Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 319

Thread: Pro-Life High School Group Says Principal Banned Them From Using Life-Sized Fetus

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Pro-Life High School Group Says Principal Banned Them From Using Life-Sized Fetus

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Well in his world if you're not pro-choice, you have nothing to say about the issue, certainly nothing factual..........and therefore should just stifle yourself. Let the government determine what's factual, because in a moderate world the govt is always right.
    He's no moderate. We have extensive arguments on DP about how people lie about leans.

    He (and most others) do not share the opinions of Voltaire, who may not agree with what you say but will defend your right to say it "to the death". I've never smoked a cigarette in my life, and I got pissed about the extensive smoking bans in many of the big cities, along with the wildly excessive Pigouvian taxes involved with them.

    Libertarians defend rights - even rights they don't share personally. Liberty isn't for those you agree with.

  2. #132
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Pro-Life High School Group Says Principal Banned Them From Using Life-Sized Fetus

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    The supreme court has ruled numerous times that students do not give up their 1st amendment rights when they walk into school. Schools can only limit speech when it comes to if it is going to cause a classroom disruption (which at lunch it isn't) or they can prove that it will cause physical harm.

    i can understand this principle but he overstepped his bounds. according to the supreme court just because something might be controversial doesn't mean that you can limit the speech of the student.
    And so: if permitting a group leads to harassment of students then it's seen as a problem, yes?

    That's my point. The potential for these types of issues.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  3. #133
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:44 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    30,742

    Re: Pro-Life High School Group Says Principal Banned Them From Using Life-Sized Fetus

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    And so: if permitting a group leads to harassment of students then it's seen as a problem, yes?

    That's my point.
    it doesn't matter if they think it will lead to. that does not fly as an argument to stop them. it actually has to result in a actual action.
    the SCOTUS has ruled on this plenty of times.

  4. #134
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,986

    Re: Pro-Life High School Group Says Principal Banned Them From Using Life-Sized Fetus

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Not against me. I'm pro-choice (well, in the first trimester anyway).

    Perhaps that "Libertarian" tag over to the left is confusing to you? Libertarians are typically pro-choice. They're against lifers, not me.
    No, nothing confused me, it was just pretty clear from your posting. It has really has nothing to do with your political lean, though I'm amused you thought it did.

  5. #135
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,210

    Re: Pro-Life High School Group Says Principal Banned Them From Using Life-Sized Fetus

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Show me where it says it doesn't apply to school kids. Thanks in advance.
    You are straining and you may hurt yourself, but if you are that much interested it is right next to not being allowed to shout fire in a theater.

  6. #136
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,210

    Re: Pro-Life High School Group Says Principal Banned Them From Using Life-Sized Fetus

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    you would be wrong and the SCOTUS has also said that you are not correct. students do not lose their 1st amendment rights when they walk into a school.
    Actually I am not wrong and no one is taking away their rights.

  7. #137
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Pro-Life High School Group Says Principal Banned Them From Using Life-Sized Fetus

    Quote Originally Posted by ludin View Post
    it doesn't matter if they think it will lead to. that does not fly as an argument to stop them. it actually has to result in a actual action.
    the SCOTUS has ruled on this plenty of times.
    The scotus hasn't ruled on *this* in particular and thus it's open to concern and discussion. What's the purpose of the group: to inform or to harass? Anyway - I think their behavior, attitudes, and actions are what would make it tolerable or not. If they cross lines it's obvious they shouldn't be allowed to carry on.

    Either way: I think it's distasteful to display anything pertaining to bodily functions or gore in a lunch hall (regardless of what it is). Outside of an eating area: I don't care so much.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Pro-Life High School Group Says Principal Banned Them From Using Life-Sized Fetus

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    No, nothing confused me, it was just pretty clear from your posting. It has really has nothing to do with your political lean, though I'm amused you thought it did.
    Very well...then why say it? Were you under the impression that I was pro-life?

    I'm not against liberal agendas in schools. I'm against the hypocrisy involved, where conservatives aren't afforded those same rights. If you have the "rainbow brigade" in one room and the "ABORTION IS MURDER!" crowd in the next room, I'm good with it. However, we both know that it's not the case.

  9. #139
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Over the edge...
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    14,210

    Re: Pro-Life High School Group Says Principal Banned Them From Using Life-Sized Fetus

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Either way: I think it's distasteful to display anything pertaining to bodily functions or gore in a lunch hall (regardless of what it is). Outside of an eating area: I don't care so much.
    Not only that but the astounding hypocrisy demonstrated in some of these arguments buy those who will vehemently oppose sex ed in schools but care less about who or what aged kids will be exposed to a display that has not academic sanctioning or control of any sort only because it furthers their anti-choice agenda.

  10. #140
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Pro-Life High School Group Says Principal Banned Them From Using Life-Sized Fetus

    Quote Originally Posted by prometeus View Post
    Not only that but the astounding hypocrisy demonstrated in some of these arguments buy those who will vehemently oppose sex ed in schools but care less about who or what aged kids will be exposed to a display that has not academic sanctioning or control of any sort only because it furthers their anti-choice agenda.
    That raises the concern: if a group's intent is to guide someone's health choices and concerns like parenting, is that even tolerable?

    If the school cannot teach it because they're governed by law then can students take on that role? What sets the standard, here? At what point is a student just voicing their opinion and at what point are they taking on the role of being a sanctioned type of 'teacher'.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •