Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 190

Thread: Fred Phelps Dead

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Fred Phelps Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    The real hypocrisy lies in how the left leaning news is covering his death. Every left rag on the Internet, Nation, Huffo Puffo, the Beast, Daily Kos etc. to the MSM,( ABC, NBC, CBS,) NEVER mention Phelp's long ties to the Democrat party but instead refer to him as a "conservative" because of the church he started which is mainly made up of his own family members and has no affiliation with any Baptist organizations. NOT ONE has brought up his history as an activist for the Democrat party for decades.
    They refer to him as a conservative because HE WAS ONE. Sorry but his views on gays certainly wasn't a liberal view.

    Now, that isn't to say EVERY conservative thinks like he did, most do not. However, his views on gays was certainly hard-core right conservative.

  2. #122
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,335

    Re: Fred Phelps Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    The facts remain, Fred Phelps was a registered Democrat the day he took his last breath. He ran for offices on the Democrat ticket including mayor, governor and senator multiple times. He campaigned for Bill Clinton and Al Gore and was invited to their inaugural balls not once but twice. The first time he went to celebrate with them, the second time he went to protest because Gore and Clinton's views on gay rights had changed from what they held originally. For decades, Phelps helped to get Democrats elected not just by his involvement in national campaigns but has a very long history of working to get local politicians elected until he became "controversial" over gay rights, and protesting soldiers funerals. Then no Democrat politician wanted him near them.

    The real hypocrisy lies in how the left leaning news is covering his death. Every left rag on the Internet, Nation, Huffo Puffo, the Beast, Daily Kos etc. to the MSM,( ABC, NBC, CBS,) NEVER mention Phelp's long ties to the Democrat party but instead refer to him as a "conservative" because of the church he started which is mainly made up of his own family members and has no affiliation with any Baptist organizations. NOT ONE has brought up his history as an activist for the Democrat party for decades.
    Good morning, Vesper!

    Thank you for posting this! The truth should be known about this sicko!

  3. #123
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,840

    Re: Fred Phelps Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    They refer to him as a conservative because HE WAS ONE. Sorry but his views on gays certainly wasn't a liberal view.

    Now, that isn't to say EVERY conservative thinks like he did, most do not. However, his views on gays was certainly hard-core right conservative.
    You still didn't address the blatant choice of the media not to mention he was a Democrat and falsely paint him as belonging to the opposing party by the use of the word "conservative" which goes to the point that that not all Democrats are created equal and also hold the same views as Phelps toward gay relationships.

  4. #124
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Fred Phelps Dead

    He never won any office. So appearently the demos rejected him. Good for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    You still didn't address the blatant choice of the media not to mention he was a Democrat and falsely paint him as belonging to the opposing party by the use of the word "conservative" which goes to the point that that not all Democrats are created equal and also hold the same views as Phelps toward gay relationships.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  5. #125
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: Fred Phelps Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    They refer to him as a conservative because HE WAS ONE. Sorry but his views on gays certainly wasn't a liberal view.

    Now, that isn't to say EVERY conservative thinks like he did, most do not. However, his views on gays was certainly hard-core right conservative.
    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    You still didn't address the blatant choice of the media not to mention he was a Democrat and falsely paint him as belonging to the opposing party by the use of the word "conservative" which goes to the point that that not all Democrats are created equal and also hold the same views as Phelps toward gay relationships.
    I wouldn't want to own him either.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  6. #126
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Fred Phelps Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Del Zeppnile View Post
    Like it or not, and I don't like it, but it is free speech. It was not an illegal act(ion).
    Never said it was, nice strawman. I stated that categorizing peoples problems with Phelps as simply based on things he said and not ACTIONS is incorrect. ACTIONS he took and that he had his church take are part of why people dislike him, not just the things he says.

  7. #127
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,937

    Re: Fred Phelps Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    They refer to him as a conservative because HE WAS ONE. Sorry but his views on gays certainly wasn't a liberal view.

    Now, that isn't to say EVERY conservative thinks like he did, most do not. However, his views on gays was certainly hard-core right conservative.
    However, to be fair....labeling him, a NON POLITICAL FIGURE, as any particular political alignment is basically invoking a reverse Godwin rule. With Godwin, you attempt to tie a subject to something with a strong negative emotional response in hopes of "winning" the argument. Here, they're basically attempting to tie the person with a strong negative emotional response to something else for seemingly no legitimate reason.

    What does his political lean, if any, matter to the story? Was he a routine advocate for conservative candidates? Routinely pushed broadly for conservative causes. Or was he singularly typically focused on a single issue, and would be better referred to as "Anti-gay" than "Conservative" since the latter is a far broader and wider ranging term?

    There is zero legitimate reason to talk about a theorized political bend in stories regarding his death OTHER than in an attempt to tie the two things together in hopes to smear for those in the masses uneducated or unnuanced enough to comprehend how wildly outside of any political norms of either side Fred was.

  8. #128
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Fred Phelps Dead

    He was a Boy Scout too, and I have never heard the press mention that. I think the guy was just so far out of everyone's idea of normal limits It is really not right to pretend he was of any normal political party.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  9. #129
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Fred Phelps Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Says who? Prove it.
    I'd be inclined to agree with Ikari on this to a point. Most if not all were loved by someone, and there is usually some reason for that. People are complex and seldom what fiction calls flat characters. There is usually good and bad in all of us.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #130
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Fred Phelps Dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Del Zeppnile View Post
    Like it or not, and I don't like it, but it is free speech. It was not an illegal act(ion).
    True. But after seeing his actions and hearing his poison, the how he did has made me reconsider some of this. Perhaps we should have a few more limits. Not what he said, as vile as it is, but the venue in which in can be said. I find no rational that says allow this near a funeral when the dead person is the target and the family he ones abused.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •