Page 13 of 116 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 1157

Thread: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

  1. #121
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Scary.

    So We, you know, the People, do not get to decide what is acceptable and not in our own culture anymore? Judicial tyrants decide that for us now, do they?

    Scary.



    Some people do find tolerance scary.




    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

  2. #122
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,351

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...age-ban/671022

    Another one bites the dust. It is noteworthy that not a single judge at any level has upheld a same-sex marriage ban since Windsor.
    Why is this even worthy of a debate. The Supreme court allowed it, now each state will check the box. Nothing for a lower Federal court to decide really.

  3. #123
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    America's ayatollahs strike again. So much for constitution, it means what they say it means. So much for the will of the people in their own state, it just doesn't matter. Don't fret, they're benevolent tyrants, they only want what they think is the very best for you.

  4. #124
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,795

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Some people do find tolerance scary.




    "Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll
    so true

    its sad theres so many people that believe in rights and freedom and equality but ONLY for themselves and not others
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #125
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    What trouble do you forsee resulting from two men or two women marrying each other?



    Disputes over who gets carried over the threshold and who holds the door?

  6. #126
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Scary.

    So We, you know, the People, do not get to decide what is acceptable and not in our own culture anymore? Judicial tyrants decide that for us now, do they?

    Scary.
    We do decide, via the US Constitution. We the people have decided that the states and other people, even a majority, cannot take treat groups unfairly under the law without showing that this treatment furthers some legitimate state interest (the 14th Amendment, EPC). That takes precedent over any vote the people make, whether direct (via ballot) or indirect (via representatives).
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    We do decide, via the US Constitution. We the people have decided that the states and other people, even a majority, cannot take treat groups unfairly under the law without showing that this treatment furthers some legitimate state interest (the 14th Amendment, EPC). That takes precedent over any vote the people make, whether direct (via ballot) or indirect (via representatives).
    The courts decide these matters. The people many times get abused by the state when they make a ruling. This time just happens to be an exception to the rule in the case of the later.

  8. #128
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    America's ayatollahs strike again.
    So much for constitution, it means what they say it means. So much for the will of the people in their own state, it just doesn't matter. Don't fret, they're benevolent tyrants, they only want what they think is the very best for you.



    Anyone who doesn't like the way that we do things in the USA needs to re-write the constitution or move to Saudi Arabia.

  9. #129
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,362

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    carried over the threshold
    Sexist symbolism.

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Anyone who doesn't like the way that we do things in the USA needs to re-write the constitution or move to Saudi Arabia.
    The Constitution is fine the way it is written. The problem is the court has assumed powers they were never given.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •