Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 65

Thread: U.S. to relinquish remaining control over the Internet

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Between Athens and Jerusalem
    Last Seen
    05-18-16 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    33,522

    Re: U.S. to relinquish remaining control over the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    You said the government shouldn't tell people what to do, but here you are defending the government's oversight of an organization which is responsible for telling people what kind of internet domain names they can and cannot have.

    That seems like a pretty good shot
    You think this is about domain names? Way to go thinker.

  2. #42
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: U.S. to relinquish remaining control over the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Not sure of traceroutes from EU locations to EU locations going through Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania area. I didn't think that the expensive and slower long lines across the Atlantic would make that type of traffic routing viable. I made mention of that strictly from the perspective of what makes traffic routing optimization sense. Reality could be different, I'll admit.

    My house is on one cable system, and my friend a few doors down is on another. I'm surprised that it has to go from Michigan to Chicago to jump across and get to the other house, but wherever the first bridge between the two is geographically located I guess.
    Yes that is the theory I agree. It should go the shortest route possible, but it does not always do that. I admit that I have not done trace routes recently, but many moons ago (early 2000s to late 2000s) it certainly was so for specific sites.

    But one example of meddling by the US in the internet was the case of Rojadirect.com. It is a Spanish site, located in Spain and servicing Spain with video streams of sports events. According to Spanish law this is legal, but according to US law it is not. The DHS/FBI seized the domain a few years ago, despite the fact that .com was not technically an "American domain", nor the servers were not located in the US. They also charged the owners but as far as I know the case was latter dismissed because no crime had been committed on US soil, but the domain is still being held.
    PeteEU

  3. #43
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,818
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: U.S. to relinquish remaining control over the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Yes that is the theory I agree. It should go the shortest route possible, but it does not always do that. I admit that I have not done trace routes recently, but many moons ago (early 2000s to late 2000s) it certainly was so for specific sites.

    But one example of meddling by the US in the internet was the case of Rojadirect.com. It is a Spanish site, located in Spain and servicing Spain with video streams of sports events. According to Spanish law this is legal, but according to US law it is not. The DHS/FBI seized the domain a few years ago, despite the fact that .com was not technically an "American domain", nor the servers were not located in the US. They also charged the owners but as far as I know the case was latter dismissed because no crime had been committed on US soil, but the domain is still being held.
    Once again, we can see the result of over zealous government intervention, and in this case, it seems wholly unfounded.

  4. #44
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: U.S. to relinquish remaining control over the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Once again, we can see the result of over zealous government intervention, and in this case, it seems wholly unfounded.
    Well the streams were/are illegal according to US law (and many other laws), just not Spanish. Point is the US should not have any jurisdiction to seize any domain's on servers that are not located on US soil.
    PeteEU

  5. #45
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,818
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: U.S. to relinquish remaining control over the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Well the streams were/are illegal according to US law (and many other laws), just not Spanish. Point is the US should not have any jurisdiction to seize any domain's on servers that are not located on US soil.
    Agreed. As the streams were illegal in other countries, I could see / understand / would agree with restrictions imposed on the stream providers making them ensure that their streams were / are prevented from being delivered to IPs other than where they were legal. Firewall or server rules perhaps?

  6. #46
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,863

    Re: U.S. to relinquish remaining control over the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    It is threads like this that drive home to Americans the terrible devastation that multiculturalism has wreaked upon America and the formerly great American culture.

    How true it is that you cannot create a sense of culture and national pride with an immigration contract.
    What the **** are you talking about
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  7. #47
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,863

    Re: U.S. to relinquish remaining control over the Internet

    I can't say I'm surprised by two peoples' posts in thus thread.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  8. #48
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: U.S. to relinquish remaining control over the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    Agreed. As the streams were illegal in other countries, I could see / understand / would agree with restrictions imposed on the stream providers making them ensure that their streams were / are prevented from being delivered to IPs other than where they were legal. Firewall or server rules perhaps?
    Block the site from being accessed from the US.. but seizing the domain did not do that.. it still out there and easily accessed in the US.
    PeteEU

  9. #49
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,818
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: U.S. to relinquish remaining control over the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Block the site from being accessed from the US.. but seizing the domain did not do that.. it still out there and easily accessed in the US.
    The Fed's just don't 'get' the Internet. Must have something to do with Al Gore 'inventing' it. Probably equally confused.

  10. #50
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,089

    Re: U.S. to relinquish remaining control over the Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    The Fed's just don't 'get' the Internet. Must have something to do with Al Gore 'inventing' it. Probably equally confused.
    It is not the "feds", it is politicians in general.. and it comes down to age for the most part. They actually think that the Internet has borders and are trying to keep those borders in place so to keep political control through outdated laws that have not been adapted to a world with the Internet.
    PeteEU

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •