Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 255

Thread: Beer makers drop out of St. Patrick's Parades that Ban Openly Gay Marchers.....

  1. #11
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Beer makers drop out of St. Patrick's Parades that Ban Openly Gay Marchers.....

    Quote Originally Posted by austrianecon View Post
    I think it's pretty stupid. Sam Adams and Heineken aren't doing anything brave, just protecting their bottom line. If they did this 10 years ago, good on them. But it was only under threat and threat for a company like Heineken who's fighting to keep market share in the US..

    I also find it ironic people are up in arms about the policies in NYC and Boston. The holiday is St. Patrick's Day, a catholic holiday. It's religious in nature and will always be.
    Religious in nature???? Have you been to a St. Paddy's Day parade? There are all manner of people and groups in that parade. It doesn't have the least impression of religion as presented in the USA.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  2. #12
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Beer makers drop out of St. Patrick's Parades that Ban Openly Gay Marchers.....

    Makes me proud to be a Sam Adams drinker and fan!

    For the love of beer! And every beer drinker!
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  3. #13
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Beer makers drop out of St. Patrick's Parades that Ban Openly Gay Marchers.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Seems all it took.....was a Facebook Page of Bars saying they would no longer Serve Sam Adams beer if they didn't pull their support for this St Patty's Day Parade. What are your thoughts upon the matter? Right thing to do or not?
    From an economic sense, it was probably the right move by Sam Adams. Alot of their market is in north east blue states where a boycott could gain a relative amount of strength. A certain number of those opposed to their decision - especially those who are going to remember they pulled out, dont drink alcohol at all.

    Though I wont be drinking anymore Sam Adams, I dont drink it that much to start with and I am just an individual, whereas a bar serves thousands.

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    I'm curious then if all of the persons in the parade are restricted from using banners or whatever to suggest who they are. I've often seen marching bands with their colors and school banners, and the VFW, and sports teams.... Why shouldn't this group be able to have their banners and signage?
    Because fundamentally, the parade is a private event (so is the gay pride parade) and the orgainizers, acting as private individuals, dont want them to (probably because they feel the signs may conflict with the religous and cultural aspects of their event)
    Last edited by Cryptic; 03-15-14 at 10:28 AM.

  4. #14
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Beer makers drop out of St. Patrick's Parades that Ban Openly Gay Marchers.....

    Quote Originally Posted by austrianecon View Post
    . The holiday is St. Patrick's Day, a catholic holiday. It's religious in nature and will always be.
    So true.

    I mean, I can hardly count the number of times I thanked God I was able to find somebody to drive me home because I was not in a state to do so, myself, due to the effects of the typical St Paddy's day rituals.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  5. #15
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Beer makers drop out of St. Patrick's Parades that Ban Openly Gay Marchers.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Seems all it took.....was a Facebook Page of Bars saying they would no longer Serve Sam Adams beer if they didn't pull their support for this St Patty's Day Parade. What are your thoughts upon the matter? Right thing to do or not?
    Depends. Were other types of signs from other groups banned also? Or just LGBT groups? If all types of signs were banned then I don't think it was the right thing to do. If only LGBT signs were banned then yeah, it was the right thing to do.

    I could understand those cities or parade officials only wanting signs that have to do with St Patricks day being displayed and nothing political being displayed. But if they only banned one while allowing the rest then that would be wrong.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #16
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Beer makers drop out of St. Patrick's Parades that Ban Openly Gay Marchers.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Two major beer manufacturers on Friday dropped sponsorship of St. Patrick's Day parades in New York City and Boston to protest bans on gays marching openly.



    Sam Adams pulled out of Boston's parade, which takes place on Sunday, and Heineken yanked its support of the New York City parade, slated for Monday. Both parades are allowing gay groups to march but are banning signage about sexual orientation.

    Gay rights activists praised Heineken's decision.

    "Heineken sent the right message to LGBT youth, customers and employees who simply want to be part of the celebration," Sarah Kate Ellis, president of gay rights group GLAAD, said in a statement.

    A Heineken representative told CNBC on Friday: "We believe in equality for all. We are no longer a sponsor of Monday's parade."

    In February, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that he would not be marching in this year's parade in support of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community. Boston Mayor Martin Walsh has vowed not to attend the parade unless LGBT groups are allowed to march openly.....snip~

    Beer makers drop out of St. Patrick's parades that ban openly gay marchers

    Seems all it took.....was a Facebook Page of Bars saying they would no longer Serve Sam Adams beer if they didn't pull their support for this St Patty's Day Parade. What are your thoughts upon the matter? Right thing to do or not?
    I don't have much to say about it, really. Let them ban openly gay people. Who cares? And let people drop out who are offended by it, and I'll celebrate them. Seems like that's the American Way. Just publicize who's doing what and let public opinion sort it out.

  7. #17
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-17 @ 02:13 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,127

    Re: Beer makers drop out of St. Patrick's Parades that Ban Openly Gay Marchers.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    Religious in nature???? Have you been to a St. Paddy's Day parade? There are all manner of people and groups in that parade. It doesn't have the least impression of religion as presented in the USA.
    Yes, it's a Religious holiday. St. Patrick's Day is a religious holiday afforded to Catholics, specifically, Irish Catholics which Lent's "rules' don't apply. Basically it's our free day to ignore prayer, penance, repentance of sins, almsgiving, atonement and self-denial part of Lent (which is on going). So you'll see all kinds of things related to the religious holiday because it's like one big trip to Las Vegas for us.
    But we don't abandon the religious aspect to the holiday.. why you think the shamrock is used as a symbol? Because St. Patrick used it to explain to the Irish the Holy Trinity. You know, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Yep, been to plenty of them (parades) and been drunk off my ass on St. Patrick's Day, but only after I've gone to mass and had a quiet dinner with family.

    St. Patrick's day in the US is celebrated by Irish, Irish-Americans, and others.. I can't stop the others from celebrating and don't because St. Patrick's day is a party day for Irish Catholics (which I am one). But those who organize the parades can decide who's in the parade and how the behave. AOH (Ancient Order of Hibernians) organizes NYC's parade and let's just say.. you are better off pissing into the wind as they follow Church policy.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. H.L Mencken

  8. #18
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    08-25-17 @ 02:13 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,127

    Re: Beer makers drop out of St. Patrick's Parades that Ban Openly Gay Marchers.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Depends. Were other types of signs from other groups banned also? Or just LGBT groups? If all types of signs were banned then I don't think it was the right thing to do. If only LGBT signs were banned then yeah, it was the right thing to do.

    I could understand those cities or parade officials only wanting signs that have to do with St Patricks day being displayed and nothing political being displayed. But if they only banned one while allowing the rest then that would be wrong.

    Supreme Court disagree with you.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office. H.L Mencken

  9. #19
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Beer makers drop out of St. Patrick's Parades that Ban Openly Gay Marchers.....

    Quote Originally Posted by austrianecon View Post
    Yes, it's a Religious holiday. St. Patrick's Day is a religious holiday afforded to Catholics, specifically, Irish Catholics which Lent's "rules' don't apply. Basically it's our free day to ignore prayer, penance, repentance of sins, almsgiving, atonement and self-denial part of Lent (which is on going). So you'll see all kinds of things related to the religious holiday because it's like one big trip to Las Vegas for us.
    But we don't abandon the religious aspect to the holiday.. why you think the shamrock is used as a symbol? Because St. Patrick used it to explain to the Irish the Holy Trinity. You know, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Yep, been to plenty of them (parades) and been drunk off my ass on St. Patrick's Day, but only after I've gone to mass and had a quiet dinner with family.

    St. Patrick's day in the US is celebrated by Irish, Irish-Americans, and others.. I can't stop the others from celebrating and don't because St. Patrick's day is a party day for Irish Catholics (which I am one). But those who organize the parades can decide who's in the parade and how the behave. AOH (Ancient Order of Hibernians) organizes NYC's parade and let's just say.. you are better off pissing into the wind as they follow Church policy.
    St. Patricks day is for the Irish, but like Christmas and Easter, it is no longer thusly for the rest of the country or for the parades.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  10. #20
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,791

    Re: Beer makers drop out of St. Patrick's Parades that Ban Openly Gay Marchers.....

    Quote Originally Posted by austrianecon View Post
    I think it's pretty stupid. Sam Adams and Heineken aren't doing anything brave, just protecting their bottom line. If they did this 10 years ago, good on them. But it was only under threat and threat for a company like Heineken who's fighting to keep market share in the US..

    I also find it ironic people are up in arms about the policies in NYC and Boston. The holiday is St. Patrick's Day, a catholic holiday. It's religious in nature and will always be.
    "Libertarian" says free market economics is stupid.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •