Page 108 of 116 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1157

Thread: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

  1. #1071
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,796

    Re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Ever notice the opening words of the Constitution, how it starts off how? We the People... an important acknowledgment that it is WE that came forward to make a framework of governing that was in no way intended to become our Master and we do its bidding... we, through our representatives at this convention, did not feel it workable, nor did we want, to be a direct democracy. So, through debate and compromise, we gave our consent to be governed under this framework. A framework that was sold on its direct promise on limiting of the Federal Government.

    That promise is in breach and our consent to be governed can always, and legally, be withdrawn. We are the sovereigns, you see. You can deny it, but to deny implies a desire to be a slave with the government our master.

    Where do you arrive at 51% of the vote not deciding anything? Out of 68 million votes in the election of 1960, Kennedy won by a mere 120K, so 50+% wins plenty in this country. 49% wins noting except perhaps a runoff in some cases. My god, how many times must this be repeated: there is a specific amendment [13th]regarding the abolition of slavery... your use of this as an explanation tied to the 14th and the push for gay marriage is comical. There is NO AMENDMENT REQUIRING SSM. Period.

    Same sex marriage bans are not prohibited under the 14th... you may well get a bogus ruling under the SC saying so, but the 14th intended none of that, provides for nothing of that... and all those mumbo-jumbo contortions created by the court system itself do not make it so. It is only the structure they themselves have created out of whole cloth, with no specific guidance from anything that can be even vaguely alluded to in the Constitution or the 14 specifically, that arrives us at this pathetic point in our history.

    Equal protections were extended only to life, limb and property... again, nothing about marriage rights was intended, mentioned nor sanctioned in the 14th. While its application is not specified and accommodations must be made for this, bit the amendment's scope was not limitless in all directions either. The court cannot, is not in its job description to just make up what it wants, that is the job of the law makers... not the court's job. The fact that they have gotten away with it, that is just the normal course of business, subverting the Constitution is something that needs be stopped, whether you and your colleagues recognize this tyranny or not. Their job is to rule whether something is Constitutional or not, based on the Constitution, the extent to which something is or is not...and of course to settle disputes.

    The Supreme Court, just as with the entire apparatus of the Federal government, needs to be reined back in. They have overstepped their Constitutional bounds.

    You will no doubt disagree, but you have no rational basis, except for the habit of just going along with whatever they choose to do, never giving it much of another thought. That is not really how it is supposed to work in a representative democracy, the citizenry is supposed to be awake, alert to incursions on its rights.
    thats a nice long post that says nothing since the fed didnt over step its bounds but the state did, the state infringed on THE PEOPLES rights so the fed stepped in and protected WE the peoples rights
    if you disagree simply prove the facts,laws, rights and court cases wrong lol
    nice try, but it fooled nobody educated and honest, your post fails again
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  2. #1072
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    Re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    What exactly do you perceive the 14th amendment to do? It doesn't specifically name anything at all, so it does nothing?
    I just explained it up there...

    "No discrimination shall be made by any state, nor by the United States, as to the civil rights of persons because of race, color, or previous condition of servitude."

    You see, we had just had this Civil War thing, it was kind of a big deal, and we had all these multitudes, about 4 million or about 10+% of the total population, of these former people wandering around in legal limbo, who had not been recognized as citizens, you see... and so this was something done to rectify that situation, give them official recognition and guarantee them all the rights then accorded to fellow citizens of the US of A.
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  3. #1073
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    Re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    Reading comprehension issues? I was talking about your posts, as I do not know you, but nice misrepresentation as usual.
    No, I was talking about my posts too... so, reading comprehension issues? Stop dodging and start answering the questions/giving your example, how about, eh?
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  4. #1074
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    I would love to know why ANY marriage is recognized by the state??? oh yeah because our government wants tax money.

  5. #1075
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    If gays had not wasted all this time pushing for marriage rights they would have had full civil union laws in place now.
    I doubt it since most of the state amendments banning same sex couples from getting married, ban any same sex unions at all. So I'd say you are wrong. Plus, the fact that there has never been any bill ever introduced on a federal level to recognize same sex unions or any unions at all other than marriage.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #1076
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by WorldWatcher View Post
    Ahhhh - so now Civil Unions are OK. See a decade ago as these were debated even Civil Unions were a No-No and that door was slamed closed. Quite a few states banned Civil Unions as well as marriage equality.

    Like the state I live in, Virginia:

    "Section 15-A. Marriage.

    That only a union between one man and one woman may be a marriage valid in or recognized by this Commonwealth and its political subdivisions. This Commonwealth and its political subdivisions shall not create or recognize a legal status for relationships of unmarried individuals that intends to approximate the design, qualities, significance, or effects of marriage. Nor shall this Commonwealth or its political subdivisions create or recognize another union, partnership, or other legal status to which is assigned the rights, benefits, obligations, qualities, or effects of marriage."


    Funny how Civil Unions in the early 2000's were not a compromise to be considered when opponents of SSCM were in the majority. Now though that they have lost in the courts, lost in the legislatures, lost in the polls, and bagain losing in ballot during General Elections - suddenly - "Oh, Civil Unions should work."

    And many who now claim to support the concept of "separate but equal" are mostly the very people that voted against it a decade ago.




    >>>>
    In NC in 2012 all same sex unions were banned, not just marriages, so it is just plain wrong for anyone to try to argue that most would be for something other than marriage. They aren't.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #1077
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    I'm talking about a fed civil union law not one single state.
    And there has never been even a proposed federal act/law/bill to recognize any unions other than marriage, for same sex couples or any couples. Why push for something less, even if just in the fact that they are using different words to try to "exclude" same sex couples from marriage when the laws discriminate and can be overturned? It has already been proven that the laws violate the Constitution, particularly federal laws that do not recognize same sex couples as married, hence why most of DOMA was struck down last summer by the SCOTUS.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #1078
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    If a civil union law was put forth that gave all the rights of marriage you would still be against it. I and many others would embrace it because we actually want gays to have equal rights under the law whereas people like you just want to make a social statement.
    I would be because it would be like someone saying that they cannot share a word with others for no real reason except personal bias, personal beliefs against those other couples. It would be a waste of time and money to do such a thing.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #1079
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    I just explained it up there...

    "No discrimination shall be made by any state, nor by the United States, as to the civil rights of persons because of race, color, or previous condition of servitude."

    You see, we had just had this Civil War thing, it was kind of a big deal, and we had all these multitudes, about 4 million or about 10+% of the total population, of these former people wandering around in legal limbo, who had not been recognized as citizens, you see... and so this was something done to rectify that situation, give them official recognition and guarantee them all the rights then accorded to fellow citizens of the US of A.
    That is not the Equal Protection Clause. The EPC does not mention anything about race or color at all.

    The Equal Protection Clause is located at the end of Section 1 of the Fourteenth Amendment:

    All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

    That is the EPC. The thing you quoted is not the Amendment itself so it has no real bearing on the relevant portion of the Amendment being used to strike down the laws. You don't get to claim that if something isn't written in the Constitution, then it shouldn't apply then try to apply something that is not written in that particular part of the Amendment being used.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #1080
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I would love to know why ANY marriage is recognized by the state??? oh yeah because our government wants tax money.
    Because the people want them to be recognized because the government recognizes other legal relationships.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •