Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 375

Thread: Russia says intercepted US drone over Crimea: arms group[W:157]

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 11:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,788

    Re: Russia says intercepted US drone over Crimea: arms group

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    Thats a very specific claim. They claim to have pictures, I would not be surprised if they do. Then what do you say?
    I would like to see the pictures and then determine if it is the real thing - or if it looks like a cardboard cutout.

  2. #12
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,569

    Re: Russia says intercepted US drone over Crimea: arms group

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    You didn't read the very brief initial post. They have it, its not broken apart. Just like Iran.

    Our weak president will probably apologize.
    Apologize to who? Ukrane is a ally and Crimea is still a part of the Ukrane...so if the US or Nato had permission to fly overhead, to whom do the US/Nato apologize to? Putin?
    Last edited by 1750Texan; 03-16-14 at 09:34 AM.


  3. #13
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,569

    Re: Russia says intercepted US drone over Crimea: arms group

    Quote Originally Posted by US Conservative View Post
    You didn't read the very brief initial post. They have it, its not broken apart. Just like Iran.

    Our weak president will probably apologize.
    double post


  4. #14
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Russia says intercepted US drone over Crimea: arms group

    Knowing what I do about electronic attack equipment and radar, it is highly probable that Russia is able and has intercepted a drone using it. The US has been falling behind in electronic attack technology. At some point, stealth technology will be pretty much worthless and countermeasures is where the new air war will be fought and won or lost.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Russia says intercepted US drone over Crimea: arms group

    So, we were spying on the Russians using drones, and they managed to capture one. Big deal. That's the purpose of using drones, isn't it, so that when one is captured, there is no hostage to parade about the square while hooting about how the evil US has been spying on them?

    Remember Francis Gary Powers and his U2?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #16
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    Re: Russia says intercepted US drone over Crimea: arms group

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Knowing what I do about electronic attack equipment and radar, it is highly probable that Russia is able and has intercepted a drone using it. The US has been falling behind in electronic attack technology. At some point, stealth technology will be pretty much worthless and countermeasures is where the new air war will be fought and won or lost.
    Enjoyed the post.

    ...would only ask you to elaborate a bit, flesh out for us what means countermeasures may take... which would lead one to wondering what measures could one possibly use to counter or obviate those potentially predictable countermeasures? Just what shape might those squares on the game board plausibly take?
    Gracias.
    "...But resist we much, we must and we will much, about that be committed..." --- the right Reverend Alfred Charles "Al" Shaprton, Jr.

  7. #17
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,697

    Re: Russia says intercepted US drone over Crimea: arms group

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    So, we were spying on the Russians using drones, and they managed to capture one. Big deal. That's the purpose of using drones, isn't it, so that when one is captured, there is no hostage to parade about the square while hooting about how the evil US has been spying on them?

    Remember Francis Gary Powers and his U2?
    I think the point is more that Crimea is part of the Ukraine, and an ally of the US so what business do the Russians have shooting down our drones in our allies air space? It's not the act of someone who, as he claims, is just their for the security of ethnic Russians. He can't claim Crimean independence either because his rigged election hasn't even happened yet.
    Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and he stops voting for the Free Fish party.

  8. #18
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,910

    Re: Russia says intercepted US drone over Crimea: arms group

    You gotta remember, when someone is quite overtly rooting for Russia, they'll use whatever propaganda they can dredge up.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,580

    Re: Russia says intercepted US drone over Crimea: arms group

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    I think the point is more that Crimea is part of the Ukraine, and an ally of the US so what business do the Russians have shooting down our drones in our allies air space? It's not the act of someone who, as he claims, is just their for the security of ethnic Russians. He can't claim Crimean independence either because his rigged election hasn't even happened yet.
    My understanding is that they still have the drone, not that it was shot down. The reason that they captured it is that it was, no doubt, there to spy on Russian forces. So, what do we do about it? Maybe some ranting and hooting about how they have stolen a drone that was flying in the airspace of an ally is in order for the propaganda value such ranting might have. Meanwhile, does anyone think that there was just one drone?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  10. #20
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Russia says intercepted US drone over Crimea: arms group

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Enjoyed the post.

    ...would only ask you to elaborate a bit, flesh out for us what means countermeasures may take... which would lead one to wondering what measures could one possibly use to counter or obviate those potentially predictable countermeasures? Just what shape might those squares on the game board plausibly take?
    Gracias.
    I can't discuss much of what I know publicly due to the sensitive nature of the information but I can postulate. EW (Electronic Warfare) will all boil down to who uses the best deception technology as well as who uses the best detection technology to defeat that deception. It is a suttle game of cat and mouse between technically advanced countries. When one figures out a way to defeat the electronic deception used by fighters and bombers of one country, that country must figure out a way of defeating the detection abilities of that threat.

    For example, the F-22 is currently the top of the line when it comes to countermeasures used to defeat detection by it's enemies. The next step is for it's enemies to defeat its electronic countermeasures with new technology.

    Nothing is completely invisible to detection. Either visually, electronically or thermally, everything has a signature. The trick of the trade is to make that signature as small as possible so that it can be hidden or mistaken as something else. How embarassing or counterproductive would it be for a military unit to waste all their time tracking a radar target that turns out to be a flock of birds, a bird, or even a mosquito? That is when other methods of detection must be found. And when you have a radar, thermal, accoustic or visual signature of something as small as a small bird or insect, its easy to use electronic countermeasures to fool the radar of the enemy to focus on something larger than you..
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •