Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 188

Thread: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

  1. #161
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,622

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The woman broke the law and the state ignored its own laws, procedures and statutes. You're showing your ignorance.
    ignored or wasn't timely?



  2. #162
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,023

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    ignored or wasn't timely?
    6 years of warnings, incidents and failure to follow the laws, make a guess?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #163
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    It's funny because progressives are usually against suing the state - their mommies and daddies.

    Do progressives ever blame the individual for their own actions?

    Oh yeah in this case we have a government that wasn't authoritarian enough and a f-ing idiot that thought a Chimp was her best friend because she was all into that animal loving feel-good progressive nature-loving ****.

    Does it take this case to assert that playing with chimps or other non domesticated animals is ****ing dumb?

  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    06-24-16 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,073

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Someone else who didn't read the case. The state actually knew where the animal was, created a law against such animals and still allowed its owners to keep it.
    The animal was the woman's property. She had owned this property before the state created a law forbidding the ownership of this type of property. Any subsequent law which affected her property would be a retroactive law, and the state may not have had any authority to deprive her of her property anyway without compensation.

    Are you suggesting that the state has the right to create new laws which can deprive citizens of their property?

    You aren't Governor Cuomo are you?



    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    In essence, the state REFUSED to follow the laws it set for itself. Suing CT in this case is no different than suing the federal government not doing its job and enforcing immigration law. [bold mine]

    Yeah, how is that lawsuit going?

  5. #165
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,023

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Del Zeppnile View Post
    The animal was the woman's property. She had owned this property before the state created a law forbidding the ownership of this type of property.
    1) Deprivation of such type of property has precedent in the US as on its own it is capable of seriously injuring humans. It's not a gun or a car which require humans in order to cause injury. This is why there are federal and state laws restricting the importation of such animals.
    2) Keeping a wild animal required a permit and appropriate confining measures to ensure the safety of the general public.
    3) None of which were obtained/enforced by either the owners or the state.

    This leaves us with a few options:

    1) You're being dishonest by posting Washington State wild animal laws which have NOTHING to do with this case
    2) You're being ignorant of how laws in the US work.
    3) You believe that requiring a permit for living beings is a deprivation of said property which in and of itself is laughable as deprivation of living property (humans, animals, plants etc) has precedent in this country - ESPECIALLY - when there is a risk of injury to either the property, the general public or the owners.

    Yeah, how is that lawsuit going?
    It hasn't been blocked on carry overs from British law...

    Arizona, Kansas sue federal government to enforce voter registration laws | TheHill
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    1) Deprivation of such type of property has precedent in the US as on its own it is capable of seriously injuring humans. It's not a gun or a car which require humans in order to cause injury. This is why there are federal and state laws restricting the importation of such animals.
    2) Keeping a wild animal required a permit and appropriate confining measures to ensure the safety of the general public.
    3) None of which were obtained/enforced by either the owners or the state.

    This leaves us with a few options:

    1) You're being dishonest by posting Washington State wild animal laws which have NOTHING to do with this case
    2) You're being ignorant of how laws in the US work.
    3) You believe that requiring a permit for living beings is a deprivation of said property which in and of itself is laughable as deprivation of living property (humans, animals, plants etc) has precedent in this country - ESPECIALLY - when there is a risk of injury to either the property, the general public or the owners.



    It hasn't been blocked on carry overs from British law...

    Arizona, Kansas sue federal government to enforce voter registration laws | TheHill
    Using your logic anyone who is murdered or even injured with "illegal" anything can sue the state given the notion that the state wasn't AUTHORITARIAN enough to prevent such actions.

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Using your logic anyone who is murdered or even injured with "illegal" anything can sue the state given the notion that the state wasn't AUTHORITARIAN enough to prevent such actions.
    Thats the common reprieve of statist liberals. Give the govt your freedom and everything will be rosy.

  8. #168
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,023

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Using your logic anyone who is murdered or even injured with "illegal" anything can sue the state given the notion that the state wasn't AUTHORITARIAN enough to prevent such actions.
    Actually, if the state created a law centered around past incidents with that exact same property, ignored suggestions from experts and refused to enforce its own laws? Sure. It should be sued. It'd be no different than the state refusing to enforce laws against murder, theft, etc. You know, for a Libertarian, you miss out the point of a state a lot.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #169
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Actually, if the state created a law centered around past incidents with that exact same property, ignored suggestions from experts and refused to enforce its own laws? Sure. It should be sued. It'd be no different than the state refusing to enforce laws against murder, theft, etc. You know, for a Libertarian, you miss out the point of a state a lot.
    Yeah, sued for not being authoritarian enough?

    Maybe we need to raid everyones homes and properties to make sure they have nothing that could potentially harm them or others?

    You know - if they have something that can harm another it's the states fault for not being "Stalin enough."

  10. #170
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,023

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Yeah, sued for not being authoritarian enough?
    Sued for not enforcing its own laws. Nothing authoritarian about regulating "property" capable of ripping a grown man's arms off,
    harboring dangerous diseases, destroying another man's property etc.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •