Page 116 of 116 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116
Results 1,151 to 1,157 of 1157

Thread: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

  1. #1151
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The government restricting marriage on the basis of sex/gender gives more rights to the government (in restricting marriage) and less to the people. All people have more choices when it comes to marriage if everyone is allowed to marry someone of either the opposite or the same sex.
    If you read through any of my writings on gay marriage, you'd know that I have taken a neutral if not supportive position on homosexuals being able to marry. So, I am really for government getting out of telling people who they can marry period.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #1152
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    If you read through any of my writings on gay marriage, you'd know that I have taken a neutral if not supportive position on homosexuals being able to marry. So, I am really for government getting out of telling people who they can marry period.
    People (the majority) want government in marriage. This isn't going to change because marriage via a single legal document, the legal marriage license, is much more convenient for those who wish to enter into it than having to draw up mounds of legal paperwork via a lawyer or other legal consultant. It is one of the only things in government that actually works for/benefits most people involved. It doesn't really cost the government anything (in fact, marriage has been shown to increase the government's revenue stream to a slight degree), and in fact has been shown in multiple ways to be beneficial to the government and society. It benefits most couples who enter into it through rights, privileges, legal kinship recognition, and so many other things. And it benefits individuals within the marriages through protections when it comes to either losing their spouse (from other legally recognized family members) or if the relationship ends (from the other spouse to a certain degree when it comes to property and even for some custody rights). And all of this is accomplished using one single document for every couple that in most places costs less than $100.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #1153
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    People (the majority) want government in marriage. This isn't going to change because marriage via a single legal document, the legal marriage license, is much more convenient for those who wish to enter into it than having to draw up mounds of legal paperwork via a lawyer or other legal consultant. It is one of the only things in government that actually works for/benefits most people involved. It doesn't really cost the government anything (in fact, marriage has been shown to increase the government's revenue stream to a slight degree), and in fact has been shown in multiple ways to be beneficial to the government and society. It benefits most couples who enter into it through rights, privileges, legal kinship recognition, and so many other things. And it benefits individuals within the marriages through protections when it comes to either losing their spouse (from other legally recognized family members) or if the relationship ends (from the other spouse to a certain degree when it comes to property and even for some custody rights). And all of this is accomplished using one single document for every couple that in most places costs less than $100.
    Ok, now I want you to couple what I said in post #1151, and what you said here, plus what you accused me of when you said this:

    "I'm sorry that you prefer to limit the rights of the people in favor of that of the government."

    And tell me who wants more government, and who wants less...? Your posting is inconstant.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #1154
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Ummm maybe because they ARE DIFFERENT?
    Not different in any characteristic that matters. Interracial couples are different. Red headed couples are different. Old couples are different than young couples. So why do you draw this distinction with gender and not any other characteristic?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #1155
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Ok, now I want you to couple what I said in post #1151, and what you said here, plus what you accused me of when you said this:

    "I'm sorry that you prefer to limit the rights of the people in favor of that of the government."

    And tell me who wants more government, and who wants less...? Your posting is inconstant.
    The government is involved no matter what when it comes to relationships. There is no removing the government from them because the government runs the courts.

    I apologize for assuming that you were saying either no same sex marriage or government out of marriage, but that is the normal reason people want the government out of marriage now. But the government getting out of marriage does not actually do any good. The government out of marriage harms the government, society. It causes so many more problems, that essentially, it puts the government in a worse position and costs them more money overall (given lawsuits and extended cases when it comes to people separating, and welfare benefits, and so many other things).
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #1156
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,309

    Re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post

    Your words come off sounding downright stupid; you run someone's point to an extreme in order to defeat the strawman you create. You're not really debating anyone, you're just spewing crap.
    Signature material right there.

  7. #1157
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The government is involved no matter what when it comes to relationships. There is no removing the government from them because the government runs the courts.

    I apologize for assuming that you were saying either no same sex marriage or government out of marriage, but that is the normal reason people want the government out of marriage now. But the government getting out of marriage does not actually do any good. The government out of marriage harms the government, society. It causes so many more problems, that essentially, it puts the government in a worse position and costs them more money overall (given lawsuits and extended cases when it comes to people separating, and welfare benefits, and so many other things).
    No way, we should let the free market decide whether or not my child is legally my child if my spouse dies.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •