Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Big Bang's Smoking Gun Found

  1. #1
    Advisor Midwest Lib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    513

    Big Bang's Smoking Gun Found

    http://news.discovery.com/space/astr...red-140317.htm

    For the first time, scientists have found direct evidence of the expansion of the universe, a previously theoretical event that took place a fraction of a second after the Big Bang explosion nearly 14 billion years ago.
    Gravitational waves, proposed by Albert Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity nearly 100 years ago but never before proven, are believed to have originated in the Big Bang explosion and then been amplified by the universe’s inflation.
    “This detection is cosmology’s missing link,” physicist Marc Kamionkowski, at Johns Hopkins University, told reporters during a webcast press conference on Monday.
    “It’s something that we thought should be there, but we weren’t really sure. It has been eagerly sought now for close to two decades,” he said.
    “These results are as extraordinary as they get, and they will require the most extraordinary scrutiny,” Kamionkowski said.
    “If these results hold up … then we’ve learned only that inflation has sent us a telegram, encoded on gravitational waves and transcribed on the cosmic microwave background sky. It will be essential in the years to come to follow through with more detailed and precise measurements to infer fully what this telegram is telling us,” he added.
    This is an absolutely astonishing discovery. This brings us one step closer to understanding the creation and expansion of the universe. It's important to mention, for those that are not knowledgable in physics to focus on the importance of the act of expansion and the relation of gravity to it, as opposed to picturing an explosion. It's easy to get caught up a bit in the misnomer "Big Bang" especially since it uses such descriptive (though inaccurate) words.

    Thoughts?
    Last edited by Midwest Lib; 03-18-14 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Suppose I need a link...

  2. #2
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    12-14-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    997

    Re: Big Bang's Smoking Gun Found

    "Something something something god"
    ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

  3. #3
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,361

    Re: Big Bang's Smoking Gun Found

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Lib View Post
    Big Bang's Smoking Gun Found : Discovery News







    This is an absolutely astonishing discovery. This brings us one step closer to understanding the creation and expansion of the universe. It's important to mention, for those that are not knowledgable in physics to focus on the importance of the act of expansion and the relation of gravity to it, as opposed to picturing an explosion. It's easy to get caught up a bit in the misnomer "Big Bang" especially since it uses such descriptive (though inaccurate) words.

    Thoughts?
    The trickiest part of this is that the expansion happened faster than the speed of light, something that is impossible unless the laws of the universe were not in place yet. Which indeed is the explanation.

  4. #4
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,272

    Re: Big Bang's Smoking Gun Found

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Lib View Post
    Big Bang's Smoking Gun Found : Discovery News


    This is an absolutely astonishing discovery. This brings us one step closer to understanding the creation and expansion of the universe. It's important to mention, for those that are not knowledgable in physics to focus on the importance of the act of expansion and the relation of gravity to it, as opposed to picturing an explosion. It's easy to get caught up a bit in the misnomer "Big Bang" especially since it uses such descriptive (though inaccurate) words.

    Thoughts?
    Yup ... good stuff.
    It's humbling.
    To me, things like this demonstrate how puny we are and how little we can control what will happen with or without us.
    Astonishing stuff.

  5. #5
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,272

    Re: Big Bang's Smoking Gun Found

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    The trickiest part of this is that the expansion happened faster than the speed of light, something that is impossible unless the laws of the universe were not in place yet. Which indeed is the explanation.
    Yeah.
    But it's not so much like an explosion but rather like a reaction among energy and matter in the expanse of space.

  6. #6
    Advisor Midwest Lib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    513

    Re: Big Bang's Smoking Gun Found

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Yeah.
    But it's not so much like an explosion but rather like a reaction among energy and matter in the expanse of space.
    It really is an unfortunate name.
    Fun fact : The term "Big Bang Theory" was originally coined by astronomer Fred Hoyle (a believer in a different brand of expansion), an opponent of Lemaitre's theory of expansion. Many found this name to be purposefully demeaning, though Hoyle denied it. Regardless, it confuses people to this day...

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,272

    Re: Big Bang's Smoking Gun Found

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Lib View Post
    It really is an unfortunate name.
    Fun fact : The term "Big Bang Theory" was originally coined by astronomer Fred Hoyle (a believer in a different brand of expansion), an opponent of Lemaitre's theory of expansion. Many found this name to be purposefully demeaning, though Hoyle denied it. Regardless, it confuses people to this day...
    The truly astonishing aspect is that it was "triggered" by a single subatomic particle.
    Simply amazing.

  8. #8
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,135
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Big Bang's Smoking Gun Found

    I actually keep pretty close tabs on this stuff and am amazed at how much we've learned about the origins of the universe and the laws which guide it.

    There is one thing that still seems a bit confusing. They claim that the static (white noise) that we hear on the radio is supposed to be the radiation left over from the big bang, but how could that be? Radiation is a form of light, which travels of course at the speed of light, so that radiation should have passed by us back when the big bang took place. How could we still be picking up radiation traveling at the speed of light from an event that took place 13.7 billion years ago. We sure as hell aren't traveling anywhere near fast enough to have out-paced it for this long.

  9. #9
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,343

    Re: Big Bang's Smoking Gun Found

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Yup ... good stuff.
    It's humbling.
    To me, things like this demonstrate how puny we are and how little we can control what will happen with or without us.
    Astonishing stuff.
    It does put a damper on how important we think we are in comparison to the rest of the universe, doesn't it? It's logical to imagine that we, as a species, might be considered "not very bright" by other dwellers in this universe when they look at how warlike we are. We evolved on a perfect planet that's "not too hot, and not too cold, but just right," to paraphrase Goldilocks. Maybe if we are given a lot more time, we could become better caretakers overall, but so far the odds are not in our favor, and I don't see them improving, human nature being what it is!

    Greetings, bubba.

  10. #10
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,664

    Re: Big Bang's Smoking Gun Found

    “If these results hold up … then we’ve learned only that inflation has sent us a telegram, encoded on gravitational waves and transcribed on the cosmic microwave background sky. It will be essential in the years to come to follow through with more detailed and precise measurements to infer fully what this telegram is telling us,” he added.
    If those high-fallutin', smartypants scientist's are so cottonpickin' smart, why are they communicatin' through a telegram? Why not just email it? Text?


    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •