, do notice you are not owning up to the burden being on you folks desiring change, yano? Ya see, we like it the way it is, actually the way it used to be, in this category, even better.

    2. We all also notice you have no answer to where and how to stop this if you open the floodgates... you most certainly left this answer hanging... so tell us, how will we stop anybody's marriage to anybody/thing? Pedophiles, siblings, parents-children, light-poles, yeah, the whole gamut...Ya see, Deuce, that's one of those "effects" you said I didn't give ya, yano?

    3. I think the proper response in this instance, in retort to your disgusting allusion that I supported lynching, requires that you utilize a screwdriver as there is apparently some assembly, or maybe some disassembly, required... but in your use of that tool, make sure you wear safety glasses and don't break any of those sodomy laws, ya hear?

    4. Yeah, as stated before, I have heard those promises before. We'll be expected to accept all as normal married couples, as if they are synonymous, which they most certainly aren't, sorry. But you folks will demand it. Folks on your side are not known for holding up to your side of the bargain.

    5. Thanks so much for the compliment. If you can't handle it, well, its not really saying that much, however it is good to know that you folks are aware that your side cannot just get off doing/saying whatever and expect everybody to just go merrily down that same path of deviance along with you. We are not going to just roll over and allow this stinky dog manure to continue to pile up unabated.

    Peace out, man.
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  6. #456
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,714

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Because progressive taxation promotes the idea that the money you earned is not really yours, and the need for all these exemptions therefore are needed to complicate the lives of families is a travesty....Taxes should be simple. Everyone owes a percentage, buy a stamp, and send it in.
    Irrelevant. Marriage recognition doesn't increase tax revenue. Quit trying to deflect the subject. Your "tax grab" comment was wrong.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #457
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,714

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    1. I think if anyone takes the time to actually notice, they will notice I pretty much mirrored your statements/answers [ see, I really do play down to my competition ], same depth, just a little more umph in mine than yours. So if you want to complain, look in the mirror...ha ha ha. By the way, I, and probably others, do notice you are not owning up to the burden being on you folks desiring change, yano? Ya see, we like it the way it is, actually the way it used to be, in this category, even better.
    Still not naming any effect. It's not on me to disprove harm, it's on you to prove it.

    2. We all also notice you have no answer to where and how to stop this if you open the floodgates... you most certainly left this answer hanging... so tell us, how will we stop anybody's marriage to anybody/thing? Pedophiles, siblings, parents-children, light-poles, yeah, the whole gamut...Ya see, Deuce, that's one of those "effects" you said I didn't give ya, yano?
    I've answered this many times. Children and animals and objects cannot sign legal contracts, the latter two because they aren't people. Sufficient state interest exists to prevent children from signing legal contracts, as they lack the capacity to make informed decisions regarding something like this.

    Your turn.

    3. I think the proper response in this instance, in retort to your disgusting allusion that I supported lynching, requires that you utilize a screwdriver as there is apparently some assembly, or maybe some disassembly, required... but in your use of that tool, make sure you wear safety glasses and don't break any of those sodomy laws, ya hear?
    Oh, so just the sodomy laws then. My apologies. You support the government deciding what can go on in our bedrooms.

    4. Yeah, as stated before, I have heard those promises before. We'll be expected to accept all as normal married couples, as if they are synonymous, which they most certainly aren't, sorry. But you folks will demand it. Folks on your side are not known for holding up to your side of the bargain.
    That's a social issue, not a legal one. You will still get to hate gay people all you want, you have that right. And I have the right to call you out for your hate.

    5. Thanks so much for the compliment. If you can't handle it, well, its not really saying that much, however it is good to know that you folks are aware that your side cannot just get off doing/saying whatever and expect everybody to just go merrily down that same path of deviance along with you. We are not going to just roll over and allow this stinky dog manure to continue to pile up unabated.
    You still can't identify any way in which this affects you.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #458
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    1. I think if anyone takes the time to actually notice, they will notice I pretty much mirrored your statements/answers [ see, I really do play down to my competition ], same depth, just a little more umph in mine than yours. So if you want to complain, look in the mirror...ha ha ha. By the way, I, and probably others, do notice you are not owning up to the burden being on you folks desiring change, yano? Ya see, we like it the way it is, actually the way it used to be, in this category, even better.

    2. We all also notice you have no answer to where and how to stop this if you open the floodgates... you most certainly left this answer hanging... so tell us, how will we stop anybody's marriage to anybody/thing? Pedophiles, siblings, parents-children, light-poles, yeah, the whole gamut...Ya see, Deuce, that's one of those "effects" you said I didn't give ya, yano?

    3. I think the proper response in this instance, in retort to your disgusting allusion that I supported lynching, requires that you utilize a screwdriver as there is apparently some assembly, or maybe some disassembly, required... but in your use of that tool, make sure you wear safety glasses and don't break any of those sodomy laws, ya hear?

    4. Yeah, as stated before, I have heard those promises before. We'll be expected to accept all as normal married couples, as if they are synonymous, which they most certainly aren't, sorry. But you folks will demand it. Folks on your side are not known for holding up to your side of the bargain.

    5. Thanks so much for the compliment. If you can't handle it, well, its not really saying that much, however it is good to know that you folks are aware that your side cannot just get off doing/saying whatever and expect everybody to just go merrily down that same path of deviance along with you. We are not going to just roll over and allow this stinky dog manure to continue to pile up unabated.

    Peace out, man.
    State interest. That is what allows for restrictions within laws to be made.

    Restrictions are completely allowed, when the state can show that those restrictions further a legitimate state interest. And they must be able to back it up. Age restrictions for any laws are justified by citing a state interest in protecting children because we can show that children do not make rational, informed decisions and lack maturity to act in the same way as adults. They are also easily manipulated by adults and even older children. We can show these things to be true via valid research. We, as rational adults, can see how children, minors are not, in general, like adults. With age, comes maturity (for most). Restrictions on marriage to anything other than another person is easy, those things do not possess the capability of entering into any contract, or even to consent to any legal act. They do not possess recognizable communication skills or even consciousness. They are not granted rights as people at all. You are attempting a slippery slope argument. What prevents people from marriage to anybody/thing right now, without same sex marriages completely legal? State interests.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #459
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No. It is what people want. They want a way to be protected against other people when it comes to their relationships. Relationships are deemed important in our society so it is necessary to establish legal relationships so that there is some fairness/protection (because nothing is completely fair or protected) when it comes to various issues. Without recognition of kinship, who makes decisions for others when they can't and there are no documents? It makes it overall easier for society to have legal kin recognized for people.
    Ok, and that is a valid point. My "support" if you want to call it that for gay people able to be married is exactly rooted in this....I remember when I first learned that a gay couple didn't have any rights to be consulted when their partner was in the hospital, or the unfairness of a family coming into long term couples and basically looting the estate after passing, was wrong to me....So, my feeling is that it is more a live, and let live kind of mindset. I don't care what they do in their own home, just like they don't care what I do in mine...So, I really don't care if they get married, in fact let them. Let them enjoy the cost and pain of divorce too.

    The complaint I have is that this board is over run with gay marriage threads, Hell last month there were 4 of them at one point on page 1 of the forum. It's spam. We don't need to have the same argument every time a county seat determines that they are going to allow people to get married do we?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #460
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    1.)Who talks like this? Look J, I am not looking to get into a pissing match with you
    2.) where you proclaim everything you write down as "fact"
    3.) and dismiss everything the person talking with you says.
    4.)All I was saying is that there are more important things going on today, than to worry about who wants to marry who...I couldn't care less.
    5.) And what I am saying, is that I really don't think anyone other than hardcore activists on the issue really care a whole lot what gay people want to do.
    6.) Hell, just make it legal and get it over with already, I am sick and tired of seeing thread after thread on every little thing concerning it...
    7.)I'm just sayin'.... I really don't care.
    1.) there is no pissing match, Your statement was factually wrong
    2.) i didnt proclaim anything to be a fact it simply is. What i called a fact is. If you disagree by all means simply prove otherwise. I LOVE to read it.
    3.) this deflection will never work and nobody honest will buy it, again if you think the thing i called fact was wrong PROVE IT lol
    4.) nope that is FACTUALLY not what you said, this is what you added latter on to try and save your original FACTUALLY wrong statement. SHall i qoute you and prove this FACT?
    5.) and this would be ANOTHER back pedal and reframe from your original FACTUALLY wrong OP and its also wrong.
    6.) thanks for sharing your feelings but your OP was still factually wrong
    7.) so far there no evidence of that

    your op that i quoted was FACTUALLY wrong as me and others pointed out
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 46 of 116 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •