Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 188

Thread: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

  1. #91
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    If it's even close to the states fault then we must have a guard in every home in the United States so no crazy chimps go nuts - you know just to be safe.
    You really are on the ball! You are a sharp one! Truly amazing.

    Because we all know there is a chimp in every home in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #92
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    No, but I know that accidents happen, and by taking my vehicle out of my garage I am exposing myself to these risks. Welcome to earth.
    And when you drive that vehicle over a bridge that the state has labelled unsafe but not yet fixed (and there are hundreds in many states)...will you just eat the car insurance and medical bills (if you survive) and just forget about your kids that drowned? Or expect the state to be held accountable?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  3. #93
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Let's get some apples, oh wait we're talking oranges here. MY BAD.
    How are they different? Please explain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #94
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,632
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    I can't really decide on this matter without knowing a heck of a lot more facts (I haven't read the entire thread... sorry if this is redundant). First, did the state allow the chimp to be kept as a pet legally? If not, not the state's problem unless someone can prove that the state was informed about the illegal pet, and did nothing.

    If the chimp was kept legally and the state knew about it, was there an oversight board to establish proper permits and routine inspections? If so, was that oversight agency neglectful in its duties, and did that neglect lead to the incident? If there was no such oversight agency, does the lack of one make the state liable?

    It's obvious to me that lots of officials, including the local police, were aware of this animal and were aware the animal's owner had been unable to properly contain it in the past. That doesn't necessarily make them liable, though. The victim was also aware of this animal, the danger it posed and the fact that the animal's owner could not properly contain it, and she willingly put herself at risk.

    It's a gut-wrenching case because her injuries were so horrific. But lots of people suffer horrific injuries without being able to make the state taxpayers compensate them for those injuries. As bad as I feel for her, my immediate response is that the state would not be liable. However, we'll see where this goes in the future.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    And when you drive that vehicle over a bridge that the state has labelled unsafe but not yet fixed (and there are hundreds in many states)...will you just eat the car insurance and medical bills (if you survive) and just forget about your kids that drowned? Or expect the state to be held accountable?
    Thats a poor analogy. This person went to a persons home that she knew had an unsafe wild animal. And now she's not suing him, she's going after the deep pockets. As I stated earlier in this thread, the govt does have a general duty to protect people, but not a specific one.

  6. #96
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Thats a poor analogy. This person went to a persons home that she knew had an unsafe wild animal. And now she's not suing him, she's going after the deep pockets. As I stated earlier in this thread, the govt does have a general duty to protect people, but not a specific one.
    No....please show that she knew the animal was unsafe. It was a beloved pet. That is what she 'knew'. At least that it was a pet...it lived in the home and it was not restrained. SHe visited a friend's home. A friend that had no idea the animal would act that way. If the OWNER didnt even guess the animal would react like that, why should a guest?

    And you are not reading very well...it was a woman that owned the chimp...it lived with her like a child. Again...beloved pet. And she HAS been held liable legally and financially as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    No....please show that she knew the animal was unsafe. It was a beloved pet. That is what she 'knew'. At least that it was a pet...it lived in the home and it was not restrained. SHe visited a friend's home. A friend that had no idea the animal would act that way. If the OWNER didnt even guess the animal would react like that, why should a guest?

    And you are not reading very well...it was a woman that owned the chimp...it lived with her like a child. Again...beloved pet. And she HAS been held liable legally and financially as well.
    Do you not understand that a chimp is a wild animal?

  8. #98
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Do you not understand that a chimp is a wild animal?
    No....it is a pet. It was not a domesticated animal but it was not a 'wild' animal. It was 'tame.' It lived in a home. It ATE AT THE TABLE with its owner.

    Did the owner not understand the implications of keeping an uncut (assumption here) adult male chimp? Is SHE not the one who is responsible for allowing such an animal to be unrestrained around guests in her house?

    If you went to a friend's home and their dog was loose in the house....would you leave? Or assume it was safe? Because a domesticated dog can also attack, with no warning. And it does happen. In that case, the state would not be liable because dogs are not illegally kept exotic animals but if the state had previous knowlege/reports of attacks by the animal and did nothing...would they have any accountability in your death?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    No....it is a pet.
    I think we found the problem.

  10. #100
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: Connecticut chimp attack victim seeks right to sue state

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    I think we found the problem.
    Who's problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •