Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 188

Thread: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

  1. #141
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,782

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Del Zeppnile View Post
    The victim not realizing that a 200lb male chimpanzee was dangerous is HER PROBLEM, it goes beyond any test for reasonableness. We cannot protect people who are that stupid. Many people don't realize that the ocean is dangerous; hundreds of people drown every year in the ocean surf because they don't realize that NATURE can kill them.
    btw, if the chimp had escaped *again* (since it already had once and the state knew about it) and done this to someone...would the state be responsible for that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #142
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    06-24-16 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,073

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    It was a pet in the home. A home she was invited into. A home where the state knew a dangerous animal resided, even if the victim didnt.

    Where is the quote implying she was aware of any danger that you claimed you had?
    It is not my job to explain everything to you, take the time to look up the details of what occured when the woman was injured. She was a friend of the chimp's owner who had been to the house before. The animal's owner called the victim on the phone to come over and help her with the angry chimpanzee. The victim was not a person who just went to the house not knowing there was an adult male chimpanzee there. This is not a case of the victim being surprised to find out that animal was there, she knew it was there.

    You are trying to prove that the victim was not aware that adult chimpanzees were dangerous---- that is her problem. It's like someone pointing a gun at their own head and claiming they did not know that was dangerous.

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    06-24-16 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,073

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    btw, if the chimp had escaped *again* (since it already had once and the state knew about it) and done this to someone...would the state be responsible for that?
    The state allows people who had prior DUI convictions to get their drivers license restated, show me where the state is held liable for future bad acts by individuals?

  4. #144
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,782

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Del Zeppnile View Post
    It is not my job to explain everything to you, take the time to look up the details of what occured when the woman was injured. She was a friend of the chimp's owner who had been to the house before. The animal's owner called the victim on the phone to come over and help her with the angry chimpanzee. The victim was not a person who just went to the house not knowing there was an adult male chimpanzee there. This is not a case of the victim being surprised to find out that animal was there, she knew it was there.

    You are trying to prove that the victim was not aware that adult chimpanzees were dangerous---- that is her problem. It's like someone pointing a gun at their own head and claiming they did not know that was dangerous.

    LOLOLOL Oh, ok. So I'll take your word for it. Right.

    It would have supported your claim the victim knew the pet was dangerous. (Not proven, but supported). Oh well.

    And as I pointed out, most people are not aware that TAME adult chimps (such as a pet in the home) are dangerous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #145
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,782

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Del Zeppnile View Post
    The state allows people who had prior DUI convictions to get their drivers license restated, show me where the state is held liable for future bad acts by individuals?
    The state is not to be held liable for negligence in enforcing its own laws. Interesting.

    And yes, sometimes the 'state' can be held liable for people with prior DUI convictions who get their license's reinstated who do harm again.

    Here is an example of a suit recently filed:
    Family files $45M claim against Seattle in fatal Wedgwood crash | Local News | The Seattle Times

    The city will settle I'm sure but they will have to accept liability. Over the course of the year and investigation, they admitted they were negligent in following up with the driver. All the new policies they are attempting to institute are also evidence that they recognize their error...and hoped to prevent a lawsuit (unsuccessfully, obviously).


    Case in point: Multiple DUI driver recently received reinstated license. Driver then wiped out family of 4....killed both grandparents and nearly killed mother and 10 day old baby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #146
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,782

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    btw, if the chimp had escaped *again* (since it already had once and the state knew about it) and done this to someone...would the state be responsible for that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Zeppnile View Post
    The state allows people who had prior DUI convictions to get their drivers license restated, show me where the state is held liable for future bad acts by individuals?

    LOL, that's like saying that if the state knew about the whereabouts of an escaped convict and did nothing to take it in, they wouldnt be liable for any harm the escapee did while free.

    Oh...you probably think that's ok too, right? Just let the dangerous criminal remain shacked up with his girfriend, knowing he's there, not worry about it. And when he rapes a friend visiting, the state's not responsible for that either?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #147
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,023

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    It's kind of weird to see right wingers arguing that government shouldn't be held liable for its incompetence...
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #148
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,944

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    LOL

    You have no idea how that law works. Many states declare restrictions on or complete bans on exotic animals. I posted 3 quotes from the state that showed they had identified the animal as dangerous...and needed to remove it...and didnt. (Whether the owner liked it or not) The state, under THEIR LAWS, had an obligation to public safety and even said so in the article and in the quotes I posted.

    Try to keep up.
    And Ive already quoted a source that the Supreme Court ruled that law enforcement does not have an obligation to protect you in a previous reply.

    Looks like youre the one who needs to keep up.

  9. #149
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,782

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by PoS View Post
    And Ive already quoted a source that the Supreme Court ruled that law enforcement does not have an obligation to protect you in a previous reply.

    Looks like youre the one who needs to keep up.
    That's cops.

    This is a law that denies ownership of dangerous animals and the state IS responsible for enforcing that law. The state specifically created the law to protect the public. Duh....

    And in this case, the state identified the animal as dangerous. And had the legal duty to remove the animal to protect the public. And was negligent in doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  10. #150
    Minister of Love
    PoS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oceania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,944

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    That's cops.

    This is a law that denies ownership of dangerous animals and the state IS responsible for enforcing that law. The state specifically created the law to protect the public. Duh....

    And in this case, the state identified the animal as dangerous. And had the legal duty to remove the animal to protect the public. And was negligent in doing so.
    There must be probable cause to remove the animal, the cops and animal control didnt see it that way since the chimp wasnt a danger before so no the state isnt responsible.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •