Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 86

Thread: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

  1. #11
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    It's time for us to start using The Dram Act. Find out where that idiot got his booze and hold deep pockets accountable for tragedies like this. Nothing is going to change until we start going after the bars and restaurants who over-serve and then let someone walk out of their establishments with car keys.
    I disagree. Bars aren't the problem, people who can't be responsible with their alcohol are. You can't effectively solve a problem if you just treat the symptom. He could have simply gotten blitzed at home and then went out driving. The Dram Act or any other constraint on bartenders can't do anything about that.

    Substance abuse/addition classes should be part of the required curriculum in high schools. Solutions like that would actually address the problem rather than just the symptom.

  2. #12
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    Substance abuse/addition classes should be part of the required curriculum in high schools. Solutions like that would actually address the problem rather than just the symptom.
    Stop the madness. We are much too invested in trying to teach calculus to kids who can't read.

  3. #13
    Guru
    1750Texan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Southcental Texas
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,569

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Yeah, well, that's pretty obvious. But maybe it's time we started finding out.
    That would be very hard to do in Austin durring SXSW. Bars and clubs sell lots of beer and people bar hop. That is a Austin tradition.


    sxsw-parties-450x244[1].jpg

    Home | SXSW 2014


  4. #14
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Stop the madness. We are much too invested in trying to teach calculus to kids who can't read.
    I'm confused. Are you saying high school kids would be unable to learn about the dangers of substance abuse and addiction? That they wouldn't get anything out of watching videos of real people struggling with real addictions and showing how devastating bad decisions with these substances can be?

  5. #15
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    I'm confused. Are you saying high school kids would be unable to learn about the dangers of substance abuse and addiction? That they wouldn't get anything out of watching videos of real people struggling with real addictions and showing how devastating bad decisions with these substances can be?
    No, I'm not saying that. When would you show them the films? In between the sex ed/venereal disease films just before the evils of abortion?

    You apparently don't get sarcasm?

  6. #16
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    No, I'm not saying that. When would you show them the films? In between the sex ed/venereal disease films just before the evils of abortion?
    The logistics shouldn't be that hard for someone to figure out. But don't you agree it would be a better and more effective solution than blaming bartenders for what their patrons do after leaving the bar?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    You apparently don't get sarcasm?
    Just not yours, apparently.

  7. #17
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    The logistics shouldn't be that hard for someone to figure out. But don't you agree it would be a better and more effective solution than blaming bartenders for what their patrons do after leaving the bar?
    There are plenty of laws on the books prohibiting bartenders (bars) from over-serving regardless of whether they're driving. When you hear 2 people dead and 26 injured (at least a half-dozen seriously**), it begs the question: "Who served him the alcohol?" We are more likely to prosecute (at least civilly) a private home's owners than we are bartenders and their employers. There's nothing wrong with insisting on professional responsibility.

    **Just think: brain damage; paralysis; whatever. Families and lives destroyed. If a bar, in the name of profit, ignorance or embarrassment served a guy well-past oblivion? I think they should also be held responsible.

  8. #18
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,849

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by americanwoman View Post
    Yes! We should require all cars to be registered, insured, and the driver must pass a reasonable test to obtain a license to operate them.


    oh wait...

    Great....got any data on what all that prevents? Didnt prevent this tragedy, did it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,251

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    People killed by a car. Obviously, we need more car control.
    only took 9 posts
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  10. #20
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Two dead after drunk plows through SXSW crowd

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    There are plenty of laws on the books prohibiting bartenders (bars) from over-serving regardless of whether they're driving. When you hear 2 people dead and 26 injured (at least a half-dozen seriously**), it begs the question: "Who served him the alcohol?" We are more likely to prosecute (at least civilly) a private home's owners than we are bartenders and their employers. There's nothing wrong with insisting on professional responsibility.

    **Just think: brain damage; paralysis; whatever. Families and lives destroyed. If a bar, in the name of profit, ignorance or embarrassment served a guy well-past oblivion? I think they should also be held responsible.
    It is indeed a tragedy that this happened. But I think you're misdirecting your anger past the person who is responsible for it.

    While holding parties responsible for over-serving someone already intoxicated is not a 'bad' thing, no where in the article does it say that he was 'excessively intoxicated'. Not all alcohol shows it's effects immediately.

    The first and primary responsible party is the one who drank alcohol in the first place.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •