Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 86

Thread: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

  1. #61
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,669

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    I don't mean lies, exaggerations, and blind demonization like DARE.
    ??? Me either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #62
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    ??? Me either.
    I guess it's anecdotal, but DARE was the only real attempt to educate kids about drug abuse when I was in school. And it failed miserably because they lost all credibility with their lies, half-truths, and manipulations. You said this stuff has been in school curriculum for decades, and maybe they did a good job where you went to school, but that's certainly not my experience.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Effectiveness of DARE program:

    Objectives. We provide an updated meta-analysis on the effectiveness of Project D.A.R.E. in preventing alcohol, tobacco, and illicit drug use among school-aged youths.

    Methods. We used meta-analytic techniques to create an overall effect size for D.A.R.E. outcome evaluations reported in scientific journals.

    Results. The overall weighted effect size for the included D.A.R.E. studies was extremely small (correlation coefficient = 0.011; Cohen d = 0.023; 95% confidence inProject D.A.R.E. Outcome Effectiveness Revisitedterval = −0.04, 0.08) and nonsignificant (z = 0.73, NS).

    Conclusions. Our study supports previous findings indicating that D.A.R.E. is ineffective.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #64
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Real-life documentaries that follow actual addicts through their attempts and failures to get clean. Addicts who don't even get high from it anymore, but they have to keep using so they don't constantly feel like they have the flu. Showing stuff like this in the classroom would do a hell of a lot more good than some dude cooking an egg or an angry woman smashing up her kitchen with a frying pan. Prove to the kids that we're not just being prude old out-of-touch adults about this. That they really don't want to even start down that road, much less get that far.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    Real-life documentaries that follow actual addicts through their attempts and failures to get clean. Addicts who don't even get high from it anymore, but they have to keep using so they don't constantly feel like they have the flu. Showing stuff like this in the classroom would do a hell of a lot more good than some dude cooking an egg or an angry woman smashing up her kitchen with a frying pan. Prove to the kids that we're not just being prude old out-of-touch adults about this. That they really don't want to even start down that road, much less get that far.
    You'd think that would convince at least some of them to leave the drugs alone.

    But, some of them at least see that sort of thing first hand at home, and still get hooked.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #66
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,669

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Come on....they 'educate' them all about the dangers of smoking cigarettes and look at how many people still take up smoking?

    Maybe they see the blatant hypocrisy in alcohol & cigs being legal but keeping pot illegal and just dismiss it all as BS. It's hard to maintain credibility after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #67
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    You'd think that would convince at least some of them to leave the drugs alone.

    But, some of them at least see that sort of thing first hand at home, and still get hooked.
    Yes, that's true. It's not an overnight cure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Come on....they 'educate' them all about the dangers of smoking cigarettes and look at how many people still take up smoking?
    Actually cigarette smoking among young people is at an all time low.

    This article says the main reason is because smoking is culturally "out". It says that was accomplished by public smoking bans, higher taxes, and fewer smokers depicted on TV/movies. I have to admit it also says school education programs have been ineffective, which makes me think I could be wrong about pushing education as the better solution. I think at least it should be something that encourages people to not want to get blitzed enough to possibly act like a menace. If doing that is "uncool" among their peers, then they're less likely to do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Maybe they see the blatant hypocrisy in alcohol & cigs being legal but keeping pot illegal and just dismiss it all as BS. It's hard to maintain credibility after that.
    How true that is.

  8. #68
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,435

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    It's time for us to start using The Dram Act. Find out where that idiot got his booze and hold deep pockets accountable for tragedies like this. Nothing is going to change until we start going after the bars and restaurants who over-serve and then let someone walk out of their establishments with car keys.

    What a tragedy.
    Who said anybody over-served? If he had one drink and was impaired he wold still have been arrested.

  9. #69
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,435

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I agree with the responsible party is the guy who drank too much. But we have The Dram Act for a reason. And every Friday/Saturday night at bars all over this country, sloppy drunks are getting served.
    Why don't you blame the law for being extremely hard on drunks? That is why he ran to aviod those punishments.

    Why not blame the cop for chasing him? Why not blame the car manufacturer for making the weapon?

  10. #70
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Who said anybody over-served? If he had one drink and was impaired he wold still have been arrested.
    His blood alcohol was .11.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •