Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
Results 181 to 188 of 188

Thread: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Hatuey - you have made it abundantly clear that humans - in general - have absolutely no responsibility for their actions and that there is always some outside force that dictates your misfortunes and that others should be forced to compensate financially while you lead an insane life -- you're a progressive golden child! the progressive evils did a perfect mold with you.

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    "(03-21) 12:01 PDT OAKLAND -- Oakland has agreed to pay $3.25 million to a woman who was severely injured after she hit a pothole and crashed on her bike.

    Dulcey Bower, 35, of Oakland was wearing a helmet while riding her bike on Aug. 7, 2011 when she slammed into a pothole on Mountain Boulevard between the on-ramp to Highway 13 and Ascot Drive........Bower's attorney Carter Zinn said, "We know that allocating such funds in a city with many worthy budgetary priorities is challenging. However, we feel the settlement was fair given her injuries, the dangerous state of the road at the time of the accident and the fact that dozens of citizens had complained about how dangerous the condition was for years before this accident occurred.""

    Oakland to pay $3.25 million over bike crash - SFGate

    Assuming the chimp case plaintiff's claims are true, they have a better case against the state than this bicyclist did. In the pothole case the city could reasonably claim that they did not have the resources to fix every pothole and that bicyclists know to watch for potholes. In the chimp case I doubt they can make such a claim without a very good reason for not enforcing a violation of the law that they knew about.

  3. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    "(03-21) 12:01 PDT OAKLAND -- Oakland has agreed to pay $3.25 million to a woman who was severely injured after she hit a pothole and crashed on her bike.

    Dulcey Bower, 35, of Oakland was wearing a helmet while riding her bike on Aug. 7, 2011 when she slammed into a pothole on Mountain Boulevard between the on-ramp to Highway 13 and Ascot Drive........Bower's attorney Carter Zinn said, "We know that allocating such funds in a city with many worthy budgetary priorities is challenging. However, we feel the settlement was fair given her injuries, the dangerous state of the road at the time of the accident and the fact that dozens of citizens had complained about how dangerous the condition was for years before this accident occurred.""

    Oakland to pay $3.25 million over bike crash - SFGate

    Assuming the chimp case plaintiff's claims are true, they have a better case against the state than this bicyclist did. In the pothole case the city could reasonably claim that they did not have the resources to fix every pothole and that bicyclists know to watch for potholes. In the chimp case I doubt they can make such a claim without a very good reason for not enforcing a violation of the law that they knew about.
    The city put the pothole in - they never gave anyone a chimp.

    IMO, that pothole case was frivolous anyways....

  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    The city put the pothole in - they never gave anyone a chimp.

    IMO, that pothole case was frivolous anyways....
    I always thought potholes just happen, I didn't know cities install them. Why do they do that?

    Your opinion of the pothole case doesn't reflect what the City Attorneys and City Council thought when they decided to do a settlement rather than go to trial.

  5. #185
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,954

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    ignored or wasn't timely?
    The 3 quotes I posted showed over a period of time. There were multiple incidents with the animal...one in which it escaped, police captured it...*and returned it to the home.*
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #186
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,954

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Well lets just have home inspections to make sure we don't have anything the government doesn't allow us adults, er I mean kids to have.

    We need to be safe right?
    The govt knew of the animal...where it lived and had a record of dangerous incidents. No home inspection needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #187
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,954

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Really there is nothing authoritarian about regulating?

    Your twisted logic is so entertaining.
    The chimp escaped once...how about if it escaped again and ripped your kid's arms off? Is regulating dangerous animals ok?

    Kind of like regulating traffic...it's for public safety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #188
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,954

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Del Zeppnile View Post
    Already answered, the new law would be retroactive. Retroactive laws would require additional consideration by the state in order to avoid civil liability. Where I used to live I had a wood shingle roof. Over several decades the local government decided that wood shingle roofs in my area were too much of a fire hazard and they made them illegal. Which meant that they could not be put on new houses or new additions and any re-roof would have to be made out of fire-proof materials. However the local government could not force me to change my existing roof before it was time for me to re-roof. To do so would have caused me undue financial injury. So for the time being, my roof was "grandfathered in" even though it was no longer considered a safe roof. Which means I assumed the risk, same with the owner of the chimp.



    Most of the time the government does selective enforcement. Not really with murder, but certainly with lesser crimes or infractions. A good example would be someone exceeding the speed limit while driving. Certainly there is a vehicle code violation for speeding, and certainly many people are stopped and ticketed for this dangerous driving. But is it your contention that the police have to stop every speeder and give them a citation? Does the state even have the resources do that? And when a cop sees a guy speeding but may have other pending calls to attend to; if the cop doesn't stop the speeder and the speeder injures someone, do you believe that liability is now transferred to the state?

    It just doesn't work that way.
    The animal was not covered under any 'grandfather clause.' The state left a known dangerous animal in an insecure residence.

    And your examples dont cover this, there are many times when a govt can force you to upgrade or make changes according to new laws. Like forcing people to put in more effiicient woodstoves or pay for sewer lines when they already have septic systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •