Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 188

Thread: US, Russia exchange threats at tense UN meeting

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: US, Russia exchange threats at tense UN meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And, the more backing down we do, the bolder Putin will get.
    No one is backing down, and no one is purposing that we back down.

    You are right in the sense that we have to respond in a way that let's Putin know that there will be consequences for what happened with Crimea. But we have to understand at the same time, why he did it. At the end of the day, there is no substantial change in terms of the power dynamics on a global level as a result of this. Therefore our response should be calibrated with that in mind.

  2. #22
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: US, Russia exchange threats at tense UN meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    No one is backing down, and no one is purposing that we back down.

    You are right in the sense that we have to respond in a way that let's Putin know that there will be consequences for what happened with Crimea. But we have to understand at the same time, why he did it. At the end of the day, there is no substantial change in terms of the power dynamics on a global level as a result of this. Therefore our response should be calibrated with that in mind.
    Obama's backing down every chance he gets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #23
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: US, Russia exchange threats at tense UN meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    And, the more backing down we do, the bolder Putin will get.
    I would think very true.

    It's remarkable to view how many see Russia as a power player on the World Stage. Outside of energy, Russia is an also ran. As a country, they amount to very little. This is all bluster by Putin, with nothing of substance to back up his play, other than some belief Russia today should be viewed in the same light as the USSR of yesterday.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: US, Russia exchange threats at tense UN meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    I would think very true.

    It's remarkable to view how many see Russia as a power player on the World Stage. Outside of energy, Russia is an also ran. As a country, they amount to very little. This is all bluster by Putin, with nothing of substance to back up his play, other than some belief Russia today should be viewed in the same light as the USSR of yesterday.
    I don't discount the threats of any country with nukes.
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  5. #25
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: US, Russia exchange threats at tense UN meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    I don't discount the threats of any country with nukes.
    Potentially becoming a new source for glass beads removes any threat from nukes. Russia has little to bargain with, other than Putin's effort to convince people it's still the USSR.

  6. #26
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: US, Russia exchange threats at tense UN meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    US, Russia exchange threats at tense UN meeting - The Washington Post



    Thus ends the "new thinking" of Gorbachev. In his speech to a joint session of parliament, Putin said that Ukraine was the line that the US should not have crossed.

    If these people are not careful, this may go down in history as the beginning of WWIII
    No it will not. Christ. We are nowhere close to a military confrontation with Russia. Even if we put troops on the Dnieper at the invitation of the Ukrainian government (as we should) we wouldn't be on the verge of World War III.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: US, Russia exchange threats at tense UN meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Obama's backing down every chance he gets.
    I think that it was being overly aggressive with our recent moves in Ukraine that got us to this point. So I don't agree with you.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: US, Russia exchange threats at tense UN meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    I would think very true.

    It's remarkable to view how many see Russia as a power player on the World Stage. Outside of energy, Russia is an also ran. As a country, they amount to very little. This is all bluster by Putin, with nothing of substance to back up his play, other than some belief Russia today should be viewed in the same light as the USSR of yesterday.
    It's certainly true that Russia is not as powerful as the USSR. However, it is incorrect to say that they are not a power player on the world stage. It's a big mistake to underestimate them in that way.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: US, Russia exchange threats at tense UN meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    No it will not. Christ. We are nowhere close to a military confrontation with Russia. Even if we put troops on the Dnieper at the invitation of the Ukrainian government (as we should) we wouldn't be on the verge of World War III.
    While I agree that we are nowhere close to a military confrontation with Russia, I do think that if tensions are not allowed to ease, both sides could start to implement foreign policy in a way that deteriorates trust and increases paranoia, thus creating the environment in which a war could be started. Therefore both sides should proceed with caution. The displays at that meeting were not a good sign at all.

  10. #30
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: US, Russia exchange threats at tense UN meeting

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    I don't discount the threats of any country with nukes.
    Putin isn't going to pop a nuke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •