Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 86

Thread: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

  1. #31
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,569

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Time to ban bar hopping. Too dangerous. Deadly in fact. Think of the children.
    There was no indication he even got drunk at SXSW. He allegedly stole that car in Kileen Tx. He could have got high on the way down to Austin.

    How many people die each year at spring break in Fla? 2-3? Gonna ban spring break cuz drunks die or hit someone?


  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by 1750Texan View Post
    There was no indication he even got drunk at SXSW. He allegedly stole that car in Kileen Tx. He could have got high on the way down to Austin.

    How many people die each year at spring break in Fla? 2-3? Gonna ban spring break cuz drunks die or hit someone?
    Should. Makes traffic a bitch.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,975

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post
    Well obviously. But you aren't suggesting they should be able to sit in their car in public, are you?!
    They must conceal it on their person so they dont scare the public.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #34
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,209

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by 1750Texan View Post
    There was no indication he even got drunk at SXSW. He allegedly stole that car in Kileen Tx. He could have got high on the way down to Austin.

    How many people die each year at spring break in Fla? 2-3? Gonna ban spring break cuz drunks die or hit someone?
    He was only 'suspected' of drinking. I don't think the toxicology report is completed.

    And yes, anywhere you put that many young people who are stoned and drunk together, there will be issues.
    32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
    Matt. 10:32-33

  5. #35
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    The world is a dangerous place. Lots of things can kill us and one day one of them will. Until then, I'd rather live free than in a world where the government micromanages every aspect of our lives for our own good. Some twit did something really stupid, careless and criminal. Punish him. Let's not try to change the whole freakin' world in a ridiculous attempt to make sure no other twits can do something stupid that will cause some people to die. No matter how twit-proof you try to make the world, the world will just come back with more effective twits.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  6. #36
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,975

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Sometimes I think no one, esp. conservatives, ever read my signature (the one in blue).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #37
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,435

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Sometimes I think no one, esp. conservatives, ever read my signature (the one in blue).
    I, for one, have sigs off because most people just put a bunch of stupid spammy crap in theirs.

  8. #38
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    There are plenty of laws on the books prohibiting bartenders (bars) from over-serving regardless of whether they're driving. When you hear 2 people dead and 26 injured (at least a half-dozen seriously**), it begs the question: "Who served him the alcohol?" We are more likely to prosecute (at least civilly) a private home's owners than we are bartenders and their employers. There's nothing wrong with insisting on professional responsibility.

    **Just think: brain damage; paralysis; whatever. Families and lives destroyed. If a bar, in the name of profit, ignorance or embarrassment served a guy well-past oblivion? I think they should also be held responsible.
    I know there are laws. I just don't think they are as effective as better education would be, because they target the symptom instead of the problem. Laws restricting how much bartenders can serve don't do anything to affect how much a person drinks at home, or in the parking lot, or at their neighbor's barbecue, etc. Brain damage, paralysis, families and lives destroyed, drunk driving - these are all problems that stem from alcohol abuse. Not bartenders who serve too much. Over-serving someone is a result of the abuse, not the cause. If the person weren't abusing in the first place, they wouldn't ask to be over-served. If someone abuses any other inanimate object, I don't ask who sold it to them, I ask what's wrong with them. So why should abusing alcohol beg the question "who served it to them?" instead of "what's wrong with them?"
    Last edited by Binary_Digit; 03-13-14 at 06:04 PM.

  9. #39
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    I know there are laws. I just don't think they are as effective as better education would be, because they target the symptom instead of the problem. Laws restricting how much bartenders can serve don't do anything to affect how much a person drinks at home, or in the parking lot, or at their neighbor's barbecue, etc. Brain damage, paralysis, families and lives destroyed, drunk driving - these are all problems that stem from alcohol abuse. Not bartenders who serve too much. Over-serving someone is a result of the abuse, not the cause. If the person weren't abusing in the first place, they wouldn't ask to be over-served. If someone abuses any other inanimate object, I don't ask who sold it to them, I ask what's wrong with them. So why should abusing alcohol beg the question "who served it to them?" instead of "what's wrong with them?"
    I don't disagree with much of what you said about the drunk. I disagree that, as a society, we have no responsibility not to exacerbate what a drunk does.

    If I sell liquor to a minor (or serve it to him), and he kills someone, I'm going to at least be civilly responsible for the end result. Why? Because it's against the law to sell or serve liquor to a minor.

    It's against the law to over-serve as well. If you're saying it shouldn't be, that's another argument. But, in every state, it is.

  10. #40
    Educator

    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    09-07-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    1,037

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    But it's all the hippies smoking pot at the concerts that we should be worried about.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •