Page 15 of 116 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 1157

Thread: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

  1. #141
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Why does the constitution mean what you say it means?
    the funny thing is the consitution was upheld in this ruling not infringed on

    its all crap and more DESPERATION to deny equal rights to people, practice bigotry or discriminated against them

    slippery slope (moronic)
    religion (meaningless and not impacted by legal marriage)
    tradition (meaningless and not impacted by legal marriage)
    sanctity (meaningless and not impacted by legal marriage)
    states rights (100% not infringed on by protecting individual rights)
    government shouldn't be involved in any marriage(only after equal rights started winning and government will ALWAYS need to be involved)
    votes of the people (people dont get to vote away others rights)

    all completely failed arguments that nobody educated, honest and objective takes seriously because they are all based on intellectually dishonest hyperbole that people simply dont buy.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #142
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Are you under the impression that you're going to be forced to marry a dude?



    I am not under the impression that I can be forced to marry anyone.

    In any case, I'm already married.

  3. #143
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    I am not under the impression that I can be forced to marry anyone.

    In any case, I'm already married.
    I was confused because that would be the counterpart to the forced Bieber attendance. (which is not only unconstitutional, but easily qualifies as a war crime)
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #144
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Why does the constitution mean what you say it means?
    Words have established meaning. At least they did when the document was authored. In fact the framers even wrote down their thoughts, explaining what they meant when they wrote those words. Of course that's apparently no longer the case and it's a "living constitution", which means words mean whatever the ayatollahs of the current generation say they mean.

  5. #145
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The courts decide these matters. The people many times get abused by the state when they make a ruling. This time just happens to be an exception to the rule in the case of the later.
    In many cases, the people don't. You know how you can tell? If the people felt the Court was ruling something against their wishes, they could push for an Amendment to counteract that ruling. That is how the people are allowed to overcome Court rulings. If enough people really want it, they are free to make that Amendment. Any blatant contradictions to the Constitutions would take other methods, but you can't show how ruling that people have more freedom in their marriage choices blatantly violates the Constitution.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #146
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Words have established meaning. At least they did when the document was authored. In fact the framers even wrote down their thoughts, explaining what they meant when they wrote those words. Of course that's apparently no longer the case and it's a "living constitution", which means words mean whatever the ayatollahs of the current generation say they mean.
    Words change meaning all the time.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #147
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Aww, poor guy is mad about losing his right to vote away someone else's rights.
    Not mad, disappointed. My hope was people would wake up to the nonsense about a living constitution and learn to change it to suit the proper way as the framers intended. But instead the lazy ones persist, willing to allow ayatollahs to decide for us. I'm not at all comforted by the federal uber alles, nor am I at all attracted to the nanny state.

  8. #148
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Words change meaning all the time.
    Indeed they do. However, founding documents authored under one meaning do not change their content just because you've decided you don't know the meaning of "is".

  9. #149
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Aww, poor guy is mad about losing his right to vote away someone else's rights.
    some people get very upset when they are no longer allowed to discriminate and deny others equality. SOme people get really mad when others rights are protected too because they only care about thier own rights.

    These examples are common in gay rights thread, there are still many that dont want gays to have thier rights protection. They view them as lessers.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #150
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Indeed they do. However, founding documents authored under one meaning do not change their content just because you've decided you don't know the meaning of "is".
    And the founders left plenty of leeway in what rights were being protected by the Constitution. The main purpose of the Constitution was to limit the government, not the people, when it comes to the rights of the people. This extended to states via the 14th Amendment. Still limiting the government, not the people, when it comes to rights. So the more rights the people have and the less unjustifiable restrictions in government, the closer we are in reaching what the founders set forth to do, make a country as free as possible.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •