Page 10 of 116 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 1157

Thread: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

  1. #91
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    What BS? Oh you mean actually wanting to debate the substance of the ruling this thread is about instead of the infantile rejection of all judicial authority in the realm of Constitutional rights? Indy files. I will work on that.
    Claiming that a 'benevolent tyrant' is a superior means of governance is, in fact, BS.

    Get some real support for your argument.

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    No, it's limiting government's authority to define that domain. It's a private contract between two people.
    No, it's not. This whole issue is about a government contract and government benefits.

  3. #93
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I thought it was at least the equal of your "Yes...and so...what?? "
    See, that seems to be when you get into the most trouble.

    I think any objective observer might look at post #17 and deduce a bit more than just a "Yes... and so... what??". Not that that can be said about your noticeably skeletal and facile riposte. The retort is, however, well within character.
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  4. #94
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,569

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    You are aware the two were both questions... so why not make your point?

    You get to answer them the way you want, I answer them the way I want... pretty simple. We only differ in that you think imposing your belief on how all this should turn out is somehow not discriminating against an entire group of people that are not in synch with what you want to impose as the new norm. How that escapes you I am unable to discern.
    You are aware the two were both questions... so why not make your point?
    One does not usually answer a rhetorical question because it is understood [by most] that the rhetorical question acts as a statement.

    Your second error is assuming I wish to impose my beliefs on anyone. I have no power to impose my will on anyone. If I agree with the Constitutional reasoning used to end marriage bans...that has nothing to do with my "incorrectly precieved" imposition of my beliefs.
    Last edited by 1750Texan; 03-22-14 at 01:24 PM.


  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No, it's not. This whole issue is about a government contract and government benefits.
    Funny people like you never rallied against government being involved with marriage until ssm. Wonder why that is?

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Funny people like you never rallied against government being involved with marriage until ssm. Wonder why that is?
    Because I'm not that old.

  7. #97
    Sage
    Ontologuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    5,516

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    A gender-based classification is subject to equal protection challenges. This isn't an issue of semantics, no matter how much you insist it is. "Dog" and "cat" aren't protected classifications under the equal protection clause. Certain characteristics of humans are protected from unequal treatment, and gender is one such classification. Defining marriage at the government level as between one man and one woman is a gender-based distinction. How you, Ontologuy, personally want to perceive the word is irrelevant to the discussion. The legal distinctions are the subject.

    Your ignorance of the mechanics of equal protection is something you should really address before making the sort of statements you make.
    Your projected ignorance of the matter is simply that.

    Calling something a "gender-based" issue does not in any way make the issue subject to the equal protection clause.

    The issue itself must be truly gender-based. This issue is not gender based.

    Both the male and female genders have every right to be married, thus there is no gender discrimination in the matter.

    That marriage is between a man and a woman as husband and wife is constitutionally acceptable, allowing both genders to participate, without bias.

    Your erroneous application of gender-based would allow a woman to enter the men's locker room, strip, and take a show with the men, against gym rules .. or vice versa. For the sake of social propriety, there is nothing in the constitution that forbids the gym from creating these rules, banning any member who violates them.

    If a woman/man who enters the opposite gender shower finds another of the opposite sex there who doesn't mind, or in fact encourages it, in no way constitutes a valid constitutional appeal to the gym's rule; just because a relative few are okay with the violation does in no way validate the violation, much less make the matter a "gender-based" issue.

    That you lament my accurate dog/cat analogy is because again, it is an accurate commonly understood presentation that illustrates the oxymoronic "gay-marriage" violation of both definitive and social propriety, which, of course, flies in the face of your erroneous take on the matter.

    Your concern of understanding "equal protection" is not at issue here.

    What's at issue here is grasping when application of "equal protection" is not appropriate .. or, in your case, contrived for the sake of ideological gain at the expense of both definitive and social propriety.

    Your attempt to apply the equal protection clause via appeal to "gender based" is rightly rejected.
    You don't trust Trump? Well, there's only one way to leverage him to do what's economically right for us all: Powerful American Political Alliance. Got courage?! .. and a mere $5.00?

  8. #98
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    This judge was truly respectful in commenting on the majority and their intentions...which you would know had you read the ruling.
    Not only that but allowed the state to present several witnesses, dragging the case on. It's just those "expert" witnesses were never credible, hence this outcome.

    But rest easy, first marriages have taken place already, in spite of the villain AG's attempt to stay the ruling: First gay couple married in Michigan

    "Glenna DeJong, 53, and Marsha Caspar, 52, both of Lansing, were married in the lobby after Byrum opened the clerk's office at 8 a.m. and issued them a license."

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Because I'm not that old.
    So you were born after the first SSM?

  10. #100
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,569

    re: Judge strikes down Michigan's ban on gay marriage[W:95]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    If that was the goal then people would be arguing that all private contracts pertaining to marriage between consenting parties must be respected by all fifty states. What is actually happening is people are arguing for extending government authority in marriage by expanding its domain to another form of relationship between two individuals. People are not arguing for freedom, but simply for government authority.
    That is incorrect...because governmental authority over marriage already exists.

    The degree of that authority would propotional over all married couples. Not one degree of authority over one lawful group versus separate and different degree of authority over another lawful group.

    Authority over married couples is an irrelevant arguement.


Page 10 of 116 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •