Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 195

Thread: Nasa-funded study: industrial civilisation headed for 'irreversible collapse'?[W:76]

  1. #51
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    re: Nasa-funded study: industrial civilisation headed for 'irreversible collapse'?[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    There certainly is a way off this rock, there are people orbiting above it as we speak. The issue is a reliable, cheap, and ideally reusable lifter to get us to orbit and beyond. Fortunately we're undergoing a veritable renaissance in space development driven largely (but not exclusively) by the emergence of the commercial space sector. There are multiple competing plans for a reusable space vehicle and no small hope that one of them may succeed. Hundreds of years? I really don't think so.

    Plus if we really, really needed to there are ways to throw a ton of mass into orbit (and beyond) that we could opt to.
    Ok I should have been more specific.

    There is no permanent way off of this rock.

    No technology can get us to another world to live on which was the point ofthe discussion. We are centuries if not millenis away from such technological ability.

    Going into orbit is meaningless to this end

  2. #52
    Educator Soupnazi630's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    11-08-14 @ 09:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    855

    re: Nasa-funded study: industrial civilisation headed for 'irreversible collapse'?[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Really? So we don't have an International Space Station? NASA has not in the past launched maned space flights? We didn't travel to the moon? For there being no way off this rock, we seem to have had quite a few who left it for a short time.
    Yes for a short time.

    There is no way off permanently.

  3. #53
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    re: Nasa-funded study: industrial civilisation headed for 'irreversible collapse'?[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by Soupnazi630 View Post
    Ok I should have been more specific.

    There is no permanent way off of this rock.

    No technology can get us to another world to live on which was the point ofthe discussion. We are centuries if not millenis away from such technological ability.

    Going into orbit is meaningless to this end
    Virtually no advocates of space colonization or the exploitation of its resources are practical advocates of interstellar or even intrasolar planetary colonization. Getting to orbit cheaply is however incredibly important if you are going to begin constructing orbital colonies built with the prodigious resources available to us within the inner solar system, starting with the moon. Once you have a cheap and reliable way to get to orbit the possibilities are endless. Will we see it in our lifetime? I'm fairly young so I hope so, but it certainly (barring some cataclysm) isn't centuries off at all.

  4. #54
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    re: Nasa-funded study: industrial civilisation headed for 'irreversible collapse'?[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Then they don't need government assistance. They need to spend wisely and live within their means.
    40 hours a week for minimum wage pays for housing in exactly zero states.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #55
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    re: Nasa-funded study: industrial civilisation headed for 'irreversible collapse'?[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    40 hours a week for minimum wage pays for housing in exactly zero states.
    Single family dwelling, that may be true. But it does pay for housing. They get and deserve what they earn, nothing more. If that is a mat in a flop house, oh well, they should do something to improve themselves. If they are too lazy to, then they get what they earn.

    And it does, in many areas. Thats 1160+ a month which is less than the average for housing in almost every town in Texas and other states.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  6. #56
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    re: Nasa-funded study: industrial civilisation headed for 'irreversible collapse'?[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by Soupnazi630 View Post
    Yes for a short time.

    There is no way off permanently.
    Bull****. NASA has been studying it for decades. They know how to do it, they just cannot afford to do it because we waste way to much money on the lazy welfare crowd.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  7. #57
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    re: Nasa-funded study: industrial civilisation headed for 'irreversible collapse'?[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    They get and deserve what they earn, nothing more.
    The ultimate failure of conservatism and libertarianism can be found right here.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #58
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,483

    re: Nasa-funded study: industrial civilisation headed for 'irreversible collapse'?[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Virtually no advocates of space colonization or the exploitation of its resources are practical advocates of interstellar or even intrasolar planetary colonization. Getting to orbit cheaply is however incredibly important if you are going to begin constructing orbital colonies built with the prodigious resources available to us within the inner solar system, starting with the moon. Once you have a cheap and reliable way to get to orbit the possibilities are endless. Will we see it in our lifetime? I'm fairly young so I hope so, but it certainly (barring some cataclysm) isn't centuries off at all.
    You're not really talking about mining the moon are you?

  9. #59
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    re: Nasa-funded study: industrial civilisation headed for 'irreversible collapse'?[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
    You're not really talking about mining the moon are you?
    Among other things. The lunar regolith is what you want to refine, asteroids and other natural debris are likely better bets for bulk construction.

  10. #60
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,483

    re: Nasa-funded study: industrial civilisation headed for 'irreversible collapse'?[W:76]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Among other things. The lunar regolith is what you want to refine, asteroids and other natural debris are likely better bets for bulk construction.
    The moon is a very useful thing. It's gravitation force stabilizes the Earth's orbit around the sun, gives us oceanic tides, and serves as a middleman between us and some potentially dangerous comets and asteroids. People should think about that before reducing its mass or otherwise ripping chunks out of it to harvest materials. Personally, I don't think we should be playing around with the moons in our solar system unless you're talking about something like harvesting methane from Titan.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •