Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 443

Thread: Crimea votes to join Russia[W:223]

  1. #391
    Whoa, daddy!
    MadLib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,225

    Re: Crimea votes to join Russia[W:223]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    The fact is that the people of Crimea want to be a part of Russia. IN FACT CRIMEA WAS GIVEN TO UKRAINE BY Khrushchev in 1954.
    The fact is that Stalin killed many of the Ukrainians who lived in Crimea and deported much of the Tatars.

    Ethnic irredentism works both ways, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Hah. If someone put me in their sig, I'd never know. I have sigs off.

  2. #392
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Crimea votes to join Russia[W:223]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Like I said before, where we stand now is that the US has it's puppet government in Ukraine
    Yeah, but like everyone had been telling you, that's actually not true.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  3. #393
    Sage
    Quag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,041

    Re: Crimea votes to join Russia[W:223]

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    That's your refutation? Lmao.
    That's your argument?
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
    Winston Churchill



    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

  4. #394
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Crimea votes to join Russia[W:223]

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    The fact is that Stalin killed many of the Ukrainians who lived in Crimea and deported much of the Tatars.

    Ethnic irredentism works both ways, you know.
    The fact is that the Europeans killed many of the native Americans and settled in what we now called the United States. What happened in Crimea was to be expected.

  5. #395
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Crimea votes to join Russia[W:223]

    Quote Originally Posted by OldWorldOrder View Post
    Yeah, but like everyone had been telling you, that's actually not true.
    There been things put forward as truth in this thread, that turned out to actually be false when going back and reading what was actually said.

    More importantly, not everyone agrees

    Washington's Man Yatsenyuk Setting Ukraine Up For Ruin - Forbes

    After Yanukovych and the political opposition agreed to an orderly transition toward new elections, the opposition shattered the agreement quickly and took strategic positions around Kiev. Many voices in the Western press say the country could break apart.

    Despite these ominous signs, Ukraine Ambassador Geoffrey Pyatt hailed the current crisis as “a day for the history books.” Most of the mainstream media have leaned decisively in the anti-Yanukovych camp.

    Ukraine’s new 450-seat parliament approved the appointment of the former Central Banker Yatsenyuk on Thursday by a vote of 371 to 1. Oddly enough, earlier this month, the pro-Western Yats trailed behind popular opposition leaders such as former heavyweight boxer Viltali Klitschko and the leader of the nationalist, Svoboda Party, Oleh Tyahnybok. But Yats had friends in high places and while he does not have strong support of the electorate, and would have no chance of winning an election, he is pro-IMF austerity and apparently the bulk of parliament is as well.

  6. #396
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Crimea votes to join Russia[W:223]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    It's not just me. Apparently Euromaidan, the people that were protesting against Yanukovych, believed it. Here's something from their Facebook page

    https://www.facebook.com/emaidanua/p...58345107588502
    Victoria Nuland wasn't just out there passing out cookies. She was threatening to kick some butt!
    Facebook seems as good a news source as any coming from that area, and Victoria Nuland kicking Ukrainian butt must have been a sight to see. It's the one Obama appointee who seems more than capable at her job.

  7. #397
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Crimea votes to join Russia[W:223]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Facebook seems as good a news source as any coming from that area, and Victoria Nuland kicking Ukrainian butt must have been a sight to see. It's the one Obama appointee who seems more than capable at her job.
    Yeah, I wish I would have been there to see her laying down the law to Akhmetov. That must have been a sight to see.

    And yep, it was TACTICAL brilliance. The problem is that it was STRATEGIC foolishness. And you have made a point here. If you are going to put the biting dogs out, you need to be able to be the guiding intelligence to the dogs and be able to control them. And guess where the fault lies ultimately there? The President of the United States. He made a very big strategic error here. Why? Because it exposed the weakness with regards to Crimea, and although he gained the rest of Ukraine, it came at the price of relations with Russia going down the toilet and the loss of Crimea. And while the rest of Ukraine is of some strategic value to the United States, it was not worth the price that was paid for it.

    Therefore like I said before, the way to strike at Russia now is to win over Iran. The big reason why Crimea is important to Russia is because it is from there that they can access and project power into the Middle East. That's why striking at Russia through Iran would pay off big dividends. Heck, if the US played that one right, Russia could lose the base they have in Syria as a result, because Iran is very good friends with Assad. But you need a different type of dog from Nuland for that project. I'm sure there is someone that could pull that off.

  8. #398
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,127

    Re: Crimea votes to join Russia[W:223]

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Had the west not interfered with president Assad's war on terror, he would have crushed the rebellion early on and there wouldn't be over a hundred thousand dead now.
    Does Putin pay you to promote his propaganda?

  9. #399
    Live, Love, Laugh.
    SayMyName's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Taizhou, China
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 08:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: Crimea votes to join Russia[W:223]

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Well it looks like the people of Crimea has spoken. NINETY FIVE PERCENT voted to join Russia. WOW!!!

    We'll see what the people in Washington say who have been pushing democracy and the will of the people.

    Ukraine crisis: Early results show Crimea votes to join Russia - CNN.com
    So, Its back in the fold of Russia where it was from 1783 when it was taken from a islamic Khanate, long before Ukraine even existed. Interesting development, but not unforeseen.

  10. #400
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Crimea votes to join Russia[W:223]

    Quote Originally Posted by SayMyName View Post
    So, Its back in the fold of Russia where it was from 1783 when it was taken from a islamic Khanate, long before Ukraine even existed. Interesting development, but not unforeseen.
    No it wasn't unforeseen, which exactly why it was a big strategic blunder. Therefore the US needs to gain strategic advantage by using Iran against Russia. In this way Putin can be strangled without inflicting harm on the West.

Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •