Page 23 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 1157

Thread: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

  1. #221
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,363

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    NOthing has changed for you years there hasnt been on solid reason to deny others equal rights on this issue and there wont be. Everyone of them has been destroyed and fouind to be a failure.

    Equality is winning and it has some people very scared and angry but nobody cares about thier meaningless feelings. THey lost, are losing and will have to get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajn678 View Post
    there is no such thing as an abortion on a dead fetus.

  2. #222
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    52,191

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Can you supply your sources for all that mess?

    Oh, and if you hadn't previously noticed, we have a track record with heterosexual marriage. Check it out.
    I was paraphrasing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme Court of the United States, Loving v. Virginia
    Because we reject the notion that the mere "equal application" of a statute containing racial classifications is enough to remove the classifications from the Fourteenth Amendment's proscription of all invidious racial discriminations, we do not accept the State's contention that these statutes should be upheld if there is any possible basis for concluding that they serve a rational purpose. The mere fact of equal application does not mean that our analysis of these statutes should follow the approach we have taken in cases involving no racial discrimination where the Equal Protection Clause has been arrayed against a statute discriminating between the kinds of advertising which may be displayed on trucks in New York City, Railway Express Agency, Inc. v. New York, 336 U.S. 106 (1949), or an exemption in Ohio's ad valorem tax for merchandise owned by a nonresident in a storage warehouse, Allied Stores of Ohio, [388 U.S. 1, 9] Inc. v. Bowers, 358 U.S. 522 (1959). In these cases, involving distinctions not drawn according to race, the Court has merely asked whether there is any rational foundation for the discriminations, and has deferred to the wisdom of the state legislatures. In the case at bar, however, we deal with statutes containing racial classifications, and the fact of equal application does not immunize the statute from the very heavy burden of justification which the Fourteenth Amendment has traditionally required of state statutes drawn according to race.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #223
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    01-07-18 @ 10:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I was paraphrasing.
    Well, I am assuming since we obviously can break with tradition in the state's jurisdiction "which the Fourteenth Amendment has traditionally required of state statutes" then we can break tradition wherever it is we really please, correct?

    You folks want your way and we, in "fair" turn, want ours... let the battle continue as long as either side is willing to engage.
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  4. #224
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,363

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Well, I am assuming since we obviously can break with tradition in the state's jurisdiction "which the Fourteenth Amendment has traditionally required of state statutes" then we can break tradition wherever it is we really please, correct?

    You folks want your way and we, in "fair" turn, want ours... let the battle continue as long as either side is willing to engage.
    tradition simply doesnt matter to individual rights you posted another failed strawman
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajn678 View Post
    there is no such thing as an abortion on a dead fetus.

  5. #225
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    52,191

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Well, I am assuming since we obviously can break with tradition in the state's jurisdiction "which the Fourteenth Amendment has traditionally required of state statutes" then we can break tradition wherever it is we really please, correct?

    You folks want your way and we, in "fair" turn, want ours... let the battle continue as long as either side is willing to engage.
    You're cherry picking a phrase and doing it wrong. It has never been in anyone's tradition for the states to violate equal protection. Every judge since Windsor has ruled that same-sex marriage bans violate equal protection. Yours is the side wanting to restrict freedom, on no basis other than your personal disapproval. That is not an argument you are going to win in a constitutional challenge, and I'm thankful to God that America works that way.

    Keep fighting, if stopping two men from marrying each other is really that important to you. If it has such a profound impact on your life that you must spend energy to stop it, keep spending that energy. Keep fighting. Just know that you've already lost. The precedent is already set, the arguments made, and the "will of the people" is abandoning your side faster than anyone expected.
    Last edited by Deuce; 03-22-14 at 07:37 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #226
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    52,191

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Fun fact:

    This tyrannical, liberal activist judge was appointed by Ronald Reagan.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #227
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    45,363

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Fun fact:

    This tyrannical, liberal activist judge was appointed by Ronald Reagan.
    niiiiiice

    LOL

    nobody honest and educated buys that tyrannical, liberal activist judge anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajn678 View Post
    there is no such thing as an abortion on a dead fetus.

  8. #228
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    01-07-18 @ 10:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You're cherry picking a phrase and doing it wrong. It has never been in anyone's tradition for the states to violate equal protection. Every judge since Windsor has ruled that same-sex marriage bans violate equal protection. Yours is the side wanting to restrict freedom, on no basis other than your personal disapproval. That is not an argument you are going to win in a constitutional challenge, and I'm thankful to God that America works that way.

    Keep fighting, if stopping two men from marrying each other is really that important to you. If it has such a profound impact on your life that you must spend energy to stop it, keep spending that energy. Keep fighting. Just know that you've already lost. The precedent is already set, the arguments made, and the "will of the people" is abandoning your side faster than anyone expected.
    Thanks for proving you have not studied much of our history, at least not beyond surface scratching.

    The 14th was passed right after our Civil War here in the states...nearly 150 ago now... and you are saying that there was no tradition of not strictly nor truly following the spirit of "equal protection"? You know that not to be true, so why would you use something known to be false?

    There is an entire region of the country that was known for the intransigence of its democrats on certain such issues, traditionally.

    Our side is trying to keep some semblance of order, to have some solid foundations for future generations to use to get their footing. We inherited this solidity, this innate strength from preceding generations. Your side wants what you want, right now, doesn't matter whose rights or traditions you have to step on to get it, you think its right... and apparently so be it. Well there are a number of us others out here with very different views.

    And thanks for the encouragement. So yes, I will keep fighting these and other battles against the forces, the crafty, and the just following, termites undermining, trying to gnaw away at all the good wood, to weaken us and the great structure our forefathers built.
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  9. #229
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    52,191

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Thanks for proving you have not studied much of our history, at least not beyond surface scratching.

    The 14th was passed right after our Civil War here in the states...nearly 150 ago now... and you are saying that there was no tradition of not strictly nor truly following the spirit of "equal protection"? You know that not to be true, so why would you use something known to be false?

    There is an entire region of the country that was known for the intransigence of its democrats on certain such issues, traditionally.

    Our side is trying to keep some semblance of order, to have some solid foundations for future generations to use to get their footing. We inherited this solidity, this innate strength from preceding generations. Your side wants what you want, right now, doesn't matter whose rights or traditions you have to step on to get it, you think its right... and apparently so be it. Well there are a number of us others out here with very different views.

    And thanks for the encouragement. So yes, I will keep fighting these and other battles against the forces, the crafty, and the just following, termites undermining, trying to gnaw away at all the good wood, to weaken us and the great structure our forefathers built.
    Your rebuttal is that sometimes equal protection has not been followed? That violation of equal protection actually is a tradition... and, what, therefore should be upheld!?

    Which right of yours, exactly, is being stepped on when a man marries a man? And why is your tradition enshrined in the law and used to bar other people from action, but mine isn't? Do you also want to make eating shrimp illegal? Some people have that tradition. Why are you trampling on that tradition, you shrimp eater?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #230
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    We've "expanded" it to give more people rights. If the vast majority disagrees, they are free to change the Constitution via Amendment.
    Sorry, it's specifically designed to work the other way. You want to expand it, amend the Constitution.

Page 23 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •