Page 25 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 1157

Thread: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

  1. #241
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Who cares anymore? I mean honestly, the moment this issue comes up now, people tune out....
    and what do you base that on?

    all these things prove you wrong

    the celebration where they happen
    the crying where they happen

    the celebration here when it happens
    the crying here when it happens

    the news reports, before, during and after
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #242
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...age-ban/671022

    Another one bites the dust. It is noteworthy that not a single judge at any level has upheld a same-sex marriage ban since Windsor.
    That is called a Tenth Amendment violation....

    Funny how states can sell pot and it allegedly violates Federal Law, but states cannot ban gay marriage which is not EVEN CLOSE to federal law - just individual interpretation.

    This is what you call a slippery slope to an authoritarian government.

    IMO, I could care less about either ideas but my concern is that both ideas are federal laws, one of which is blatantly and bluntly illegal (which pot should be legal) and the other issue - gay marriage is vague at best...

    I think it's time for the states to go tell the feds to go **** off...

    This republic and the separation of states from the federal government is falling apart

  3. #243
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,340
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    This is what you call a slippery slope to an authoritarian government.
    and this is what you call your brain on right wing extremism...

    The idea that striking down a ban on something (that's completely harmless by the way) = authoritarian, is absolutely laughable.

  4. #244
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    and this is what you call your brain on right wing extremism...

    The idea that striking down a ban on something (that's completely harmless by the way) = authoritarian, is absolutely laughable.
    No I call this defending the Tenth Amendment - not an individuals utopia.

    You want anarchy?

    You want a utopia?

    What is the ****ing difference?

    Oh yeah the Bill of Rights.

  5. #245
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    That is called a Tenth Amendment violation....

    Funny how states can sell pot and it allegedly violates Federal Law, but states cannot ban gay marriage which is not EVEN CLOSE to federal law - just individual interpretation.

    This is what you call a slippery slope to an authoritarian government.

    IMO, I could care less about either ideas but my concern is that both ideas are federal laws, one of which is blatantly and bluntly illegal (which pot should be legal) and the other issue - gay marriage is vague at best...

    I think it's time for the states to go tell the feds to go **** off...

    This republic and the separation of states from the federal government is falling apart
    The state has the right to regulate domestic relations as they wish, but that power is not unlimited. Laws defining and regulating marriage must respect the constitutional rights of persons within the state. In this case the marriage ban is clearly a violation of the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th amendment as it deprives same sex couples of the family stabilizing benefits of marriage and advances no legitimate state interest.

  6. #246
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    1.)That is called a Tenth Amendment violation....

    2.)Funny how states can sell pot and it allegedly violates Federal Law, but states cannot ban gay marriage which is not EVEN CLOSE to federal law - just individual interpretation.

    3.)This is what you call a slippery slope to an authoritarian government.

    4.)IMO, I could care less about either ideas but my concern is that both ideas are federal laws, one of which is blatantly and bluntly illegal (which pot should be legal) and the other issue - gay marriage is vague at best...

    5.)I think it's time for the states to go tell the feds to go **** off...

    6.)This republic and the separation of states from the federal government is falling apart
    1.)there is ZERO 10th amendment violation, this fallacy fails every time you state it and many posters have pointed this out.
    If you disagree simply post ONE single fact that makes it so . . . ONE

    2.) completely failed analogy. A) if the feds want to stop them they can, they have that right. B.) the state choosing isnt violating individual rights by not enforcing pot laws

    3.) nope its called both your arguments are complete failures and laughable.

    4.) yes by federal law pot is illegal and another law is that states arent allowed to violate individual rights and this is why they are losing.

    5 & 6.) both meaningless opinions that have nothing to do with this topic
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #247
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    No I call this defending the Tenth Amendment - not an individuals utopia.

    You want anarchy?

    You want a utopia?

    What is the ****ing difference?

    Oh yeah the Bill of Rights.
    You are perfectly free to try to make this an argument about the 10th amendment, but in so doing, you need to argue for why states are justified in enforcing interracial marriage bans. The entire idea that states have unlimited power in regulating marriage was dismissed in Loving v. Virginia in which the Supreme Court found that a state cannot pass marriage regulations that infringe on the constitutional rights of its residents without advancing a legitimate state interest. That ruling has been in effect since 1967 and so the Federalism angle you are pushing is kind of a dead end here.

  8. #248
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    The state has the right to regulate domestic relations as they wish, but that power is not unlimited. Laws defining and regulating marriage must respect the constitutional rights of persons within the state. In this case the marriage ban is clearly a violation of the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th amendment as it deprives same sex couples of the family stabilizing benefits of marriage and advances no legitimate state interest.
    And neither is weed......

    You see - you're just interpreting words that are vague, just because it suits your politics.

    I have a serious problem with our federal government (SCOTUS) picking and choosing HOW they chose to interpret and how they chose to discard.

    I could care less about gay marriage, however I do care how our SCOTUS chooses to interpret our constitution and Bill of Rights. If one is blatantly illegal via federal law (or at least needs a stamp) and the other is vague yet is enforced via interpretation - how do you feel about your other civil liberties and the Bill of Rights in general?

    I suppose you don't see it...... You just want a utopia....

  9. #249
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,136

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    And neither is weed......

    You see - you're just interpreting words that are vague, just because it suits your politics.

    I have a serious problem with our federal government (SCOTUS) picking and choosing HOW they chose to interpret and how they chose to discard.

    I could care less about gay marriage, however I do care how our SCOTUS chooses to interpret our constitution and Bill of Rights. If one is blatantly illegal via federal law (or at least needs a stamp) and the other is vague yet is enforced via interpretation - how do you feel about your other civil liberties and the Bill of Rights in general?

    I suppose you don't see it...... You just want a utopia....
    So...you support the idea that states should be free to regulate marriage with unlimited power even if it violates the constitutional rights of the citizens within the state? I am not looking for utopia, I personally just don't think states should be free to prohibit blacks from marrying whites, or Christians from marrying Muslims, or Republicans from marrying Democrats, or people of one sex from marrying someone of the same sex. I kinda believe in the Constitution and the 14th amendment.

    But if you have some particular issue with how the Supreme Court of 1967 interpreted the Constitution in Loving v. Virginia, I would love to hear it.

  10. #250
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    1.)And neither is weed......

    2.)You see - you're just interpreting words that are vague, just because it suits your politics.
    3.)I have a serious problem with our federal government (SCOTUS) picking and choosing HOW they chose to interpret and how they chose to discard.
    4.)I could care less about gay marriage, however I do care how our SCOTUS chooses to interpret our constitution and Bill of Rights. If one is blatantly illegal via federal law (or at least needs a stamp) and the other is vague yet is enforced via interpretation - how do you feel about your other civil liberties and the Bill of Rights in general?
    5.)I suppose you don't see it...... You just want a utopia....
    1.) neither is weed what your posts arent making sense
    2.) nobody believes this lie
    3.) how are they picking and choosing? what court cases are you referring too? what rights are being infringed on for weed?
    4.) see #3 you have nothing so far
    5.) more dishonest hyperbole that nobody honest and educated buys

    do you have any logical arguments that have merit and dont instantly fail?
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Page 25 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •